How hot is too hot?!

neil54

100 µW
Hi all,

so I have the tongsheng TSDZ2, 48v 500w with a 48v 17.5ah battery.

I am using it to pull a kids bike trailer fairly full of watersports equipment, it probably weighs about 25kg including the trailer, I need it on the highest level of assist.

On the flat the motor is getting slightly warm but not too bad.

However if I go up a hill, or have a strong headwind, when I touch the casing it is hot, not so hot I can't touch it, probably about 40 - 50 degrees.

I appreciate there is a point at which these motors overheat but wondering what that point is, if it isn't so hot you can hold the casing without burning yourself is that OK?

My usual route is 90% flat so it only reaches that temp for about 5 mins at the end.

Any advice as to whether I am heading for a disaster or if this level of heat is OK would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Neil

The Grin motor simulator uses 150C as the point for overheating/meltdown, but that's an internal temp. Try using an IR thermometer to monitor the actual external temp to get better data to calibrate your hand. Personally I wouldn't go past too hot to touch.

neil54 said:
Hi all,

so I have the tongsheng TSDZ2, 48v 500w with a 48v 17.5ah battery.

I am using it to pull a kids bike trailer fairly full of watersports equipment, it probably weighs about 25kg including the trailer, I need it on the highest level of assist.

On the flat the motor is getting slightly warm but not too bad.

However if I go up a hill, or have a strong headwind, when I touch the casing it is hot, not so hot I can't touch it, probably about 40 - 50 degrees.

I appreciate there is a point at which these motors overheat but wondering what that point is, if it isn't so hot you can hold the casing without burning yourself is that OK?

My usual route is 90% flat so it only reaches that temp for about 5 mins at the end.

Any advice as to whether I am heading for a disaster or if this level of heat is OK would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Neil

This is Bafang Ultra, but still useful for general reference.

Taken from here: http://frey-bafang.patransformers.com/2020/06/28/bafang-ultra-max-m620-review/

Back