HF Discontinuing my favorite Power Switch!

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Well, I am glad that I got to get some before they disco'd them, and I am glad to get them 1/4 the price of the local automotive shops, but sadly these switches will no longer be sold by Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-cut-off-switch-92688.html

image_2527.jpg

I have seen them for $15 - $20 everywhere else! I know they aren't the best made thing out there, but they work, and they handle a good deal of wattage.

I went ahead and bought 5 since they won't be available at this price often.

What!!!!!
I have one of these and it works good...

Thanks for the tip. I think i'll um.. jeopardize my local stash !!

I made a battery switch for my 12V Jeep system with these, as older Jeeps are notoriously easy to break into, and perhaps also hot-wire. One thing that drew me to this one is, I wanted to hide the switch, and use a DIY removable key-extender.

I mounted it on the firewall just behind the battery, and from the inside, it was in-between the cardboard glove-box and the central cluster of crap. Hard to see unless you knew where to look. I took a section of all-thread I had laying around, and drilled cross-ways through the tip, then rammed a tiny bolt through it with JB epoxy. By cutting one side of the tiny bolt flush, and the other side being cut the same length as the key nub, it worked well as an extra long removable key.

I knew it would not stop a dedicated and experienced thief, and any basic trouble-shooting (tracing the battery cables to see where they went) would reveal the half-hidden on/off switch, but...I thought it would slow them down and reduce teen car-theft experimentation. Its also good to have a battery isolation switch for those times when you have a slow mystery drain. It will allow the battery to hold its charge (when parked) until you can trace where the trickle short is.

neptronix said:
What!!!!!
I have one of these and it works good...

Thanks for the tip. I think i'll um.. jeopardize my local stash !!

Yeah, I WAS planning on just picking up three today, but instead I got 5 so that I have plenty for my MTB and a couple spare for any new builds. 8)

I left a couple at the beaverton store, Portlanders ;)

It actually looks like they are replacing this switch with a much heavier duty version, this $10 thing that weighs like a pound and a half..!

Cole Hersey is a manufacturing company that makes all kinds of electrical parts like this, and other cool stuff also:

http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htm

Any big auto parts company should have an account or can COD....not sure if you can buy oneseys twoseys retail though. Any big eBike store could benefit from browsing their catalog.

--T

Back