How many pole pairs does this motor have?

tom355

10 mW
In need to know the number of pole pairs of this 2kw motor because i want to run it with a VESC.
The hex screws seem to be glued with loctite or similar. I already ruinded one. Before i spend hours to remove these hex screws, only to count the magnets i ask here.
It`s from an early ELMOTO HR2. Any ideas?
Screenshot_20230715_114904_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230715_114851_Gallery.jpg

Almost all these types are 46 magnets, 23 pole pairs. You can check without disassembly by counting the number of pulses you see on any one of the hall sensors during one manual rotation of the wheel.

Last edited:
If you ever do need to open it:

While they might have loctited the screws, it's just as likely that the bolts have corroded in place, or galled during installation due to dissimilar metals and overtightening at the factory or a subsequent repair or modification by one of it's owners.

An impact driver would be my first choice for stuff that appears to be too tight. For already-stripped ones, you can try cutting a slot across the head to use a flatblade screwdriver tip, this also gives higher torque on the head that might loosen it, but it may also just snap the head off.

If it's just loctite, a heatgun on each one in turn just before loosening may help, but depending on the loctite version; the heat required for some of them can be so high it would damage the magnets.

If it's corrosion, sometimes things like PB Blaster or other "catalyst" lubricants can help, if they sit and soak long enough to get down into the threads, but some of those may also damage the glue holding the magnets in place.

In those cases where nothing loosens the bolts, it is sometimes necessary to cut the heads off the bolts, then leave the rest of the old bolts in place as alignment pins for the existing holes, and mark the covers for their rotational position relative to the rotor. Then drill new holes thru the cover edges into the rotor and tap new holes, in between each of the old bolts.

Back