Hello Forum

skootaman

1 mW
So i just bought a Velocifero 1600w scooter from ebay, conned is not the word, i tested it out once the battery was reading full charge, managed 11.2mph flat out and lasted less than 1000m, so strip down time noticed all 4 x lead acid batteries were bulging so likely are knackered, multimeter battery reading before ride was 52.6v after 1000m and few minutes battery was showing as depleted and multimeter check showed 48v, looked at dc-dc controller thing nothing fried nor anything fried inside the controller box. i know this isn't definitive proof they are not knackered though.

So i was thinking of going down the hub motor route and buying a complete kit of battery, controller and brushless hub motor, problem is i dont know if they exist that will fit this scooter. i am a welder fabricator so a bit of chopping and welding up wont be a problem to retro fit and maybe even larger wheels,

The scooter has good points mainly being looks, lol, apart from that it's pretty sketchy riding badly designed suspension with cheap crappy parts front end is shockingly bad, whats wrong with conventional suspension forks that are tried and trusted instead of making statement with the design.

The rear wheel alignment is hard to achieve aways looks wonky even when fitted with precise even clearance each side of the rim and no markers for chain adjustment.

The thing weighs more than a sherman tank.

I'm just asking about the aforementioned possible upgrades if anyone has done or knows what will fit it would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance forum members.

Skootaman

"....whats wrong with conventional suspension forks that are tried and trusted instead of making statement with the design."

Because that is what sells product ...... why build what people are less likely to buy?
A favourite quote of mine: 'the hardest part of being a Rube is not knowing your are the Rube."

Yes it does sell scooters, anyway enough about the scooter designs, does anyone have any suggestions for a hub motor kit to retro fit to this 100lbs lump btw i aim to shave nearly half its weight off with my plans, not going to be a fast scooter just dependable 15 mph and lightweight.

What E-HP stated. Because of the bad battery, you haven't gotten the most out of your scooter. With a fresh lithium battery, your scooter should be able to reach speeds of +25 mph. If you live in the UK, it may have the "restriction" cables pluged in.

::thinks about it::

I have no idea where you would source them, but there is a company going teats up here in the states and there are vultures ::coughs:: liquidators tearing down the units and selling them for parts, they have a pretty stupendous pair of motors, on them, they were kept down to like 20mph by software but kids were popping open the locks to short the controller that kept them slow.... and evidently that was why they went teats up... in any case, I have a pair of them in the workshop, I will pull them out and get images, maybe you can find a vulture in your neck of the woods.

I'd just find the motor itself but would you be interested in something like this

So i just bought a Velocifero 1600w scooter from ebay, conned is not the word, i tested it out once the battery was reading full charge, managed 11.2mph flat out and lasted less than 1000m, so strip down time noticed all 4 x lead acid batteries were bulging so likely are knackered, multimeter battery reading before ride was 52.6v after 1000m and few minutes battery was showing as depleted and multimeter check showed 48v, looked at dc-dc controller thing nothing fried nor anything fried inside the controller box. i know this isn't definitive proof they are not knackered though.

So i was thinking of going down the hub motor route and buying a complete kit of battery, controller and brushless hub motor, problem is i dont know if they exist that will fit this scooter. i am a welder fabricator so a bit of chopping and welding up wont be a problem to retro fit and maybe even larger wheels,
Pictures would definitely help.
If you're a fabricator and capable of welding, then fitting a hub motor will be no trouble for you, you probably just have to work a little bit on the swingarm.
The only problem I can see is that according to the pics I found on google this scooter seem to have very large tires, it might be a bit difficut to find a motor that will accomodate for this kind of dimensions.

The scooter has good points mainly being looks, lol, apart from that it's pretty sketchy riding badly designed suspension with cheap crappy parts front end is shockingly bad, whats wrong with conventional suspension forks that are tried and trusted instead of making statement with the design.
Well as you said yourself, you bought it mainly for the looks haha.

The rear wheel alignment is hard to achieve aways looks wonky even when fitted with precise even clearance each side of the rim and no markers for chain adjustment.
A better way is to use a long and straight stick, press it against the tire flanks and see how much it deviates. The longer the stick the more precise it'll be.

I'm just asking about the aforementioned possible upgrades if anyone has done or knows what will fit it would be a massive help.
Everything is possible, but at first I suggest you to work on the battery.
Ditch that lead acid crap, fit a lithium one. The scooter will be lighter and obviously will have way more range than a miserable 1000m. It should improve the perfs by a fair amount, because you'll have less weight, but also because the battery will have a slightly higher voltage and a much lower voltage sag under load, so just by changing the battery you should be able to improve acceleration and top speed a bit.

Then use it for a while and decide if it really worth investing more money in it.

Just make sure you buy a good battery so that allows you to install more power later if you're still willing to. Basically the battery needs to be the most powerful component of your build, there is no such thing as a "too powerful battery".
48V is plenty enough for a scooter, so I suggest you keep this voltage. This way it will still work with your original electronics and you won't have to change anything.
Work on the battery capacity and on the discharge rate, get a battery with good cells that can tolerate a good power draw and if possible that has a long service life. Also get a good BMS for it, if possible a programmable unit.

Wow, thanks for the in-depth replies, firstly i am going to buy a cheap 4 x pack of the lead acid batteries just for testing the scooter out handling etc and if this sorts out the problem with it at present. then i will likely sell the scooter as i have seen the 1600w with lithium battery on sale for £1000 ex display and go with that. ill update with some photos asap and i found a rear hub motor that will fit perfectly within the swing arm but its for a spoked rim so would have to sort something for the tyre to retro fit directly onto the hub, lol, thanks again folks.

Because you live in the United Kingdom, the restriction (250w) wires are most likely already connected. If you unplug it, your scooter can accelerate to +25 mph. The cables are colored blue or green. Please be warned that your scooter will be considered illegal. You can buy an Uberscoot 48v throttle with a turbo button and connect the restriction wires to the turbo button to create a "off-road/turbo" button on the fly. With the wires connected, max speed is about 12mph

Controller Velovifero MAD 1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

thinking of 12v/7ah batteries as they are the overall the same size except 35mm slimmer, i know distance/time being used will shorten but the plan is i'll only use the scooter for the 5 minute trip to work each day so this isn't an issue, plus the 12v/7ah batteries weigh in at around 16lbs compared to the 32lbs of the 4 x 12v/12ah. I have already checked the restriction wires and they were disconnected already, i took the batteries out earlier today and they were so messed up they were all like plastic welded together, lol.

so i'm just waiting on a fella getting back to me with a price for 4 x batteries from fleabay and i'll be ordering them and getting on with the job, one last thing, the sketchy/bad ride was maybe because i have knobbly tyres fitted and i was on tarmac.

thanks agin for all the replies folks.

thinking of 12v/7ah batteries as they are the overall the same size except 35mm slimmer, i know distance/time being used will shorten but the plan is i'll only use the scooter for the 5 minute trip to work each day so this isn't an issue, plus the 12v/7ah batteries weigh in at around 16lbs compared to the 32lbs of the 4 x 12v/12ah.

If you only need a wee bit of juice, you can get it better and likely cheaper with lithium.

Like, maybe bundle up a bunch of these in series-parallel until you have the ampacity you need. Still cheaper, better, with way more range and less weight:

I have already checked the restriction wires and they were disconnected already

My mistake; try disconnecting the wires to see if it changes the speed. It's been a long since I messed with these controllers.

For short-distance use, a 48v 10ah/14ah lithium battery with a 250w (restriction) power output is suitable, and costs just a few dollars more than four SLA batteries. Compare prices first. Ideally, you would want at least a 48v 20ah if your running 1600w (unrestricted)

My mistake; try disconnecting the wires to see if it changes the speed. It's been a long since I messed with these controllers.

For short-distance use, a 48v 10ah/14ah lithium battery with a 250w (restriction) power output is suitable, and costs just a few dollars more than four SLA batteries. Compare prices first. Ideally, you would want at least a 48v 20ah if your running 1600w (unrestricted)
Lol they were disconnected and then i tried them connect no difference i will look up 48v 20ah lithium batteries too. thanks again 2Phast

Ok folks i changed the batteries to 12v 9am saving 9lbs in weight over the stock 12v 12ah the same problem arose, i went for a test ride even though the main display was showing 1 bar battery strength but the twist throttle display was showing fully charged, which they were @ 52,6v i managed half a mile then kaputt battery died flickering battery depleted on throttle twist grip display and nothing on main display, so it has to the BMS is this that little dc-/+ box next to the the controller module!!! if so where do i find one to buy!! thanks in advance folks

lol, i never gave my question a second thought if they have a bms for lead acid so probably not so what could my problem be!! any ideas scooter people. thanks in advance

lol, i never gave my question a second thought if they have a bms for lead acid so probably not so what could my problem be!! any ideas scooter people. thanks in advance
What was the battery voltage after the half mile?

You went from 12Ah to 7Ah to save weight. All else being equal, you are pulling more current relative to the capacity of your batteries. Meaning if you discharge a 12Ah at 1C, or 12A, pulling the same 12A from the smaller 7Ah battery is a 1.7C, so much higher relative to its capacity. Higher discharge rates decrease the capacity of a battery, so you can’t just compare the pack capacities to determine the relative ranges. If you ride slower (about half the speed you’d ride with the bigger pack), then you’d get closer to your expected range.
Peukert-Losses-768x617.png

Last edited:
Hi there, went from 12v 12ah to 12v 9ah and after the half mile full throttle ride maxing out at 18mph this is with restriction wires disconnected battery flat on display but is actually still showing 49v on multimeter more or less is the same using the crap old batteries and the new ones

Sorry to hear that. You may wish to reconsider the advice several folks gave you.
lol, iv'e not had any constructive advice, the two sets of batteries are showing depleted on display and throttle!!! the old batteries show 52.1v new batteries 48.9v on multimeter so does anyone have any links to purchase a new controller dc box maybe as i cannot find anything on the net to do with velocifero scooters, only buying them new.

thanks in advance

btw when i connect the blue restriction wires the lights come on on the scooter and doesn't do anything same speed connected or disconnected both allow 18mph for half mile then kaputt, does anyone have a link for the exact same controller/dc -/+ box so i don't have to mess about rewiring connectors, thanks again folks

Back