Hole was in bottom bracket when I bought bike.

WASYLBRYTAN

100 W
DSC_4191_01.JPG This hole was in my bottom bracket when I bought the bike. Does anyone have any idea what might have caused it?

That's no drainhole(it's above it), it's a hole where the bolt went, that held a bracket that is supposed to hold down the derailleur/rear brake cables.

The bolt and thread got ripped clean out your frame leaving a big hole.

I bought this bike 2 months ago and the torque sensor has failed twice and been replaced under warranty each time. I thought this hole might have something to do with the torque sensor failures but this is a copy and paste of the response I received from the company:

Rize Bikes (Rize Bikes)
Jun 16, 2020, 10:04 AM PDT
Hello Bill,

Thank you for those photos. I've spoken to my tech guy, and this is the email I got from him:

"Jay,

The hole at the bottom is not melted from the torque sensor. It is purposely there for maintenance and torque sensor installation. There's usually a rubber cover with an acrylic adhesive (black) to protect it from heavy weather elements. We have removed it twice, since we had to replace his torque sensor on two separate occasions. It must've came off during the ride home, because I know 100% I placed it back on, but that's no problem I have extras in the shop. The bike a ridable, I would recommend not riding in rough terrain or heavy rain, where chunks or dirt or rocks can enter through that hole. Again, the hole is meant to be there, you can check the bikes in your showroom and you'll see the other City has it as well."

The material is deformed, rolled up, looks like a gunshot wound... Did they make that hole with a pair of pliers?

Tommm said:
The material is deformed, rolled up, looks like a gunshot wound... Did they make that hole with a pair of pliers?

It looks to me like it might have residue from some kind of sealant, like it had been intentionally added and used to pass a cable (or sensor) through.

So, you KNOW the make and model of the bike, you KNOW it has a torque sensor, and, you KNOW it has been replaced, not once, but TWICE, and you post a random pic of a random hole in a random bottom bracket, and ask if anyone KNOWS what the hole might be?

I might be tempted to look up the bike and verify if that small threaded hole above the big one is for a cable bracket that somebody may have forgotten to install, what the plug around the sensor cable looks like, and verify the sealant used around it and how it is applied at the factory, but I just don't feel like playing 20-freakin questions with somebody who appears to be playing games.

I appreciate your help, thank you. It was a weekend when I saw the hole and endless sphere was the only way I knew to try to find out what it was. This morning, I received an explanation from the seller and the issue is solved. Thanks again.

Back