Hitron DC converter for lights - DIY Down Low Glow

Marty, absolutely. It stays in the mode it was last in regardless of whether there is power applied or not. Now, everything comes on including the controller with a flip of the switch.

The ebike.ca rear red light looks interesting, but the front light is definitely a "be seen" not a "to see" light. These are not power leds. 50 ma at 24 volts is only 1.2 watts. I would guess the output to be less than 60 lumens and not focused.

The P7 led will output 700 lumens and consume about 11 watts.

It's been a long thought process and a big box of lights that will never happen. Very first idea was 48V fork truck lights. Modified 12V truck lights. Modified Maglite. Finally I am done! Think I will be happy with my latest ideas.

Got 4 of these on the front. Very bright and they get hot. From Ebay
CREE_LED_XR-E_P4_Bike_Light_B200.jpg

Just ordered this rear light. Dinotte 140R-Li Taillight
photographyl.jpg

This might be toooo bright? Think I read somewhere that it has a low setting.

All lights will run off of 48V to 5V DC/DC converter

One more thought on blinking lights.
I copy from http://biketobrown.brown.edu/?p=12
There is a documented ‘moth effect’ where tired or inebriated drivers drive directly toward a blinking light. For example, more drivers crash into stopped emergency vehicles with their flashing lights on than you might expect.
Go to Google and type in "moth effect"

nutsandvolts said:
voicecoils said:
I wonder if their is any way to use two to double the power output to ~60W?

I think they would work in parallel, they are isolated and protected for overload and short circuit.
This is a really good price for such a DC/DC converter.

I think you could draw a maximum of 6A at 12V =36W if you connect two units in series.

EDIT: THAT'S WRONG, it's only 3A at 12V with two units in series! Sorry, one day I'll get it right first time....

What voltage do you need for LED's?

About 3.6 volts for any of the newer LEDs. Voicecoils wants to power some bright HID incandescents. He'd probably get better bang for the buck running halogen MR16s in series directly off the main battery.

snowranger said:
About 3.6 volts for any of the newer LEDs. Voicecoils wants to power some bright HID incandescents. He'd probably get better bang for the buck running halogen MR16s in series directly off the main battery.

I tested one set of 12V/35W HID lights, reported there: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3747-vectux-part-3-vectrix-retampi#comment-22934

One of these HID bulbs draws up to 8.8A initially; then it gradually drops to 3.6A on low beam or 4.5A on high beam.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/Mr_Mik/Vectux/HID%20lamp%20project/?action=view&current=VectuxHIDlamppreliminarytest.flv

ohyea said:
question for anyone that has these dc-dc up and running-
will they take a fully charged 72v pack? i dont know if they will like to fire on 88v or so. thanks

My four Hitron dc dc converters arrived from Israel. I haven't tested them yet but will do so and report back soon. Cheers!

Here is my version of the Down Low Glow LED style. I used the 12 volt lead from the second dc converter to power four SMD LED strips. They are very low profile. $32 for the 4 vs. $150 for the DLG. And this completes my DC lighting.

003pk8.jpg

006wi7.jpg

Back