help with 12volt to 120volt inverter

dfar

1 W
Hello

I bought a 2000 watt continuous/4000 watt peak, 12volt to 120volt stepped inverter off ebay (probably not the right thing to do but oh well). Anyway It was working fantastic for roughly a month and then all of a sudden it did not. I opened it up and it looked like one of the MOSFETs? FETs? Transistors? got hot enough to make burn marks on the aluminum mount (not pictured). I have not taken the fet out to test it but I fairly certain that that is the cause of the problems.

Anyway I have tried for hours to find information on this "FET" so that I could order a replacement but have come up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help

HPIM0544.JPG
HPIM0548.jpg

So the only datasheet I could come up with is on a IPS FTP18N06 (note the FET is FTP08N06A). I can't find any information on the actual name on the FET itself.

data sheet for FTP18N06
http://www.datasheet4u.net/datasheet/F/T/P/FTP18N06_IPS.pdf.html

should I just get something similar from digi-key and see if it works? What would be the most important characteristics when buying a similar component? Vdds, Rds, and Id? would it be ok to "oversize" the mosfet i.e buy something rated much higher?

As you can tell I'm a total noob, I'm not trying to get anyone to do my work for me just don't know where to start or what I'm looking at.

https://www.google.com/search?q=FTP08N06A
Brings up various links for that p/n including the manufacturer's page, which includes some specs. Looks like you have to register with them to get datasheets, which might require reading what looks like Chinese.

WTF Amberwolf you are the man!!

I don't know why my searching was not working, I used the same search term/ 100 other different combinations without any success. Anyway now I feel Like a big idiot but on the plus side you hit the jackpot. Found the spec sheet now just to find a FET that matches perimeters.

Thank you my friend

Back