6 punctures in 16 months, help!

I'm joining this pity party. I never carry tools with me, and never need them except for one thing, a flat tire. Anything else I could just pedal home, or to the train. If I would of had a way to fill the tire last week, I could have just pulled this out, and aired my tire back up. By the time I pushed my bike a mile home my tube was wasted. I ordered one of these Co2 inflators, hope it works.
20240227_125351.jpg

I like everything about the Kwick Drumlin with K-Shield Plus, except one thing. Armor seems at least equal to Marathon Plus, ride quality and grip are better, price is attractive. But about half of the KS+ version ones I ever used suffered casing failures at or below max pressure. Not blowouts, but hernias that made the tread crooked.

Might indicates a weaker than advertised sidewall? I'm imagining based on weight that we have more rubber on the tread.
What are the KS+ ones you've tried and at what PSI? was it the 'journey' model?

I cannot find a single KS+ Drumlin in 26" anywhere online, nor mention of it in their 2023 catalog, and there's no 2024 catalog, blog entries, or anything else about this tire.

For this reason, I prefer Kwick Drumlin Cargo, which has the thinner K-Shield breaker belt, but twice the casing plies of the KS+ version. Those of us struggling with frequent punctures on e-bikes could really use a version with both the 4 ply casing and KS+ breaker belt (and 2.4" width).

It has a higher weight than the Schwalbe Pick up.. and i also imagine the compound might be a little harder for cargo tires, am i right? ( if so, this is a bit of puncture resistance in itself )

Last edited:
Moped tires on wide rims.
Kenda Kwick Drumlin and some other Kenda models have moped or M/C designations and size markings along with customary bicycle size markings.

Might indicates a weaker than advertised sidewall?

Probably had more to do with the weight I was putting on them. The Cargo version boasts a 150kg rating, which would be comparable to the rear wheel load of my bikes at the time, but it implies that the KS+ model isn't rated that high.
What are the KS+ ones you've tried and at what PSI? was it the 'journey' model?

I have used Kwick Drumlin in the KS+ version, 26x2.0" and 29x2.0". I've used Kwick Drumlin Cargo in 20x2.0". And I've used Kwick Journey in 29x2.0", but only the 3mm regular K-Shield. I inflated all of them to 60-65 psi even though most were rated 50-80 psi.

and i also imagine the compound might be a little harder for cargo tires, am i right? ( if so, this is a bit of puncture resistance in itself )

Maybe, probably? As far as I can tell, the tread compound seems to be the same between the 2 ply and 4 ply versions. Harder than most tires I've used, but with surprisingly good grip.

Ahh okay so you were putting quite a bit of stress on them.
Damn, nice that you have such extensive experience with this brand.

Maybe, probably? As far as I can tell, the tread compound seems to be the same between the 2 ply and 4 ply versions. Harder than most tires I've used, but with surprisingly good grip.

Harder but with surprisingly good grip sounds like a moped tire compound. I think we're getting closer to an ideal ebike tire here.

Side notes..

Guys on the EBR forum who use sealants seem to like flatout sealant a lot. There's some stories of withstanding nails among users of it. Seems better than slime.... and lasts longer. There's a thicker formulation than the bike version that is even better, too.
Ref: Are Flat Out, Slime and Stans a scam?

Tannus armor is an option.. local bike shop recommends it these days for commuters. The big downside is the 500-1000 mile life, and difficult fitment.

I'm glad there's at least some viable options for riders like me who live in goathead hell. I'm thinking of trying bike tires again.

OK, i scoured the entire internet again and cannot get my hands on the drumlin k-shield plus, so i ordered the journey k-shield plus instead.

Will report back with a puncture test to see how it compares with my marathon plus.

Backup plan: add flatout if the protection isn't sufficient.

Will do!

BTW here's the best test of the Flatout.. this would be one of the ATV/outdoor equipment versions.. supposedly better than the bike version.

Looks like it could handle all these nail scenarios mentioned in the thread.

30 psi? I run at double that.

30 psi? I run at double that.
I use Flatout in a fat tire parade trike I have, and it works. But I would not trust it to work at the pressures I like to use in bicycle tires.

It's a huge point in Flatout's favor that it doesn't quickly turn into scabs like tubeless sealant does, or into dreadlocks in green sauce like Slime does.

Looks like it could handle all these nail scenarios mentioned in the thread.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. The entry wound I'm sure it would stop up, but the exit wound on the "uphill" side of the tire probably wouldn't get enough sealant on it unless you sloshed it around while it was leaking.

I am a huge fan of flat out. I live in Arizona (the land of endless goat head thorns).
I pluck the thorn out, and the hissing starts; I ride the bike and the hissing stops as the sealant gets distributed to the hole.
I have pulled 2 out in the past week which created leaks (initially). I didn't need to re-inflate the tire afterwards. It is simply that good.

Tires are Annova Hybrid (thicker than normal carcass), size 26 X 4. Innertube is the standard junk that comes with the bike.

I had a nail go straight through my motorcycle tire on my stealth bomber. It had slime and it only slowed down the leak. I put Flat Out and so far it's a week an no leaks.

Today's flat, from debris damage to a 26x3.0" horrendously thick Wan Da tire:

IMG_20240319_140803~2.jpgIMG_20240319_140847~2.jpg

I couldn't identify what the puncturing object had been, but the bike lane was very trashy.

Looks like 2 compound tread - a thin layer of vintage asphalt roofing shingles atop... solidified blueberry ice cream below. Yes, I see some fuzzy hairs poking out too, but not 60 bucks worth.

Back