• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How do you charge your A123 cells...

Not to confuse the issue, but Mastech also has a dual output charger that can produce up to 100volts @ 5 amps by configuring the outputs with the panel switches. :shock: It would be slow, but I thought this power supply was pretty cool, due to all the ways it can be configured.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MASTECH-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-DUAL-VARIABLE-0-50V-0-5A_W0QQitemZ250195959524QQihZ015QQcategoryZ32720QQcmdZViewItem

The unit also has a switch to choose among INDEPENDENT, SERIES or PARALLEL operation which allows the choice of two independent 0-50V @ 0-5A outputs OR one 0-100V @ 0-5A output OR one 0-50V @ 0-10A output.

Indeed, I understand any "dual" supply can be wired to give double the voltage. Theres lots of others besides mastech...

steveo said:
That board layout.. did you design it yourself? did you purchase it somewhere; i don't think the single cell charging method isn't so bad.. how many cells could you charge at once on that charger 10 in series but how many in parallel with the bost & without.. or do you charge each 36v pack seperatly?

thanks
Steve

I had some help with the circuit design from Bob Mcree, mainly with the FET logic, and to help me figure out how to use the same chips we use in the LVC circuits, but I did the board layout, and had a few made. The logic was a little tricky because normally the TC54 voltage detector chip is used to sense when a voltage level goes below a certain point (2.7V for this version...), and in this case, we need to detect when it goes above a certain point (3.7V). The TC54 resets itself when the voltage level goes above the 2.7V level, plus a hysteresis voltage of .15V, so by adding a pair of resistors to act as a voltage divider, the 3.7V is brought down to 2.85V. When the cell voltage hits 3.7V, it will reset the TC54 chip. Since it is active low, the logic in the connection to the optocoupler chip had to be reversed. That was easy enough to do, still using the same resistor.

The basic theory is that as soon as one cell hits 3.7V, the rest can't be too far behind, so the bulk supply can be cutoff, and the individual chargers can continue on. Soon all will have switched into the constant voltage mode, where the voltage is held at the cutoff (i.e. -- 3.7V...) and the current is allowed to gradually go down as the cell becomes fully charged. This is defined as the point when the current going back into the cell drops to about 200 mA.

Depending on how lazy I am, I'll sometimes do each 10s6p pack separately, or I'll use a special balancing harness that connects both 10s6p sup-packs in parallel, in a 10s12p configuration. Without the boost supply, theis will take many hours, if the packs are pretty well depleted (normally I rarely use more than half the capacity...). With my 20s4p setup on the folding bike, I generally do the same, and hook them together in parallel, in a 10s8p configuration,for charging. Without the boost supply, it takes the 10 individual chargers about 9 hours to fully charge both packs if they are fully depleted. With the extra 17A in the "front end" of the charging cycle, which gets the pack(s) to about the 85% level, the total time is reduced to about 1-1/2 hours.

-- Gary

EMF said:
Not to confuse the issue, but Mastech also has a dual output charger that can produce up to 100volts @ 5 amps by configuring the outputs with the panel switches. :shock: It would be slow, but I thought this power supply was pretty cool, due to all the ways it can be configured.

Yes, I've seen these as well, but the big advantage that the 5020 has is that it can charge at a 20A rate. As Steve points out, there's lots of 5A solutions out there for doing a whole pack at once. You still have the balancing issue to deal with as well. A bulk charger only works on the whole pack at once. With a pack tha has one or two blocks that are significantly lower than the rest, they won't receive a full charge, even if the bulk charger is doing the constant voltage mode. You really need to balance and then charge, if you have a pack with mismatched cell voltages.

Another case where individual chargers help is if you have packs that are made with cells that have been stressed, or lost a little capacity, compared to the rest. In my 6p setup, I had a number of cells that were weaker, mainly due to the fact that I had beat the crap out of them in my RC helicopters. What I did was to parallel them up with some stronger cells, in order to "help" them work better. This does lower the "resting" voltage of these blocks a bit, and my RC balancers never do quite get them completely balanced right. If I leave them on there long enough, they will bring the strong blocks down to the level of the weaker ones, but then when I charge them, the "full" voltages will be different again. The problem is that the weaker blocks never get fully charged, if I just use a bulk charger. With the individual cell chargers, each block will get as full as it can. I usually end up with resting voltages, fresh off the charger that range from about 3.72-3.85V, for the strong blocks, and about 3.58-3.65V for the couple that are a bit weaker. Once under a load, for even just a few seconds, all the cells will drop down to somewhere around 3.50-3.55V.

I'm still trying to totally understand just how the a123 cells behave together in large packs Healthy cells seem to have the ability to hold their voltage up, right off the charger, close to whatever the cutoff is set to, and stressed cells seem to alway start dropping to some lower value, like somewhere between 3.40 and 3.45V. Once under load, however, the voltage difference between the weaker cells and the healthy ones seems to be a lot less. They will be very clsoe, actually, and if you check, say, at halfway through the capacity, they will all be extremely close, usually within about .005V.

I've got one setup, on the bike in my avatar, that is made up of 5 strings of 16 cells in series. Even though they are "shrunk" together in two packs, as shown below, they are still basical five 16s1p packs, with all five power leads coming out of the packs

a123-16s5p-01.jpg

You can see that all five are connected to a 5 position "manifold" that connects them in parallel, in a 16s5p configuration
-
I never balance any of these 16s sub-strings, which were all made from cells of varying capacities/resting voltages, and I usually simply use my NG1 to charge all five together at once. Occasionally, I will charge each string individually, but again, the cells inside are not being balanced together. The NG1 has been tweaked to have a CC/CV cutoff at 59V. Usually, most of the five will have a fully charged "resting voltage right around 57.5-58.0V. One pack, which has always been a bit lower, will have a resting voltage, about a half-hour after a charge, of around 56.6V. I'm purposely trying to make this as bad a case as i can, by not balancing the cells within a 16s string, and by not connecting the individual cells in parallel. I'm just going to keep going until I see if one of the strings has a lower voltage than normal, after a charge. So far, it has been pretty consistant, and it hasn't made much difference, even if I just charge them togeher, all at once. Should be an interesting test. :)

-- Gary

AhHA! I have seen this Deans parallel connector and wondered if it could handle the current. That's a nice setup Gary. (I am going to copy it!) :oops:

Also, your test is most interesting indeed. I'm going to do a little testing on my own, to see how the cells in my new setup will fair with bulk charging. It will be fun to see how (if) they stay in balance and for how long. Then I can come up with a PM program for balancing.

Just for grins, I checked the voltage for the 16s5p setup, which has been sitting for a bit over a week. All five were at 57.1V. I left them unconnected, and checked again, after several hours and all five were still at 57.1V. I'll leave them over night, and check them again tomorrow. I'm also going to rdie this bike a couple times tomorrow, and cycle the packs a couple times. This has really got me wondering now. :)

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
Just for grins, I checked the voltage for the 16s5p setup, which has been sitting for a bit over a week. All five were at 57.1V. I left them unconnected, and checked again, after several hours and all five were still at 57.1V. I'll leave them over night, and check them again tomorrow. I'm also going to rdie this bike a couple times tomorrow, and cycle the packs a couple times. This has really got me wondering now. :)

-- Gary

I'd really like to know your results on that .. did you just balance it when you made the pack & been charging them without balancing them ever since?

p.s. where did you purchase that deas parrallel connector to do the 5p 16s pack.

-steve

steveo said:
GGoodrum said:

-- Gary

I'd really like to know your results on that .. did you just balance it when you made the pack & been charging them without balancing them ever since?

p.s. where did you purchase that deas parrallel connector to do the 5p 16s pack.

-steve

I originally got the parallel Deans connectors from FMADirect.

Each 16s string is made from a hodge-podge of cells, some new, but most well used. All are in reasonably good shape, and deliver pretty close to full capacity, but their voltages are all over the place, fully charged. I originally made two 16s2p packs, and then later did a single 16s1p "booster" pack. When I found the 9"-wide heavy-duty shrink wrap, I decided to to open up one of the 16s2p packs, and add the 5th "stick" to it. While I had it open, I checked the voltages for all the cells. The packs were just off the charger when I did this check, and the voltages were all over the place. They ranged from a low of 3.42V, to a high of 3.78V. At first, this worried me, that they were all so different, but then I remembered that some of the cells started out being a bit weaker than the others, and would only end up with a resting voltage around 3.40-3.45V.

Anyway, what I think is happening is that because these 16s strings are made up of such a widely varying mix of cells, from a fully charged resting voltage, point-of-view, but they may still be balanced, or there is soe sort of self-balancing going on. I need to check the voltage levels after, say, half the capacity is used, and then see what each cell is at, and see just how out-of-balance they really are. I suspect that they will still be out-of-balance, but maybe not as much as they seem to be, fresh off the charger.

-- Gary

EMF said:
I wonder if anyone can tell from this page, if this charger could be used on 10s A123 packs safely?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2448

No, that one is for a 10-cell Li-Ion/LiPo pack, so it has a cutoff of 42V (10 x 4.2V). What you need instead is this one: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3289, which is specifically for a LiFePO4-based 10-cell pack. It has a cutoff of 38V.

-- Gary

GGoodrum said:
EMF said:
I wonder if anyone can tell from this page, if this charger could be used on 10s A123 packs safely?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2448

No, that one is for a 10-cell Li-Ion/LiPo pack, so it has a cutoff of 42V (10 x 4.2V). What you need instead is this one: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3289, which is specifically for a LiFePO4-based 10-cell pack. It has a cutoff of 38V.

-- Gary

Ahhh. Whew! Thanks for that info Gary. My goal is to make it possible for me to ride my bike to work daily, plus go home for lunch. Total mileage 28.

What I was thinking, was to get two of these and stick them on my bike or have them at work, then I could charge the bike really slow whilst I was at work. I know it's just one amp per string, but, since the pack is not that low from my ride in or possibly after returning from lunch, maybe this would extend my range enough so I could get by with a 20s4p pack. Don't know.

Hi here is how I charge my dewalt battery. I fond out, that it is ok to ballance the packs after a couple of charges. With this device I can charge the 2s2p pack in about 34-40 minutes when it's almost empty. The MRGN-900 gives 550Watt with (36V @16,2A) and I stick the 4 Dewalt batteries normally in serial to charge them.

Attachments

• CIMG4804.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,762
I currently run a 16s5p A123 setup for my bike. You can find the thread here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2317

I've used the Mastech 5020 with 2 Hyperion LBA10 balancers since last Oct. So far so good. When I'm not balancing I charge at the full 20A with each 8s5p sub pack separately. When I'm charging and balancing I do a slow 5-10A(LBA-10's max out @ 10A).

The thing I don't like is having to wait and monitor the charge to make sure during CV mode the current stops @ 800mA to 1A. As to not have current going back to the PSU when the cells top off and damaging the Mastech(that's the one thing the distributer warned me to be careful of).

I do notice though that while charging/balancing, after the charging process, the LBA10's are still balancing so I turn off the charger and change the LBA10's to "disconnected mode" to finish balancing. They go from a peak charge of 29.2v(8s) down to 27.8v-28v after the balancers turn off when complete(takes about 30 min after charger is off). What usually helps is charging at a lower rate, like 3A, then the LBA-10's balance the pack a bit quicker. Granted, I've only charged the packs a total of 7 times since I received them and I've only used 10ah of the rated available 11.5ah only on 2 occasions. I mostly use about less than half the ah the other 5 times. So the packs are still fairly new and I've been told it takes a few more cycles to get these packs consistently balanced. I haven't been riding much since Oct.

I guess the question I have is: Are the balancers preventing me from getting a fully charged pack? And if so, do I recharge it again at a lower Amp rate to top it off @ 29.2v? Thats what I've been doing right before going for a ride.

DeeL2003 said:
I currently run a 16s5p A123 setup for my bike. You can find the thread here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2317

I've used the Mastech 5020 with 2 Hyperion LBA10 balancers since last Oct. So far so good. When I'm not balancing I charge at the full 20A with each 8s5p sub pack separately. When I'm charging and balancing I do a slow 5-10A(LBA-10's max out @ 10A).

The thing I don't like is having to wait and monitor the charge to make sure during CV mode the current stops @ 800mA to 1A. As to not have current going back to the PSU when the cells top off and damaging the Mastech(that's the one thing the distributer warned me to be careful of).

I do notice though that while charging/balancing, after the charging process, the LBA10's are still balancing so I turn off the charger and change the LBA10's to "disconnected mode" to finish balancing. They go from a peak charge of 29.2v(8s) down to 27.8v-28v after the balancers turn off when complete(takes about 30 min after charger is off). What usually helps is charging at a lower rate, like 3A, then the LBA-10's balance the pack a bit quicker. Granted, I've only charged the packs a total of 7 times since I received them and I've only used 10ah of the rated available 11.5ah only on 2 occasions. I mostly use about less than half the ah the other 5 times. So the packs are still fairly new and I've been told it takes a few more cycles to get these packs consistently balanced. I haven't been riding much since Oct.

I guess the question I have is: Are the balancers preventing me from getting a fully charged pack? And if so, do I recharge it again at a lower Amp rate to top it off @ 29.2v? Thats what I've been doing right before going for a ride.

I do charge them first normally with 16A, so it's 4A per cell and when they are full, I plug in the ballancer to a pack after another to ballance if necessary. I ballance so, that the charger is still on. So the main volt level of the pack is allways the same, while ballancer is doing his job. But even if you balance offline, i don't think that the balancing process pulls too much out of the pack unless the cells are really wide drifted.
By the way,( "As to not have current going back to the PSU when the cells top off and damaging the Mastech") is by my oppinion not possible, that current will go back to the psu. How can the battery top the volts of the mastech, when it's charged by it? And even if it would be littlebit higher, I don't think it can damage the psu.
At the end of the charge the is such little current flowing, that nothing can happen, by my oppinion.

Tanicpacks sells this product. "HY5020 Fused Charging cord"
This will protect the power supply from internal damage when accidentally plugging a battery pack in backwards.
https://www.tanicpacks.com/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=847
20-amp-charging-cord.gif

I think what you need is a Schottky diode between the Mastech and the battery. This will allow current to flow to the battery, but will block current flowing the other way.

Greg
PS I am just a beginner when it comes to electronics. So speak up if this is incorrect.

Back