• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

HK LiFePO4 look different from the side

Insider

1 mW
Hi guys!

I bought these LiFePO4 batteries from HK:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14074__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8400mAh_4S2P_30C_LiFePo4_Pack.html
image.jpg

Is there anybody here who uses such batteries?

It seems strange to me cause they look different from the beared side:
image.jpg

HK support team has no answers...

So how do you think why is this? Is this normal?

I'd say the packs on the right are truly 4S2P and the packs on the left are 4S4P (twice as many cells, but half the size).

Yes, the ones on the left have more cells paralleled. It does look though, like the ones on the right have two sections in each pouch.

In the end though, it makes little difference, long as it's still adding up to 8.4 ah worth in each parallel group either way.

I have dissed 18650 cell packs because of mechanical connection problems that can develop with many cells in a paralell group. Stuff like spot welds popping if the pack gets dropped. But in this case, the soldered connections should not be a problem, whether it's 2 tabs in the blob of solder or 4. Less prone to damage just from bike vibration.

I don't see it as any problem, as long as the pouches are the same c rate, and the same capacity when all connected in a parallel group.

Punx0r, Dogman, thanks!

So it seems that there is no need to panic for the moment :D

I'll try to test the batteries soon!

i dont know...but i bet its just 2 cells wernt cut and still stickin in the sleeve on the production line ( good sign)

Back