HS3540 hall sensor repair

dfar

1 W
Hello

a few weeks back My axle broke in my hs3540, when the axle broke it sliced the phase/hall wires. I replaced the axle and have hooked everything back up but the motor is acting like it has hall sensor issues (sputters and will not turn with previously sound hall/phase wire combination).

I took the voltages of the three hall sensors. the way I did this was by hooking up the positive and neg wires from the controller to the motor hall and then hooking up the voltmeter to the neg terminal of the motor hall and each individual hall sensor (yellow, green, blue)

I got the following results

yellow 2.2v (does not deviate when wheel is turned)
green 0.04v (does not deviate when wheel is turned)
blue 1.82 v (does not deviate when wheel is turned)

I'm getting 4.39v between the positive and neg from the motor

I was under the impression that the hall sensors should alternate in an "off/on" state and read as either 0v or 5v, am I correct? Since this is not the case I'm pretty sure that all the halls are blown. They must've shorted when everything was cut. I just wanted to get others opinion since I'm still learning.

Thanks

Dfar

Just found some more information so I'll have to re test the hall sensors properly.

heathyoung said:
Like others have said, just putting a voltage across the halls and checking the output wire will do nothing - the idea of a hall sensor is to short its output to ground - but to do so, there must be a voltage across its output wire (the purpose of the 10K resistor between +ve (red) and hall output (green).

The 10K resistor 'pulls up' the hall sensor output so the hall sensor can short it back down to ground.

Back