Hello! and Dewalt 36v DC9360 Q's

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Hello all, I am new to the whole E-bike thing, just getting myself educated anywhere and everywhere I can on the web. Thanks in advanced for any and all advice! :mrgreen:

I am a proud new owner (or maybe just the mechanic! :wink: ) of a Amped Bikes rear conversion kit. This kit is set-up for a 36v system, and I am hoping to keep things simple and still take advantage of the Dewalt 36v batteries un-modded. Not looking to hot-rod anything, just looking for close to 20 MPH with no pedaling and about 5 miles range with a 36v battery system.

I have seen where some very talented electronics wizards have hacked these packs to get the most out of them, I am wondering if it is safe to simply keep the packs intact (retaining Dewalt's warranty) and simply running packs in parallel? I have no problems charging them singly, I have been able to get chargers from ebay so cheap I will eventually have one for every battery. So far I have 2 (coming in the mail ... 2 weeks to ship!? lol) that I hope to use to get 5-10 miles range per charge. Please let me know if this is feasible.

P.S. I have VERY limited electronics knowledge. Sure I built a few circuits in electronics class at Benson Poly, but that was ages ago, and I dunno if I even have the right equipment to build even a simple circuit with out damaging the components.

Wonderful! Sounds just like what I am looking for. :D

Am I not going to be able to get near my 10mile range with just 2 DC9360 batteries? Will using just 2 batteries will be more of a limited range issue or a over taxing of the batteries issue?

I may have a hard time convincing my father that we need a 3rd battery,( this first E-bike is his, I plan on getting my own amped kit too when I am able to afford it, untill then I have an old brushed 250Watt motor from a Razor pocket bike to build my own) it's gonna be early Sept. before they arrive anyway. :roll: This bike will almost never be ridden with just battery power, pedaling will always be done too.

I am thinking I might just find a source of cheap used auto SLA batteries to put on an old kid trailer just to have a useful 36V source to get on the road. So far I am very happy with the looks of the Amped Bikes kit, can't wait to take it on the road!

Many things come into play when you start to talk about batteries. Bike and rider weight, type of terrain including the grade of the hills, controller and motor rated amperage and riding habits. Two packs will probly make it with pedaling close to 10 miles but it will be a little hard on the batts. Three or four Dewalt packs would prolong the battery lifecycle and give more range as well.
I am running minimal now 14s2p, that's 2x36 and 1x28 pack cut in half for the other twelve. That is 48 volts, my charger only goes to 51v so I am limited by the voltage I can charge. The pack gets a bit warm running at WOT Wide Open Throttle for 7-8 miles. Waiting for more wire so I can do a couple more packs to be nicer to them and get some decent range.
Build it tough so it will last and you will not have a bad experience.
Good luck

biohazardman said:
Many things come into play when you start to talk about batteries. Bike and rider weight, type of terrain including the grade of the hills, controller and motor rated amperage and riding habits. Two packs will probly make it with pedaling close to 10 miles but it will be a little hard on the batts. Three or four Dewalt packs would prolong the battery lifecycle and give more range as well.
I am running minimal now 14s2p, that's 2x36 and 1x28 pack cut in half for the other twelve. That is 48 volts, my charger only goes to 51v so I am limited by the voltage I can charge. The pack gets a bit warm running at WOT Wide Open Throttle for 7-8 miles. Waiting for more wire so I can do a couple more packs to be nicer to them and get some decent range.
Build it tough so it will last and you will not have a bad experience.
Good luck

I agree with your philosophy, I over-build the strength to last too, my dad however is more of the "make it work!" type. :lol:

I will do my best to convince him to do this with more batteries and with the $5 circuits that make them discharge more efficiently, however, since I will be running them in parallel (my kit is 36v ... I know others are running higher voltage, but I don't need max speed just longevity), will I still be stressing 2 batteries too much for longevity?

With only two you will loose some life span but how much is hard to say. With any luck the short ride will make him want more and he will add another pack or two.

Yeah, I can imagine, I will say however that 99% of the riding won't be done on any very steep hills, and I am the heaviest rider that will be on the bike (165 lbs).
I do have another question to pose, I am using a 36v Amped Bikes kit, and it's going to be annother couple weeks for the batteries to come in the mail (price you pay for free shipping I guess :lol: ) what about using car batteries on a trailer in the mean-time?

I am asking because I know that these controllers are very sensitive precision electronics, and I don't want to over-amp the system. I am a bit rusty on my electrical theory, but if I remember correctly, the system will only draw what power it needs, and as long as I don't ask it to do too much work it shouldn't draw anymore power thus staying safe, however I don't want to risk my kit to impatience! :mrgreen: But yes I really wana ride it :lol: .

Sorry missed this post until now. Really does not matter what kind of batts you use so long as they are at the correct voltage and will supply the minimum amount of amperage needed. Yes controller will only take what it needs. Car batts in a trailer should be fine. Best have some good brakes for that kind of weight.

Back