HondaElectricCubMotorbike-ToBeFeaturedAt 2009 TokyoAutoShow

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

Looks nice. Will be featured at the Auto Show but production plans are unknown.

http://evworld.com/currents.cfm?jid=38
to be featured at the 2009 Tokyo auto show later this month
honda_evcub_studio2.jpg

Return of the Legend

By Bill Moore

In 1958, a ten year-old Japanese company introduced a 50cc motorbike dubbed the Super Cub. It was relatively cheap -- equivalent to around $3000 today -- and dependable. In a nation still slowly rebuilding its war-shattered economy, it gave millions of Japanese workers an affordable way to commute and shop. Now, fifty years later, it remains the most popular motor vehicle ever built. Some 60 million have been sold worldwide and it is still manufactured in 14 countries, now mainly in Asia.

The secret of its success was the revolutionary 4-stroke, 49cc engine that Honda developed to compete with the then-dominant and dirty 2-stroke motors powering the small motorbikes of the time. It was the 49cc Honda 50 (renamed in all likelihood so as not to be confused with the Piper-built airplane of the same name) that was featured in the highly successful "You Meet the Nicest People On a Honda" ad campaign in North America. This was the machine that made Honda a household name across the United States in the early 1960s, setting the stage for the later introduction of Honda's highly fuel efficient -- for their time and still today -- automobiles.

Now Honda may be posed to repeat that formula, this time with an all-electric version of the Cub, which will be featured at the 2009 Tokyo auto show later this month. Dubbed the EV Cub (pictured above), it is nearly the mirror image of the original Super Cub (pictured above). While details are sketchy as to possible production plans, performance and pricing, it isn't a stretch to believe that this will be the first battery-powered motor vehicle Honda will produce for commercial sales in the not-to-distant future. If it does announce in Tokyo that it plans to introduce the bike in the next couple years, it will give Honda the test bed it needs to gain valuable experience with advanced battery technology; it is unlikely they will rely on lead-acid to power the bike. NiMH would be a good first guess, but they may opt for lithium-ion, or even have some surprise chemistry up their sleeve like nickel zinc, but that's just speculation.

After building some 300 EV Plus electric cars for the California market in response to the state's 1990 ZEV mandate and subsequent "Memorandum of Understanding", Honda abandoned battery-powered EVs for hydrogen fuel cells. In the subsequent years, it has steady progress, culminating in the remarkable FCX Clarity sedan.

While Honda remains committed to the continued development of fuel cell-powered electric vehicles, it recently announced that it too would be offering an electric car, a concept version of which will also be on display in Tokyo this month. But, it could be the EV Cub that Honda sees as the pathway towards not only perfecting its electric vehicle technology, but also preparing the public for EVs in general. Just as the Honda 50 proved to skeptical American buyers that the Japanese could produce high-quality motor vehicles, even it they were just the small motorbikes their teenagers rode to school on each morning, so the an electric version of the Cub, sold in their millions, will get families, friends and neighbors comfortable with the idea of electric cars, especially Honda electric cars.

Where the Vectrix -- and I'll have more to say about it later -- failed because it was over-priced and totally wrong for the market, an electric Honda 50 priced under $5000 could again transform public opinion and be the fuse that ignites the electric vehicle market.

Honda EV Cub electric motorbike could be successor to the most popular motor vehicle in the world.

Honda literally made millions of Cubs worldwide. Add a front disc brake and tubeless tires, and they are still relevant today. The electric version is very cool, I'm very glad a major player like Honda is making a big commitment to something like this....

roddy.11.jpg

I highly doubt they will come to production but I would love to be wrong. I am a motorcycle mechanic and the money all the motorcycle companies make off of parts and service it amazing. I don't think thay care to sell a bike that never needs maintence or parts. Imagine how bad our global econamy will be when we quit burning gas and never need service work and all our vehicals last alot longer. The only way this will come about is if we the little guys group together and force it! I am doing my part I will get people thinking about electric vehicals as they see me use them and come for rides ect. But I would love to do more if I could.

i like how it pretty much keeps the same styling of the original super cub. i think its fantastic that honda has a concept of an electric bike that would have potential of making it in a mainstream market. what if honda turned that into a hybrid instead like a lot of the car they were producing. that would be pretty cool.

I bet a honda electric scooter would have good quality, compared to the current offerings from asia.

An original Honda Cub is a viable candidate for an electric conversion. If I found an off-brand Chinese scooter to convert, I might not be able to find parts for it. Using a Honda scooter as a donor, you are guaranteed to be able to get any parts you might need. And you can be confident the frame is well-engineered, and was made from quality materials.

I am not a fan of the front drum brake, but if I had one, I would have the shoes relined by Porterfield.

This looks really awesome. I think the pricepoint will be the most interesting variable. However, they can likely sell another 60 million of these if its done right:D

if they can use fast-rechage ports with 350v power contacts and have a decent cycle life on the batteries up to like300€ / 4200 usd seem like a reasoable price for a quality 35 mph tops 8 and range ?) scooter.

over here in europe no vehicle tax applies and the insurance and registartion can be had up from like 35€ / 50 USD.

2 Motors, so at the very least 1500 watts of power as i hope - maybe a planetary stepless gearing in them, too ?

i wonder if there is a "cruise" mode at which one of the motors is shut of or alike features and if it will come with regen brake.

4 grand would be a bit of a bummer for me unless there was some pretty serious range capability and a pretty sizable pack.

dogman said:
I bet a honda electric scooter would have good quality, compared to the current offerings from asia.

I think you're right. It could be the first of it's kind. (yes, I'm implying Vetrix = fail)

Honda's have good quality compared to anything. My first motorcycle was a 82 450 honda nighthawk, I bought it when it was 17 years old and drove it as my main transportation for eight years. It never needed anything but tires and oil. This is a big part of honda's future, the president of honda was talking about this bike in his end of year speech as honda rebuilding itself the same way it was built the first time around. Start with a small perfect machine and build an empire with it as the foundation. First the electric cub, sale a millions of them to bring the price of the technology down and prove the technology then a electric motorcycle and then a electric car. :D

grindz145 said:
4 grand would be a bit of a bummer for me unless there was some pretty serious range capability and a pretty sizable pack.

I'm not sure why one would want "some pretty serious range capability" with a scooter. I don't imagine the cub being taken on the freeway and the furthest I would be willing to go an something like that would be like an hour, so that equals 30-40 miles? Now, of course, that might be serious range compared to some of the common electric motorcycles. :)

40 Miles = serious range in today's EV world (sadly enough). But for 4k I would love to see more like 100 to be competitive. I've ridden my hondas ~70k mi, all over the country. I would love for Honda to take a serious step forward with a reasonable quality production model EV motorcycle. They could make a killing in china alone, where the cub is still sold in petrol version.

Back