High Current Draw under no load - help! (CAv3/Lyen/Cyclone)

dekes1

100 mW
Hey all, i'm currently assembling a new bike with a Lyen 12fet controller, Cyclone 3000w mid-drive, Cycle Analyst v3 and 51v/14ah battery.

The bike is nearly done and after much fumbling, i figured out the Phase/Hall wire combos that make the motor spin in the right direction and what seems like relatively smooth operation. However, as I'm testing it (chain removed), it's drawing a ton of current. I've checked the motor and opened it up, i can turn it by hand with normal force and there does not appear to be any binding. The phase wires get hot and the controller gets warm even after just a few seconds of operation. My CA says i'm drawing as much as 19 Battery Amps with nothing attached to the motor under full throttle.

Anyone have thoughts on what could be the problem? What should i expect for amp draw in a normal situation with nothing attached to the motor?

Sounds like you 'may' have the Hall/Phase not quite perfect. Will it start from all angles? Unless your sure it is, in that case i'd do a a phase to phase and phase to earth resistance check :). If that fails it's RMA time. If it passes and your not getting any binding in rotation when you try it with your hand are you rotating direct from the shaft?

@ccmdr, you were absolutely right!
Even though the motor was spinning and would start from any angle, it turns out i didn't quite have the hall/phase wires correct. It now winds up to top speed without drawing over 2.9A. It's also a tad quieter.

Back