Hobby or Money Saver?

Lifestyle.

I don't drive; my ebike is my primary vehicle - and I write it off as a business expense :mrgreen:

Charging as we speak... KF

sacko said:
I just see it as a hobby now that pays for itself, in time. If the weather was more predictable I wouldn't hesitate in selling the car.

I left my car in the driveway for about a year before I sold it. At first when it was nasty out I'd cheat and drive the car the mere 2km distance to work (yes I could have walked), I gradually ceased that and rode the bike regardless of the weather. After making it through the winter doing this I sold the car in the summer. As luck would have it my employer moved the following winter 10km from me in late December. I froze my ass off riding the 10km there and back each day making adjustments to my wardrobe and bike. Certainly not for everybody, but I figure people actually pay to go skiing and freeze their asses off outside for longer than my commute so it's not so bad and the savings have been fantastic. It is definitely a lifestyle choice as Kingfish mentioned.

It's all going to depend on your situation, for some people it will be an absolute money saver if it can COMPLETELY replace a car, all year round, for a commuting to and from work.
That is, no car payment, no maintenance, no gas, no parking fees, no insurance etc...

For most, this is a hobby that saves some gas money and car wear, but won't completely pay for itself for a number of years.
I'm sure it provides other intangible (ie health/happiness) benefits in other ways that can't be accounted for exactly.

Here is my situation, YMMV. :)

I built my commuter for the sole purpose of going to work without my car.

Let's be generous and say my $24,000 car will last 12 years, that's $2000 in depreciation costs per year average. ( I buy cars new and drive them into the ground. )
I commute 24 miles each day to work, city driving, that's about $3 worth of gas here. 260 working days a year, that's about $800 a year in gas, just to drive to work.
Insurance is another $700 a year. I pay for parking and thats $800 a year as well, even if I don't use it every day.

I'm up to $4300 a year now to have a car and drive to work and park, and that doesn't include any regular maintenance or repairs.

Like most people, I can't completely get rid of my car. There are bad weather days here and winter. I sometimes have commitments out of town. I have a girlfriend.

It would be really awesome if I could ditch my car, spend $4000 a year on an ebike fleet and claim a savings!

So What to Do?

Scenario 1:

The best case scenario for me is that I can save $1600 a year in gas and parking fees by choosing to bike in to work each and every work day, even the bad weather ones.
I'll also save 5200 miles of driving on my car which is about 1/3 of my yearly mileage, so let's say that's 1/3 of $2000 (depreciation), or another $600 worth of car wear and tear.
Biking to work every day = Save about $2200.

Scenario 2:

If I decide to ride in on only the nice days of spring, summer and fall, say about 200 days a year, then I'm only going be saving about $600 in gas because I still have to pay yearly parking even if I only use it in the winter months. (
I am looking into this to see if I can get some kind of parking deal.) Save 4000 miles of driving, or about $500 worth of wear and tear cost on the car.
Biking to work only on nice days = Save about $1100.

Now, those savings, either way I do it, also have costs.
I spent $2500 on my eBike. It has to last at least a year of all weather commuting or two years of nice weather commuting before I will start realizing any savings.
All weather commuting through rain and salty snowy crap is considerably harder on bike components, especially electric ones.
It will probably need new chains, tires, tubes, tunes and all sorts of things in that time. Bike shops are expensive, I am getting good at doing all these things myself.
All in all, it is probably less than what comparable maintenance on a car would cost, so I'm not worried about it. (The most identifiable bike part of my ebike is a crappy $300 big box bike. :))
The big ticket maintenance item is that I'm going to need another $800 battery for it after two or three years.

So I will say that eBikes will probably save most people money versus cars, but only over the course of a few years, and all depending on where you live and how you ride and what your mechanical skills are.
If you know nothing about bikes or bike maintenance and put together something crappy or buy a premade ebike, you probably won't save money.

wut I did to replace a car:

1- 2 trikes, one of which is 'all-weather' capable. ($5.5k)
2- Proper Clothing for what weather there is. (~$300 for heated clothing)
3- Rent a car for trips out of town (longer than 50 miles round trip) (~$35 per day + $16 for insurance per week)

But I also built up a workshop with a solar-charging station (~7k with tools and stuff) -or- about ~$13k to completely replace a car.
I suppose one doesn't have to build a shop or personally maintain their vehicles, but that was not an option for me

-after the initial investments in e-trikes (research and design and fabrication), I'm currently spending less than $50 per month on average, buying bike-specific tools, parts and (MOAR) batteries (MOAR)(MOAR)(MOAR)(MOAR)(MOAR)(MOAR)
I stopped keeping tract of miles.
I don't commute to work but I ride a lot.

How about hobby that comes in handy? I bought my first big bore at that time 350w Currie to park a mile or two from where I might be working in the LA and ride up, but this was the narrow streets of Hollywood, the Valley, LA didn't work out well. But I locked my keys in the car and the bus schedule and route failed me, so I walked home straight like I was a kid cutting through storm drains, utility areas, oil fields, then rode the scooter 11 miles back, which it barely made because the last few miles were sort of downhill and I coasted. (Westbound Imperial Highway in Yorba Linda.) Not that much faster than the walk home. Then it fit easily in the car. Okay, time to tinker and come up with a more effective scooter. Currie hasn't bothered with a 350w in years.

Since then I've only bought them broken and usually don't keep them fixed. (Hobby) They've gotten me out of renting cars at times. (Money saver.) Got me reading all sorts of interesting things, such as ES. (Hobby) Not that it's so profitable, but after riding the fixed bike for awhile I sell it for a little more than I have in it. (Money MAKER.)

I've decided that the ultimate 20-30 mph electric scooter would be a slightly larger, slightly more powerful, somewhat better batteried Voy Electra. Trying to build one. (Hobby) My TV career has been on the wane, perhaps if I become somewhat expert at this reality TV will beckon. . . .

It's a hobby that happens to save me some money the more I take advantage of it.

I could turn it into a total money saver by ditching my car altogether, but I rather enjoy some of the aspects of a car (I was a car-guy before an e-bike-guy) and the places it can take my family (e.g. can't do IKEA on a bike). The car also helps make my e-bike hobby easier.

I have definitely spent more money on bikes and parts than I have saved in gas, depreciations and licensing costs. It seems the more I save it gas, the more "budget" i get to spend on bikes :roll:

It started as a hobby, but has saved money because I can keep my 27 year old car and still get to work reliably. If the current bike doesn't get STOLEN it will pay for itself in gas and maintenance savings in another year or two. Wife bike ...not so much.

All you NEED each day is about 2000 calories and a gallon of water. After that you're into WANT.

I'll spot you air and you have to blame yourself or your ancestors if you can't get by without clothing or shelter -- nobody told you or them to leave the African Savanna.

Now, if we turn the question to: "Your car: Hobby or Money Saver?" have we got a better context?

While I'll be a while in getting to break even, the fun factor in riding my bike -- and being able to run errands that I otherwise couldn't without a boost -- is maybe more the way I'd approach it. And from a physics point of view, a car is almost never the answer and an e-bike is way better.

I guess, if you are looking for a rationale, we can give you one. But why not just enjoy your life and try to be happy? It's really easy to rationalize an e-bike and we can do that all day long, but why not just stop feeling guilty and move the idea of e-bikes forward since it is easily provable a better form of transport than than the norm in most first-world countries?

I saved a gallon and a half of gas on my first commute... I want to say money saver but it's still my hobby (and they best hobby I've ever had!)

SamTexas said:
Hobby and Money Burner for me. But I'm not complaining.
Rodger that!

Every fill-up of my van is $100. Makes the e-bike hobby seem cheap. Meanwhile, riding is fun but driving sucks.

Both, when I took time away from work for a few years it was a great way to get around since I was never in any hurry. It saved a lot of wear and tear on my car as well as gas. Now that I'm working full time I just pour money into it and even drive to the trails. I have been fortunate to be able have most of my hobbies pay for themselves though, so the cost hasn’t been something I usually think about.

It's both a hobby and a money saver. You also have to take in mind that the parts you bought won't last for only an year, they'll do for much more, so u'll save even more money. Besides the money saving, i love to ride my ebike, everybody who tries it likes it and ask me where they can buy one.

I first thought that it would be a money saver and a great way to keep active.
I was in the Military for 23 years and my knee's and hips took a beating, so no more jogging/running for me.
The assist I get with my builds is awesome and keeps me active. I can see more scenery because I can travel
at a sustained speed much easier with the assist.

But now I've built 6 electric projects :lol: 8) :shock: :roll:

The latest was a couple of weeks ago. My Riding Lawn Mower was in need of a re-build.
I just couldn't rebuild that ICE. So now it's electric. What an Addictive Hobby! lol

So Hobby? Money Saver? No! Addiction! :) :D

Tommy L sends.....
mosh.gif

After a few charges to my lipo pack, I started wondering what my economy was. It seemed to good to be true. My last charge I put a amp meter on my chargers power supply and hard to measure exactly as it cycles up and down a bit and tapers off quite a bit near the end of charge, but even at worst case, It easily works out to less than a penny a mile at our high electric rates. I have been pedaling quiet a bit with the motor, but also seeing what it can do on every ride and would not say I baby it in any fashion. Certainly can be a big time money saver if things hold up for a reasonable time. Anything that keeps the overweight ICE vehicle from moving is a good hobby IMO. Won't be long before they get enough attention and the oil companies have a bounty on us all. 8)

I have pre-built 500w rear hub on 36v that I've put 2600 miles on over 2 or 3 years. Since I was already car-free from 4k miles of pedal only I did not notice any money savings but even this modest bike is capable of reaching 20mph day after day after day with very little maintenance. Even more than that though, this bike never gets old. When i turn that corner and apply throttle and the bike straightens up and pulls out of yet another curve I feel that grin spreading on my face and I know it's the right way to travel.

There are a lot of good arguments as a money saver via car replacement. But what about actually making money with these vehicles? My sister is living with me and does not have a job. She used to work for a trolling ice-cream van. She could make a few hundred dollars per week but needed to split the profits with the owner of the van.

I'm not sure if i can make it work but i bought a 450 brushless mid-drive kit from GNG and going to try to install it as a trailer puller. The trailer would have an efficient freezer for ice cream and maybe an ice-chest for cold drinks. I'd like to throw a 250w solar panel on the roof if for nothing else but to attract a crowd. Some nice large lithium batteries and a 12v system for the trailer along with a sound system. The trailer would have a driving mode and park mode where the roof would be brought down low for traveling and extended up for a booth like appearance in park mode.

As you can imagine, a neighborhood trolling van has a serious problem of moving too fast for it's customers but a trolling bicycle trailer would solve that. One could also target crowds in a parked mode and a solar looking bicycle set-up is bound to attract some people hopefully those with kids that want ice-cream.

With the right hours of operation and locations one could generate somewhere between $500 and $1000 / week of revenue and I think 500 of profit is not out of the question with only 10 to 20 hours per week it seems. If so, the bike/trailer could pay for itself in a year or so perhaps. One might even be able to hire someone to drive it around and share the profits with them.

My dream is about roaming the continent/globe in an electric assist bicycle RV so I am hoping to learn some valuable skills from this first build. You say a bicycle can't pull an RV comfortable enough to live in. I agree, but a swarm of bicycle's can pull a rather large dwelling piece by piece. This is my dream and i'm right at the bottom of the hill. A two trailer off grid double wide.

With 650 miles now on it, It is over 25% paid for.
My car still has not moved. I have been all the usual places, but my rides in the country are now a lot slower and I have not done any really long runs like out to the coast. My car mileage for this period would of been about 1600 miles, making my bike 75% paid for, and just weeks away from being a rewarding hobby. I will spend the rewards on the bike I imagine. I think I signed up to when I joined :)

Both. My very cheap to run car costs me $0.40 per mile according to the AA rates, I think it's about right. My first ebike cost me $1500 to build. I've done 4000 miles on that bike, so it's paid for itself!

My new ebike cost be est. $4000 to build, but I use it for larger distances. I do about 2500 miles per year, so it saves me $1000 per year. It'll pay for itself in 4 years time.

I don't count replacement battery costs as a per mile cost as the cell costs drop over time. When these cells do eventually go (could last many many years) I'll just buy replacements and work out how many miles to do again before they're paid.

I also walk about 2500 miles a year to work, gym the shops etc, so my car is really only for driving my 6yr old around, and for days when we have rain. I'd love to go car-free, but I can't with a young child in this country as public transport is pretty much impossible.

Back