• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hidden Power roller drive

veloman

10 MW
Whoa whoa there. Why is this the first time I've heard of "Hidden Power"???

That's similar to what I was planning to build for my road bike. It feels weird to see it's already done. Any link to more info on it?

veloman said:
Whoa whoa there. Why is this the first time I've heard of "Hidden Power"???

That's similar to what I was planning to build for my road bike. It feels weird to see it's already done. Any link to more info on it?

Yeah I was surpirsed too. Since it appears to have been available at least in the Korean market for more than a year.

There has been a bit of discussion over at this thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21186&start=30#p310442

Here are some highlights:
adrian_sm said:
Think I found the manufacturer for the Hidden Power friction drive above.
Not a lot of details on the site, must be fairly new.

http://pedalix.com/

adrian_sm said:
Just got an email back with a few more details.

Lets start with the bad news.

Price: ~A$2,100 inclusive of installation in a bike store. Ouch! :shock:

Availability: ~ 2months
http://pedalix.com/ are just responsible for the European Market.
Looks like the actual manufacturer is in Korea: http://www.hiddenpower.co.kr

From what I can decipher from the korean site.

BLDC Motor, 300W Nominal, 600W peak
Controller: 80A controller, PAS
Battery: LiPo 14.8V 18Ah
Charger: 16.8V 2.5A, 100-240V, 50-60Hz

Belt drive reduction. Looks like a 2.5mm pitch belt from eye-balling it.
file.php

file.php

I still can't get over that price. Damn.

I might just have to make my own. :D

miles said:
Here are the 3 patents they have: http://v3.espacenet.com/searchResults?PA=hidden+power&DB=EPODOC&submitted=true&locale=en_EP&ST=advanced&compact=false

adrian_sm said:
Great find, didn't even think of looking.
Sometimes I love patents. They make it so much easier to work stuff out.
file.php

- Adrian

Great find Adrian, I can't believe they have sold any at that price. Damn!! I bet Matt would one off custom build you one with an Astro and 2Kw for $2200. :mrgreen:

That price was from one of the swedish guys that is planning to distribute in EU. It was their company that was present at Eurobike 2010. But since they gave me the 2 month availability, and their website is pretty lacking on details or prices, it doesn't sound like they have sold anything yet.

Still for a ball-park $2k is huge. I was expecting something close to $1k, hoping for something cheaper.

Would be intersting to find what they are going for in Korea.

That motor is a hobbycity inrunner. :)

I've got a couple of them in blue, they were offered in red originally.

file.php

KB45_XL.jpg

:lol: That's funny.

Here is a link to the lowest kV version. $46.20
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5158

- Adrian

I had another email hit my inbox, giving some more details.

Anyone interested in becoming a distrbutor? :D

2010-09-10
Dear Adrian,
Thank you for your interest in Hidden Power eBike kit.

We are looking for reliable local distributor. For local distributors, we will offer distributor price based upon agreements.
Suggested user price is US$1,850/set at local delivery.

Availability
MX-1 and RB-1 can be shipped promptly. As launching promotion, we provide free shipping for max. 2sets. Import tax should be paid by you.
We recommend you Hidden Power RB-1 first. MX-1 is for MTB featured with the power conversion roller pushing the side surface of tire. At Eurobike exhibition, RB-1 installed with city bike was quite popular thanks to automatic power on/off and simple installation.

Power Output
Motor power is 230-330W

Battery Voltage, Capacity, Chemistry
Refer enclosed document. Battery is lithium ion polymer battery with 14.8V 18Ah. Dedicated charger is included.

Throttle type
Volume dial type. Refer enclosed PDF file.

Enclosed PDF file contains specification of MX-1. We are working on new version with RB-1. Updates will be available sooner.
Best regards,

Jason Choi

BATTERIST LLC
Yongin South Korea
+82 70 7893 4518

HIDDEN POWER Electric Power Assisted Conversion Kit
Distribution at American continental and Asia-Pacific territory
OEM Business enabler of Hidden Power

They were also nice enough to send me a brochure in English.

- Adrian

I like the 230-330w rating. :) :) :)

Those monster inrunners take +2kw with ease. But calling them 230-330w gets around the whole 350w rules many places have on ebikes.

They were smart to rate them so low.

spinningmagnets said:
I am still interested in Storms suggestion about a cone as a CVT...

That is a very groovy idea! The only possible negative that I can see is that you 'might' get some uneven wear on your tire - as one side of your contact patch will be moving faster than the other. But this could be very minor, and likely not an issue.

I say build it!

Miles said:
Regarding the price of the Hidden Power, bear in mind that it includes a Polyquest/A123 battery and they aren't cheap.

That's the truth. It's gotta be about the worst value in performance LiPo out there. My 2.2Ah polyquest "30c" heli pack from 2 years ago was a performance joke, and only lasted maybe 100cycles of droopy voltage performance. For a pack that cost me as much as 6x hobbycity packs that each have better performance and longer life, it was a pretty disapointing buy. Maybe I just got a bad run of cells or something, but it soured me on polyquest.

But I must admit it is nice to see a nicely integrate LiPo pack with built in protection circuit, balancing, and a hard case.

Odd that on the last page of the brochure they list a complete powered bike package with a suggested price of $1250 - $1500. ?
( with the bike its self worth $325 )

Cant say i like the ides of the drive on the tyre sidewall :shock: Knowing how much load is required to get a slip free drive, i think it may have an effect on the tyre and spokes after a while.

Hillhater said:
Cant say i like the ides of the drive on the tyre sidewall :shock: Knowing how much load is required to get a slip free drive, i think it may have an effect on the tyre and spokes after a while.

Of course you can just balance it out with two drives. :D And what a shame you might just get twice the power out of it too.
file.php

Probably worth getting a tyre with decent sidewalls though.

How much $$$'s for the dual drive i wonder :shock: :roll:
( do they make tyres with carbon fibre sidewalls ? :lol: )

Thought: why do they bother with the belt drive & rollers on that "sidewall drive" ?
They could have just put a roller on the motor shaft and simplified the whole device :idea:

That motor is probably running over 10k rpms, so they still need to reduce it a bit.

I'm kind of amazed. I thought you guys here on ES were the forefront of ebike designs! I didn't know there was something out there like this.

But there's no way I'd pay that much money for it, and I doubt many riders will either.

My hobbycity order should be coming soon, time to get working on my own drive.

This is nice piece of engineering and they must feel they have a resonable market especially considering they have gone to patent stage. If patents have been issued, they have probably spent $20K just on this alone. Then there is the development of the drive. I can undersand the need for such a high price to cover these costs.

Can anyone tell if it has any method of decoupling from the tire when turned off? Doesn't look like it to me. Also pressure on the side of tire is a bit scary. Perhaps you need special tires but a tire is not designed for a side load like this.

I have toyed with the idea of using a belt drive reduction to a roller but to date have wanted to keep things simple. However, I do see the advantages and in some cases, these advantages may outweigh the cost and complexity penalty. (designing madly :lol: )

It seems to me that a sticky rubber roller against the wheel would be a better design here to stop the tire wear, on the sidewall seems dangerous to me..

adrian_sm said:
Probably worth getting a tyre with decent sidewalls though.
Something that is not a Kenda. ;)

I see a couple advantages of rolling on the sides of the tire.

It enables you to run any tread type you like, and still have smooth operation.

It enables the tire to roll through muddy surfaces, and not try to have a roller get traction between mud and rubber. This feature makes running a smooth roller possible with out suffering issues in gritty conditions, which should decrease friction losses and extend tire life.

It has a host of disadvantages as well.

Same thing with going with enclosed belt drive. You get to run higher RPM sealed I inrunner motors, which is great for muddy gritty conditions and long trouble free motor life. But, you gain more points of failure, and the belt will wear out at some point.

I personally like Keplers drive better, and think is a more elegant design in function. For a very muddy/gritty environment, I think the hidden power has a few advantages though.

Of all places, a Hidden Power bike showed up on craigslist. If the battery+motor is only 5 pounds, the bike is 38 pounds! Why put such a lightweight setup on a heavy bike.

Electric bike with strong alloy Mongoose frame. The complete 500watt-750watt max electric motor kit (including 18-amp hour lithium battery) weighs only 5 pounds. This is a very unique, highly efficient, and high tech electric motor kit that isn't even being distributed in the US yet. I personally built this bike, I only have this one and its in almost brand new condition with very little riding time on it. The motor kit alone retails for over $1,600 in Europe. The retail value of this bike with all the upgraded components is well over $2,400. To view the electric motor kit online, go to this web site for details...http://www.pedalix.com/index.php?id=10&no_cache=1&L=1

29” City-Cross Electric Commuting Bike
• Riding Style: Mixed-Terrain & City Commuting
• Frame Material: Alloy 6061
• Electric Motor: Hidden Power
• Handlebars: Alloy Riser bars
- Ergon GC3 Race grips
- Avenir Seat
• Gearing: Shimano 21 speed
• Front Shock: Zoom
• Brakes: Avid BB7 disc brakes
• Brake Levers & Shifters: Shimano ST-F50
• Wheel Hubs: Modus Nakano
• Tires: 700 x 38 Serfas Tuono Hybrid Tires with FPS (up to 100 p.s.i)
• Weight: 43 pounds (Including motor and battery)
• Dimensions: 70"L x 25"W x 43"H

Interesting, I can say that I do know my HP motor pushes around 250lbs all the time :mrgreen: so 38 aint that much really :wink:

I wonder why he is selling it...

Back