How do I lock my bike computer?

eSurfer

100 W
I've got an unbreakable, uncutable bike lock for my eBike, but I'm worried about the bike battery/speedo computer on the handlebars. Is there a device, or a way to lock those down? I'm thinking of some sort of small enclosure or case that locks over it. I need something that will keep people from stealing the computer while I am surfing. Is there a product for that?

No lock is "uncutable".
I would help if you told us what bike/computer you have.
A pic would be even better.
This is how Ebike CA adds a little security to their Cycle Analyst;

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/ca-accessories/ca-security.html

Let me clarify "uncutable" By that I mean something you can't cut quickly with a hand tool. Slash and grab resistant.

Temporary solution for my surf tomorrow: I covered up the computer mounting screws with Shoe Goo just now. That stuff dries pretty hard and will require a Dremil tool to make the screws accessible. Kind of a kludgy solution that won't stop a thief, but it should slow down somebody with just a screwdriver. Will make adjustment difficult, but better than losing it to one of the many punks who hang around Newport Pier.

A member posted that he wrapped the handle bars and computer with a cover of old inner tube, to hide it.

Might consider camouflage, combined with locating the computer in a funny place. You need to get at it to turn the bike on and off, but really don't have to have it on the bars.

dogman dan said:
Might consider camouflage, combined with locating the computer in a funny place. You need to get at it to turn the bike on and off, but really don't have to have it on the bars.
Not a bad idea, thanks.

What I do is tie a small plastic bag around the handlebar and stem. Just make a simple knot covering the display. I have done this for close to a month now and have not had any problems. I remember reading it on a forum that was dealing with bike security issues. So far it has worked for me because I would disconnect all the wiring from the display and the button that turns on the bafang. The problem I encountered is in the Winter with the connectors are outside they took on a slightly different shape than the connectors I had indoors with me all day. When I would get outside to make the connections with the brakes and display and on switch with the battery, the connectors would not line up. In 30 degree weather trying to connect this without gloves became a challenge. Then I read that in a forum. My problem has been solved.

All I do now is connect the battery (voltmeter is already connected to the battery) with the motor, press the on button and watch the display light up through the black garbage bag. I don't want anyone seeing me take out the bag while the bike is still parked.

Problem solved for now.

Nelsjourney said:
What I do is tie a small plastic bag around the handlebar and stem. Just make a simple knot covering the display. I have done this for close to a month now and have not had any problems. I remember reading it on a forum that was dealing with bike security issues. So far it has worked for me because I would disconnect all the wiring from the display and the button that turns on the bafang. The problem I encountered is in the Winter with the connectors are outside they took on a slightly different shape than the connectors I had indoors with me all day. When I would get outside to make the connections with the brakes and display and on switch with the battery, the connectors would not line up. In 30 degree weather trying to connect this without gloves became a challenge. Then I read that in a forum. My problem has been solved.

All I do now is connect the battery (voltmeter is already connected to the battery) with the motor, press the on button and watch the display light up through the black garbage bag. I don't want anyone seeing me take out the bag while the bike is still parked.

Problem solved for now.

Hmm, interesting idea. Thieves would have to move the bag just to see if they want to steal anything. Takes away the opportunity to slash and grab. That might help, think I'll try it. Thanks.

NYC is a place which I guess might have a lot of thieves, so if it works for you, it's probably a good idea.

I am glad to report that since the last post more than 2 months have past and no one has even touched my plastic bag idea to see what I have underneath.

Nelsjourney said:
I am glad to report that since the last post more than 2 months have past and no one has even touched my plastic bag idea to see what I have underneath.

Great idea. Very simple and low tech.

Back