How to charge my lead acid batteries

If I fully discharge them, will I still be able to charge them back up on the 2 amp setting though? Just a thought… Because the only other setting is 10A which I think is to much for them no matter what the state of charge is.

The lower the rate, the better for the battery. If you're in a hurry, alternating between 10A and 2A will be better than straight 10A. Charging is moving electrons around and too much current will make heat instead of just moving the electrons. You can't force those electrons to move faster than a certain rate.

I wouldn't intentionally do a full discharge. You can estimate how many wh/mi. your setup uses and then make ballpark assumptions about max range. If you do happen to discharge them deeply make sure to take advantage of that data point, though.

In regards to charging lead acid batteries.
Does any one have any thoughts on the effects of jump starting car-batteries has on the life of the battery?
I did a google about it and didn't find much about it hurting the battery, but I just can't get it out of my head that when you jump start a car (leaving the dead battery fully hooked up) you are effectively dumping 100s of amps into a dead battery in a second... how can that be OK for the battery?

Also practically all jump start the guides out there don't suggest anything about disconnecting the dead battery.
Its just that never heard of a battery that likes to be charged fast.

For many years the accepted wisdom for LA is to charge at the ten hour rate of the battery. Other charge rates are ok but fast charging is never good for LA especially if the battery gets hot. Never leave discharged and even sitting unused at full charge is not particularly good. Deep cycle marine batteries are best for bike use as car battery structure is to provide CCA (cold cranking amps) which is different plate structure for continuous current. If you want to leave them unused for a length of time charge them and drain the electrolyte. That is how they come from the factory.

Back