New battery how do I connect it???

MT_LEADER

10 µW
Ok I just got my new battery that I ordered my old battery was a 48 volt new ones at 48 volt the connectors were wrong that I ordered though and I'm not sure what's connectors need to go where and I don't want to mess up my new battery I'm going to post pictures here to show what the battery is and the connectors in my battery case. I'm not going to use the key lock. I hope I'm posting this in the right place thanks for helping me ahead of time. I have never worked on a bike battery but am good with fixing things just want to make sure I don't mess up the battery or me.The connectors on the battery are 2 push connector and a 2 pin with tabs on each side.

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_160430.jpg
    IMG_20240405_160430.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240405_160411.jpg
    IMG_20240405_160411.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240405_160426.jpg
    IMG_20240405_160426.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240405_160401.jpg
    IMG_20240405_160401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240405_160346.jpg
    IMG_20240405_160346.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
Well, the label on the battery saying it's 30Ah (30,000mAh) is almost certainly a lie, given the size of the pack relative to your hand, so I would not really trust the battery or the seller.

If you can return it and get your money back, I'd do that right now.

I'd guess it's probably closer to a tenth of that given the typical construction and contents of packs made by places like that. I don't know what current (Amps, A) it says it can do, but I'd probably move the decimal place one to the left for that, too.

So, assuming they didn't screw up which wires are which, too, then the thick red wire goes to the thick red + wire of your battery case, and the thick black wire goes to the thick black wire - of your battery case.

I can't see which wires are which for your 3-pin charger port on the battery case, but the red wire on the small 2-pin battery connector would go to the positive pin of that port, and the black would go to the negative. To be certain which is which if they are not just two wires, one red, one black, you'll need a multimeter that can be set to 200VDC, and your charger, and a good picture that shows the battery case charger wires and back of that connector, and we can give you testing directions from there.

If you want to use the battery meter on the case, you'll have to splice that in to the thick wires; I'd do that on the ones that are part of the case, rather than the battery, since you can do it without the battery connected, which is safer than modifying any battery wiring.

A quick google for Aoae 30000mAh 48v battery finds several sites selling them. This page
has specs that show their rated capacity can't be correct, because a 30Ah 5p battery would have to be 6Ah per cell, and there are no 18650s with that capacity (and it wouldn't cost $77 if there were).

It is much more likely to be made of cheap low-capacity and low-capability cells or garbage recycled cells, and I doubt it can supply the 20A it says it can, either, much less the 40A peak.

It's possible that their "30Ah" is adding up the total capacity of *all* the cells in series and parallel (which is not how that works), in which case each cell is less than 500mAh. If that's the case, they're *really* bad cells, defective or recycled garbage, etc., and pulling 20A off 5p would be 4A per cell, which would be 4000 / 500 = 8C; I can't imagine cells that bad handling that kind of current very well (will probably get hot).

I also doubt the BMS has a balancing function, so the pack will probably go out of balance fairly quickly, dropping in range until it becomes unusable, or even refusing to charge (if you're lucky; catastrophic failure of one kind or another if you're not).

Product Specifications]
Battery Model: 48v 30000mAh
Battery Type: Li-ion
Nominal Voltage: 48v
Cell Size: 18650
Cell Combination: 5-parallel 13-series
Cell Quantity (parallel*series): 65pcs
Cell Size : 252X95X68mm
Discharge Cutoff Voltage: 36+/- 1V
Rated Discharge Current: 20A
instantaneous Maximum Discharge Current: 40A
Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 20A
Maximum Continuous Charge Current: 5A
Charge Mode: CC-CV
Standard Charge Current: 2A
Charge Time under Standard Charge Current: 7.5hours
Fast Charge Current: 5A
Charge Time under Fast Charge Current: 3hours
Charge Temperature Range: 0-55°C
Cycle life: 800 times

I got this battery just to use for short trips by my house. I know it's not great but couldn't spend a lot at the moment. I'm saving good batteries to make my own but have to learn how to do that, I try to be a DIY with as much as I can. On a fixed income. I just need it to connect and not kill me or my wife when we check the mail. I'll be sure to charge it outside in case it does heat up. I have almost all Samsung batteries saved to make 1 DIY battery soon and Panasonic saved for a 2 one. But have to see how to build or find someone with a battery for around 110$. But here are the pictures u ask for. I do have a multi meter, and will never buy from AliExpress again very bad experience there

Attachments

• IMG_20240405_233729.jpg
    IMG_20240405_233729.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240405_233756.jpg
    IMG_20240405_233756.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
It's likely that the red wire on the three pin rectangular plug is charger positive, and the yellow is charger negative.

You can verify this by connecting your charger to the battery case plug as normal, then check the voltage and polarity you have on the yellow and red wires.

The black wire appears to only go to the battery meter.

Regarding building packs, there are many threads here on how to do so with various types of cells and various types of interconnect methods, but keep in mind that it will probably cost about as much to build your own as to buy a quality one, between buying known good cells (or all the equipment to test unknown used ones, plus all the time to do it), and all the equipment and parts to assemble a pack from them.

Also, if the cells you intend to use aren't identical in all characteristics, then you have the additional step, after testing them, of creating parallel groups that are as close to identical as possible, for each of the cell characteristics, so they all perform the same. (this is a labor-intensive set of steps I can guarantee none of the cheap pack builders ever do, and is one reason their packs don't work as well or as long).

All this kind of stuff is covered in the various pack building / cell testing / etc threads, if you poke around for them, mostly in the Battery Technology subforum. :)

I am wondering why it matters what is inside the original battery. Aren't you just placing the new blue battery into the empty space left the the original? Wouldn't you just run its plus/minus wires to the wires from the battery cradle. You would also just adapt the charger connector so it fits the battery. Did you plan to take the original apart and put the blue pack inside?

I am wondering why it matters what is inside the original battery. Aren't you just placing the new blue battery into the empty space left the the original? Wouldn't you just run its plus/minus wires to the wires from the battery cradle. You would also just adapt the charger connector so it fits the battery. Did you plan to take the original apart and put the blue pack inside?
I ordered the wrong connectors on the new battery. I was given the trike with a battery that won't charge cause the BMS is bad and a bunch of the cells in the old battery were rusted, it's a messy thing. So I got this crappy one for temp use tell I built or looks like now I may be buying a new or used/refurbished one.

But have to see how to build or find someone with a battery for around 110$.

This price point is not realistic, You can’t just buy the cheapest possible battery and assume that it’s safe.

and will never buy from AliExpress again very bad experience there

AliExpress is a safe place to order, never had an issue. Probably should’ve done more research on batteries before buying the cheapest possible battery. I understand that you have to stay within budget but this is risky and dangerous. I personally wouldn’t bring a battery like that inside my house. I mean, the company has already blatantly lied about the capacity of the cells. Why trust anything else from them?

In 2021, I bought a pair of shrinkwrapped batteries from China. $99 and $119 shipped for a 48V10AH and a 48V15AH. Unlike the ones above, these were labeled as 10AH and 15AH, and used 21700 cells so the rated numbers were plausible. They did provide about 80% of the capacity 8.2AH and 11.7AH. I was happy with that, given the price. The brands are Laudation and Littokala. While I've used them for 2 years now, I wouldn't buy them again. They were sent by Hong Kong Post, which is illegal for batteries. The glued up construction is unsafe unless you add a lot of padding.

Seems to me though, Mr. MT_Leader, that you can go to the hardware store and get some male bullet crimp-on connectors. Put those on the controller, instead of the female ones it has now. The battery appears to have female bullets, like it should.

As for charging, buy some of these. Splice a male one on the charger, since you'll never need its connector again., Put a female ob the battery, Lay the battery in the back of the trike. Make sure it's secure and shockproof. Try to leave it at partial charge when not using it.
A_con.jpg

This price point is not realistic, You can’t just buy the cheapest possible battery and assume that it’s safe.

AliExpress is a safe place to order, never had an issue. Probably should’ve done more research on batteries before buying the cheapest possible battery. I understand that you have to stay within budget but this is risky and dangerous. I personally wouldn’t bring a battery like that inside my house. I me re wan, the company has already blatantly lied about the capacity of the cells. Wh teay trust an reything else from them?
Yeah it's sitting on my porch now. I'm going to try sending it back. This is a little bit of a head ache to me. If electric cars are like this to I'll walk 😆. I think I need to do more reading and stuff to wrap my head into the ebike stuff. It's easier for me to do fabrication and add a gas motor to things

It's a new world you need an electrical testing device a multimeter will do. Now you have to learn how to use a multimeter that means putting the knobs in the right place before connecting to electrical devices. Red black green and yellow mean nothing to Chinese workers it might mean something in America but those colors don't necessarily mean anything to a Chinese worker. So get out your multimeter and figure out which ones positive and which one's negative before you connect before you connect.
I I agree with Amber wolf and Eastwood that battery looks like a potential fire hazard. But why but why because you can't sue China. And once they have your money they don't want to give it back so buy with PayPal buy with confidence so you can return it. It's like going to the 99 cent store to get a steak for dinner. What kind of steak we get for 99 cents. It's probably a bunch of meat pieces and products smashed together to make it look like a steak.

I think I need to do more reading and stuff to wrap my head into the ebike stuff. It's easier for me to do fabrication and add a gas motor to things
I have a draft newbie FAQ that has some info and a few informative links that folks have provided. It may be helpful for the fundamental info.

To return it legally from the US, it will likely cost you more than what the battery cost originally. If you try to sneak it thru as a not-battery, the fine in the USA is around $30,000.

Aliexpress has been known to give the customer a partial refund and waive return of the battery, but you need to present a case. Just saying a bazillion Amp-hours is impossible probably won't cut it.

For the record, I still have sitting on the edge of my desk a fine assortment of 1400mAh 18650's that were shipped to me as being at the time the new hotness of cels (I can't even remember what they were supposed to be it was for demo units for the vape company I used to well.... I guess manage? I was the head Chemist.) they tried to tell me that I was not charging them correctly... Long and short I had used a escrow service, and with that I had to send video's including an entire 45 minute one showing how I tested capacity and then running the cel down to minimal charge... It was ridiculous, then they admitted that there was an issue, including that the serial numbers etched into the metal under the wrapper was *NOT* from the supposed manufacturer, the Escrow company told me they believed that they were lying, but it would take them a few months to give up and admit it. They tried everything from 10% refund and we will "allow" you to keep the bad cels... to I think they camped out on 56 or so percent being that was how much the difference was between their trash and what I was after. I eventually got the money back, and was told to never darken their doorstep or venture into that part of china.... Brother, i am banned from your country. no worries about that. (no I am not a criminal I am retired Military and they evidently don't believe that us old broke guys aren't up to something nefarious)

However I could probably leverage that Ban into getting an Aussie citizenship.. is that still a requirement there?

Back