• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How do I cover/attach my new battery?

sangesf

10 kW
Hi all,

Maybe you can help me out with something...

I just bought a LiFePo4 battery, and now I want to attach it to my Electric Bicycle.
What would you suggest is the best way to do this?

I have a small back rack, and my battery is approx. 6" x 6" x 7" in size. I need to make sure the enclosure I put it in is somewhat shock and water resistant. I also need to have a place to mount the charger/charging plugs on the outside of the enlosure.

Any ideas? Are there pre-made ones? Do I have to make up my own?

Below is a small, (stupid) diagram, but it gives you an idea of what I have. Currently I just have it sitting directly on the rack (held down with bungy cords).
........_____________________
......| LiFePo4 Battery Pack|
|.....|(5.5" tall x 5.5 in wide)|
|.....| ( and 7.1 inches long)|
|......|____________________|
|_______________________________________
(Rack - 12" long x 6" wide)

Battery placement, how to attach it, hide it, etc. is the biggest issue with custom electric bicycles. Justin at ebikes.ca has made the digital dash-board for us (the Cycleanalyst, formerly known as the Drainbrain). Now, I just need to devise a battery mounting system that is universal to all bicycles and takes that factor out of custom building electric bicycles.

A bracket of some sort that bolts to waterbottle cage bolts, and / or the rack mounts, etc. and allows the batteries to be locked, and easily removed, so you can throw the bike up on a roof rack without the battery weight adding to the equation.

Some sort of box, with switches for power and Justin's CA built right in, or a pared down version of it... and it's shock-mounted suspended innards will have holes for custom mounting controllers of different sizes. It will have a built in fuse box and dc / dc converter with accessory outlets, for plugging in your heated clothes and cell phone...

I'm seriously gonna invent this box / system, but I can't figure out how to mount it on the dang bicycle! That's the problem for all of us. Once there is a divine solution, we will all drown in the sea of new e-biker's custom builds.

There are some really good examples of better battery mounting on this forum. Some really stealth designs. Proper weight balance, low center of gravity, how incognito is it, etc. If you make one better, you suffer somewhere else. It's our dilemma.

I'm thinking it will be a rear rack, that attaches to the axle, instead of those little 10 x 32 bolts. With removable / lockable boxes way down low... It always ends up being a customized set-up. There needs to be a universal solution, but at this time, there is not. Good luck.

If you are going to carry on a rear rack, start looking for tackle and toolboxes that are the right size. The vintage steel ones are best if you can find one. Or find a welder that does aluminum and have a pricey box made. Read Links bike build thread for some good ideas if you are going to fabricate yourself.

Plenty of room for all kinds of stuff in something like this - though it is a bit pricy......

http://www.msxn.com/cargo%20cache.html

cargocache_open.jpg

cargocache_closed.jpg

sangesf said:
Hi all,

Maybe you can help me out with something...

I just bought a LiFePo4 battery, and now I want to attach it to my Electric Bicycle.
What would you suggest is the best way to do this?

I have a small back rack, and my battery is approx. 6" x 6" x 7" in size. I need to make sure the enclosure I put it in is somewhat shock and water resistant. I also need to have a place to mount the charger/charging plugs on the outside of the enlosure.

Any ideas? Are there pre-made ones? Do I have to make up my own?

Below is a small, (stupid) diagram, but it gives you an idea of what I have. Currently I just have it sitting directly on the rack (held down with bungy cords).
........_____________________
......| LiFePo4 Battery Pack|
|.....|(5.5" tall x 5.5 in wide)|
|.....| ( and 7.1 inches long)|
|......|____________________|
|_______________________________________
(Rack - 12" long x 6" wide)

Look in the photos of bikes section for some ideas. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6
Lots of ways of doing it just make sure its on good and protected should you drop or crash the bike.
Good luck

Back