Hub Motors for Cargo Bikes

Dang, that's a bummer! I was under the impression that these were 41ah cells based on the www.hybridautocenter.com description. Looking back at the order confirmation email, I can't believe I bought these at the beginning of 2017 and still haven't ridden this bike!

Wife was gone for a three day weekend, so I spent almost the entire time in the shop! Took it for it's maiden voyage and it is fast! My guess is around 40mph, but I haven't calibrated the speedometer on the CA yet so it's just a guess. Here are some progress pics:

Battery ready to be sealed up:
View attachment 9

Sealed Battery:
image2021.jpg

Bulk Charger:
View attachment 5

Wiring:
image2004.jpg

Not much room to work with:
image2002.jpg

All this has to fit in the wiring enclosure:
image2019.jpg

This is how the rear wheel is removed....I welded the chainstay cross brace too close to the tire:
image2006.jpg

Almost done, just have to fix the hernia of wires spilling out and put a plastic cover over the back:
image2017.jpg

Attachments

• image2012.jpg
    image2012.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 637
  • image2018.jpg
    image2018.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 637
  • image2004.jpg
    image2004.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 637
Love what you did. That chain line problem is why the batteries were mounted so high in back on my custom cargo bike. The one that burned.

In highest gear, the chain would scrape slightly on the bottom of the battery tray. I should have made it a half inch higher. In front, even higher to make the battery tray long enough. You might consider modifying the top tube of that Yuba some day, to make a more front weighted compartment. Could be additional battery, or just a place to put a controller kept dry. or whatever.

Almost finished! just need to put the plastic fairing on the back to cover up the electronics, and finish the balance charger. I have a question for the electronics gurus out there:

I have two 10s chargers to hook up to the 20s battery. I thought that if I had two separate chargers on two separate power supplies, I wouldn't have to worry about electrical isolation between the two groups of 10s cells. All the cells are wired in series, and there is no break in between the two groups of 10 cells. Am I going to have to use a diode in this situation? I measured the voltage between the cable going to charger 1 + and the positive terminal on the charger and it is 80V... a little confused as to why this is??? See wiring details below for details:

View attachment 9

View attachment 8

image2003.jpg

image2004.jpg

View attachment 5

image2006.jpg

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

image2009.jpg

image2010.jpg

If I remember right, I used 3/8" stainless steel. Might even be 1/2"... 1/4" might be hard to drill the holes for the pinch bolt.

Miro: nope, didn't forget about the rain, my final task once the holidays are over is to put a fairing on the side to cover the battery/controller/wiring and 3d print some caps to to cover the charging ports on the console. After I'm done, it should be sort of water resistant, but I don't plan on riding this too much in the rain if I can help it...It'll probably be a while before I get to that though... too many irons in the fire right now!

Cheers

Back