Helmet Camera, or Onboard Camera

Yeah, that would be of interest to me, especially in terms of catching licence plates.

I was wanting to couple the VHoldR Contour HD with a Kodak ZX1, or maybe three in total, of whichever combination.

The best thing about the Contour HD is that it comes with good mounts. The downside is that there is not video player, to show to people (e.g. cops at accident, etc.)
The Kodak ZX1 has an LCD screen for video output. So the Contour HD for the helmet, and a Contour HD, or a Kodak ZX1 for the rear, and another Kodak ZX1 for the handlebars, or the shirt (shirt mount).
ContourHD_helmet.jpg

kodak_zx1.jpg

Where I work we're getting a VHoldR Contour HD so I'll let you know how it does.. probably won't have it for a week or two though, but I was going to use it to shoot video of my mountain climb commute, which I've been meaning to do for well over a year now. Stay tuned. :)

I mounted the Creative Vado HD and the Oregon Scientific ATC2K AT18 video cams on my E-trike. A photo of the installation is attached. I tested the ability to read a vehicle license plate. The Creative Vado HD (1280x720) can read the license plate number at 10 and 25 feet but not 50 feet. The Oregon Scientific video cam (640x480) could only read the license number at 10 feet. I don't recommend the Oregon Scientific vdeo cam because of the poor video.

I am getting vibration with the mont for the Creative camera. I used parts from a small sony Tripod. The tripod mount screw for the Creative camera is not centered under the center of gravity of the camera. I think I will have to make a special isolated mount. Let me know if you have any ideas on how to mount the video cam.
Don Gerhardt

Attachments

• IMG_0016 Trike Video Cam Rear.jpg 640x480.jpg
    IMG_0016 Trike Video Cam Rear.jpg 640x480.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,022
I was looking for a Contour HD and maybe adding a Kodak ZX1, Creative Vado HD, or Flip Ultra HD. Is that silicone skin waterproof?

What case do you have on the back? Is it a Pelican 1500, or a Hardigg Storm?

I doubt if the silicone sleeve for the Creative VADO HD is waterproof since there are openings for the lens, LCD, microphone, speaker and connections. The switches are covered. I am sure the sleeve helps in a light rain. There were no instructions for the sleeve. It was in the box with the camera. It will help to keep the battery cover on. There is less chance to drop the camera because the silicone provides a better grip than the plastic case. The sleeve may also help protect the camera if it is dropped. I attached a shot from the VADO HD cam at 25 feet. I can read the license plate number fine on the video even though it may be difficult to read on the still shot. Creative includes software that allows you to make single shots from the video. There is some degradation with the still shot.

PC World did an evaluation of pocket camcorders in the June 2009 issue. The Vado HD had the best video quality and has a wider angle lens. I bought my Creative Vado HD from Amazon for $99.99 with free shipping on Aug. 11, 2009. I notice a recent price increased to $120.00. I am sure the price will decline as competition increases for pocket camcorders. The PCW ranking is listed:
89 - Creative Vado HD - Best Buy
88 - Pure digital Flip MinoHD
83 - Sony Webbie HD MHS-PM1
83 - Kodak Zi6 Pocket video Camera
82 - Kodak Zx1 Pocket Video Camera

The case is Model 96011 B&W City box from http://www.b-w-international.com in Ibbenburen Germany. I got mine from http://www.nashbar.com on sale for about $50.00. The case is a bit over designed for a bicycle. It does have a nice lock and a clip design to attach it to a tube on my trike.

Thanks to nuts and volts for his advice on mounting the video cam. I plan to use your advice. I operate at 35 mph without suspension so I need a good suspension & isolation system for the camera.
Don Gerhardt

Attachments

• VID00004_001 VADO HD Van 25 feet.jpg
    VID00004_001 VADO HD Van 25 feet.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,362
  • IMG_0001 Trike Video Cam Front.jpg 640x480.jpg
    IMG_0001 Trike Video Cam Front.jpg 640x480.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,360
From my motorcycle days I recall a new motorcycle that had a review which said It had clearer looking mirrors when riding. Rather than the mirror being mounted old skool with a solid threaded mount to a handlebar bracket, The shaft was inserted into a fat soft bushing, and a weight was added behind the mirror near its tip.

The mirror had a tendency to weave around slowly from wind, but it no longer had the buzzy vibration haze. Something similar could work for a camera to get a clear shot of the license plate and the face of the driver.

Late last week a guy here at work bought:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

....which is one of probably a hundred different helmet-mounted cameras and we were kind of riffing about the idea of just recording each commute...literally....every single day of the week. He rides a Yamaha FZ1...I typically ride 600cc/750cc motorcycles...and this thing will mount virtually anywhere from the top of your helmet to where the forks meet the wheel.

From an eBike standpoint....my communte is mostly between trains....excepting the really nice days like yesterday when I rode from the Willamette to like 92nd...it's a public road...so I would think totally legal to record.....and the SD card will handily tape the whole commute both ways...which would be good in the event of a collision or just something generally bad happening.

Is there anyone here on this forum who tapes their entire ride(s) work/home every day....even if the less than interesting ones just wind up in the bit bucket?...or even parts of it?

I have planned to do so, but not yet made a camera mount that will A) protect my only portable camera, and B) be as anti-vibration as possible, and C) not stick out beyond the bike side so I don't forget it's there and break it off. ;)

Too many pressing needs for ride functionality in the little time I have to work on the bike to work on a luxury like recording the rides. :(

I'm going to start doing this. I bought the go pro wide a couple of months ago and was waiting until the go pro wrist wide mount came out. Ordered it today.

Back