Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

FT and Hyena, I can only propose the contest, its up to you guys to decide on the race condtions, however, I have no problems talking shit and raising a beer or two for both of you guys from the other side of the Pacific. :p

I just caught up on this thread again. I particularly like the bit about us all drinking beers again soon. :!:

Actually therein lies the issue. Most of the time I see full-throttle riding, it's in the vertical direction. I'm not sure horizontal is his bag. :twisted:

Hyena said:
full-throttle said:
Hyena said:
I've just yet to see a stock drive train powered mid drive that can beat the performace of a beefy hub.
So you are saying you haven't seen a STOCK mid drive that can beat a NON-STOCK hub?
Nope, though it depends what you call beat. Sure a mid drive might crawl up a near vertical incline that the hub won't but unless that's all you're doing I'm happy to take the trade off of a little extra weight of the hub for a more hassle and maintenance free ride.

Do you remember what happened in Melbourne, my stock GNG literally run circles around the (non-stock) Fighter you were riding :p
Yeah, non-stock in the sense that it was worse than standard with a little geared motor on there :p
But I agree even the stock fighter isn't a mountain goat. It does however deliver the best performance given the constraints of battery size and voltage with a compromise between top speed and torque. I suspect if you gave people an option of having a fighter with more end torque and less top speed most would still opt for the current configuration.

Well that's just great. Leave my Fighter out of it, it was the below average riding skills that were the real issue :p

Be careful or I will drag out a friction drive and show you both how its really done. :lol:

Heh, someone start a kickstarter campaign :lol:
Sorry ypedal, if we open it up to you northern hemisphere loonies we'll have people like drbass and liveforphysics wanting to join in. And that'll just spoil our fun :lol:

Kepler, you'll win the power:weight stakes. Though I have a little something in the works which should make for a rugged power:weight champion. Looks something like this ;)

file.php

Samd said:
I just caught up on this thread again. I particularly like the bit about us all drinking beers again soon. :!:
Indeed!

Speaking of drinking beers, I have a conference in Darwin in a month. I have the option of staying at a cheaper place 2km away from the convention centre or paying $350 extra to stay 300m down the road. If it was Melbourne I wouldnt care but walking 2km in 99% humidity and 30+ degree temps in Darwin sucks balls. I did a 1km walk last time I was there and arrived dripping wet - just from the heat and humidity.
So, what sorta folding 20" flight legal ebike do you reckon I can slap together for $350 in the next 3 weeks ? :)
I'll have to check the latest regulations but I think I can take 300 Wh or 2 x 160 Wh max as carry on luggage. So that'd be 2x 6S 5ah bricks.

heh races!

If your up for another builder in the mix I'll take you all on n blow you away with.... something :)

(n in case you are wondering I now possess enough 5-20kw gear to build some scarey shizzle)...

for a straight line Drag race style to 75 km/h... I reckon I could pop a few eyeballs if given a reason to build it.

Joe

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
I dunno Fullthrottle
Oh look it's aussie jester.
You want to join in the race too mate ? We shouldn't discriminate against people with sewing machine motor powered bikes. Mind you it is a requirement that you do have a working bike to ride. Over the last 5 years I think you've had a bike working on average for what, 2 weeks/year ? :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: I'll be in if its a straight line run... new motors ready and raring to go i believe
i sent you a clip of it, bit too large for a sewing maching dontcha think Jay :mrgreen: :p
Get themz assless chaps out buddy you will be needing them :p ah dear, if its first to 50km/hr
i wont even need second gear :lol:

KiM

N in case yer all thinking how is someone who builds legal pedelecs gonna compete...

this is what I am considering as a Mid Mount Option (courtesy NechAus)

for reference, the tiles are 190mm square (and that small bloodstain is from a person who entered my house without invite on sunday :) )

:twisted:

Joe

winkinatcha said:
for reference, the tiles are 190mm square
No reference needed - cast your browser back to August last year: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8482&hilit=ribs&start=1650#p620326 :wink:
I have a more powerful controller for it too

What else ya got ? :twisted:
:mrgreen:

Pffffffffft anyone can buy parts, this is about building bikes.

Put cha money where ya mouth is, should start a yearly comp

Personally I want that 400A rc controller with an osn a123 pack and get my GNG motor on a single stage to a nexus geared hub

It's all piss in the wind 'til the bikes are built eh?

Nothing else too special, the usual modded magic Pies, n Cohnis's n 9Cs...

Couple of 75v controllers, (lyens) Enough Lipo to sink a battle ship and a workshop full of frames, n wheels n cable ties... soon to expand (in 2 weeks) to include welding n light machineing equipment.

My own e-bike n bicycle business that I run 24/7... (no second desk job, nor "working for the man" for this little black duck ('meaning the Boss is a prick and the employee is a lazy good for nothing POS :D ))

So....

We on?

2 months time for flagfall?... I'll bring a hubby and a mid mount.

Joe

One more disrespectful comment from you t3sla and I'll start referring to you as "t....."

:twisted:

Joe

edit: which I wont actually do, 'kay... bit of a shitty thing for me to say ackshully and I apologise

Hyena said:
I've just yet to see a stock drive train powered mid drive that can beat the performace of a beefy hub. Granted the middrive will climb a steeper hill in 1st gear but for general riding I prefer the no gears convenience of a hub motor. Changing gears is a novelty for 2 minutes but then you realise you're not driving a F1 car and it's actually a PITA to accelerate from stop to top speed. That is assuming you're used to riding an ebike and not pedalling through the gears 'the old way' haha. (..)
Grabbing a fist full of throttle is like jumping into hyperspace as the twisty trail ahead of you disappears and suddenly you're about to plow into a tree that your brain has barely had time to register is even there :lol: No time for shifting gears, lean on the throttle for a second and you're back on the brakes.

That sums it up very nicely. I rode an Optibike for many years and that's exactly how it was, just like any other mid-drive. Scrub off speed for any reason, traffic, tight corner, impending collision with a wild animal etc, and you had to downshift about 5 or 6 gears to match your speed & optimum cadence to the best ratio. Not so bad with a Rohloff where you can zip through as many gears as you like without pedaling to shift - but still involved a lot of wrist movement (no pun intended) :) Start/stops were a huge PITA as you say - but it was great for climbing mountains.

Totally different riding a powerful hub on winding singletrack - twist and fly. No mid-drive can do that...yet.

I'm wondering if you ladies shouldn't go get a private chatroom to compare your hub diameters and let Hyena have his thread back.

What about a race in Albury Wodonga mid way?

winkinatcha said:
It's all piss in the wind 'til the bikes are built eh?

32239991.jpg

We on?
2 months time for flagfall?... I'll bring a hubby and a mid mount.
Sadly not, I'll have to remain all talk for now :(
I've got a garage full of parts, welder and even most of the tube to build the frame, just no time to get stuck into it.
I'm lucky if I get 1 hr a week to actually ride these days :|
I did have plans to do a small scale production run of custom frames, hub specific first then mid drive but it's proving rather difficult to get off the ground and needless to say requires a fair bit of up front moolah which I may never see back. I'm hopeful it'll still happen, just gotta wait for the planets to align.

winkinatcha said:
edit: which I wont actually do, 'kay... bit of a shitty thing for me to say ackshully and I apologise
Heh, 'view post history' 4TW (I didn't think it was that harsh btw but I'm rather desensitized to shit slinging! :p )

Samd said:
I'm wondering if you ladies shouldn't go get a private chatroom to compare your hub diameters and let Hyena have his thread back.
Yeah get out of my thread you assclowns - drive the traffic to my blog instead and rack up the hits and google rank there instead :p

What about a race in Albury Wodonga mid way?
Heh, ebike state of origin - first across the boarder wins

First across the border might get confusing for philistine....

remf said:
That sums it up very nicely. I rode an Optibike for many years and that's exactly how it was, just like any other mid-drive.
Good to hear your perspective on that remf given you're much more qualified to make the comparison than me having owned both types for years.
I thought you might develop a learning curve but it seems like the physical shifting time is hard to overcome. I love taking a powerful manual car for a fang through a twisty road but ebikes just don't have the same appeal.
Ok I'm declaring this case closed, back in your cage full throttle :p

Totally different riding a powerful hub on winding singletrack - twist and fly.
I haven't reviewed my footage yet from the weekends ride but I'm hoping it properly conveys the feeling of speed and acceleration. It was on dusk so the video quality won't be brilliant and much of the track was winding around narrow tree gaps (like the ones brought me unstuck a few weeks back!) so will look slow but when a gap opens up it really lifts.

Samd said:
First across the border might get confusing for philistine....
Philistine is no stranger to crossing boundaries when it comes to heading south.

Hyena said:
winkinatcha said:
Heh, 'view post history' 4TW (I didn't think it was that harsh btw but I'm rather desensitized to shit slinging! :p )

Kinda awkward, considering the post was more aimed at Jay (all stock and not time) and myself (all resources and no time) :shock:

I'll let it slide, but in all honestly the only one who gets a pass is FT.

That man talks 0 zero hit and is all action, my money would easily be on him :wink: Respecamundo!

As for slinging shit, you're gonna need a catapult to hit me. :twisted: :roll: :p

We move forward by raising the bar, not dragging each other under it.

What better way than some friendly competition, that's why I've started 'Pink Slips 2013'
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47844

Excellent t3sla... I had re-read what I put out as trash talk and thought "shit Joe, that's a bit harsh" but good to see I was mistaken about yer potential "sensitivity" :D

now I is off this thread n to check out yer pink slip'n

Joe

Back