How hard have you pushed a Golden Motor?

Link

1 MW
Pretty much just like the title says.

I'm now thinking of using a Golden Motor or two for my next project. It looks almost perfect: Cheap, available in rear, 20", brushless, torquey...

But, I'm curious as to how much power the thing can take. It looks pretty weighty, so I'm betting quite a bit, but I want to know what you guys think.

The phase wires are thin, they look like 14 - 16 guage. I have not exceeded the 36volts. However I did read the mod if you put a zener 12v inline with the resistor below the voltage regulator you can run 48v.

Yeh wires are thin but the current is distributed over a lot of them, kinda like bmc I think.

I push mine rather hard albeit on a 26inch rim and not a 20. I have more than one controller with the most powerful topping out at 47amp peak the bms tends to cut out with that controller so it's not used much. I can't really complain about the golden motor it serves me well.

e=mcsquared said:
I push mine rather hard albeit on a 26inch rim and not a 20. I have more than one controller with the most powerful topping out at 47amp peak the bms tends to cut out with that controller so it's not used much. I can't really complain about the golden motor it serves me well.

How hot does it get?

I'd only be pushing like 30 or so if I got it.

Grah! It taunts me so! "Buy me! Get decent batteries later! Just deal with the crappy SLAs for a little longer!" It's making a good argument. :roll:

Anyway, I see ebikes.ca has one in the non-stock section. $100 less than if I got it off of Golden Motor's site. But if it's not a 20", I'm gonna have to find spokes, a hassle that I'd rather avoid. :?

Mathurin said:
Yeh wires are thin but the current is distributed over a lot of them, kinda like bmc I think.

On the BMC I cut off almost 3 feet of wire... The phase and hall cable off the BMC is crazy long. Now at about 200 miles on my BMC without any heating problems at all. Running at 48V with 40A controller. My cable is only about 10-12 inches max coming out of the hub. Before I cut it off it was not a good setup... the whole cable would warm up at 36V..... after the trim job.... never even gets warm.

kyakdiver

Link said:
e=mcsquared said:

How hot does it get?

I'd only be pushing like 30 or so if I got it.

Grah! It taunts me so! "Buy me! Get decent batteries later! Just deal with the crappy SLAs for a little longer!" It's making a good argument. :roll:

Anyway, I see ebikes.ca has one in the non-stock section. $100 less than if I got it off of Golden Motor's site. But if it's not a 20", I'm gonna have to find spokes, a hassle that I'd rather avoid. :?

well as for heat I wouldn't say the hub ever really got overly warm, although I have had the controller get quite hot but it was located in a bag at the time and i was climbing a hill. I've since modified the bag to allow some more ventilation and guess I will find out in the warmer months if it will work.

kyakdiver said:
Mathurin said:

On the BMC I cut off almost 3 feet of wire... The phase and hall cable off the BMC is crazy long. Now at about 200 miles on my BMC without any heating problems at all. Running at 48V with 40A controller. My cable is only about 10-12 inches max coming out of the hub. Before I cut it off it was not a good setup... the whole cable would warm up at 36V..... after the trim job.... never even gets warm.

kyakdiver

I was thinking the wire inside the motor, tho.

Back