Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Mate, that vid is Documentary quality right there (not talking about the vid resolution, more about your editing, your "made for commentary" bloke voice and your poster boy good looks :D)

One of my favs from you w'out a doubt...

Can I pop this up on my (frankencycle) facebook page, or would you rather keep it on the lowdown and under your own control?

Joe

rp3 said:
Got to carry some tape with you. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jE8EFrb
Dead link ?

deffx said:
I have chosen to just sacrifice the tyre and ride it flat before, bit dangerous. Especially when it's the front. Lol doesn't do the rim much good either
I've done that before, actually the last time it happened I make a vlog style video too. Seems my go-to move when I'm bored on a long walk of shame :lol:
I wasnt going to do it this time though with a brand new rim (albeit now dented)

Rix said:
MC wheel next??
I'd like to but the crown only comes with max 12ga spokes. I guess I could make or source some nipple washers to suit but that's a project for another day.

winkinatcha said:
Mate, that vid is Documentary quality right there (not talking about the vid resolution, more about your editing, your "made for commentary" bloke voice and your poster boy good looks :D)

Cheers Joe. I can do some more commentary/vlog style vids if you and others like that. As for poster boy good looks, are you sure we're both looking at the same video ? :lol:

Can I pop this up on my (frankencycle) facebook page, or would you rather keep it on the lowdown and under your own control?
Go for it mate, I'm happy for any of my vids I publicly post here to be shared.

Oh and speaking of facebook, after years of slinging kits under the hyena electric bikes and hyena industries banner I decided I should probably get with the times and create a facebook page.

There's nothing much there now but chuck me a 'like' or follow to keep up to date with my shenanigans and new stuff. I've been snowed under with my day job for the last 18 months but I'm trying to get back into ebike stuff more now so some cool new stuff will be coming soon, including an update to my website which hasn't been updated since around 2010 :lol: :oops:

http://www.facebook.com/hyenaelectricbikes

Tell all ya friends :p

haha! you social media ho!

Hey, these days on all my builds I use velcro cable ties to hold the cables onto the swingarm/stay for ease of removal/replace of hubmotor.
velcro cable tie closed.gif
velcro cable tie open.gif

I get from masters/bunnings (in rolls of 100, but I think you can get em in packs of 5 or 10) and also have seemn em in electrical supply stores. They come out in cost to about $1.00 each

I love em to bits.

Joe

Architectonic said:
By the way, what ever happened to the "batshit crazy" motor?
It's been abused and is now sitting neglected in the basement with all my other ex's. Ex motors that is :lol:
I'll have to pull it out and open it back up when I get a chance. I don't know if I smoked a winding or just did in a hall sensor. It wasn't crazy hot when it let go so it could be just a hall. So many projects, so little time...

r3volved said:
woot
I'm lucky like #3
haha, look out Beiber, I'm coming for you! :p

winkinatcha said:
haha! you social media ho!
Right that's it, the first 10 likes get a shout out in my new youtube video :p
Thanks for the tip of the velco ties. I've used them before on internal wiring and what not but figured they'd get all muddy and ratty looking for external use on an ebike. I guess they're cheaply enough replaced if you're particularly worried and as you say it makes it well worth it when you're sitting in a gutter changing a tube!

Hyena said:
rp3 said:
Got to carry some tape with you. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jE8EFrbZ8
Dead link ?

Fixed it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jE8EFrbZ8

Jay, I am #7 under "Dirk Diggs Babs" on your new faceook. You can tell its me by my avatar pic riding around with Jet. Neat that you got that going, I will follow.

Rick

haha cheers Rick, I knew it was you I was just messing around.

In other news, I can't catch a break lately.
I ducked out for an extended lunch break today, went for a spin through national park and pushed the madass through the corners a bit. Heading back to work and about 5km from my house I noticed the backend felt a bit loose exiting a bend a looking down I noticed the pressure in my rear tyre was noticably down. Uh oh...
There was no service station between my location and home so decided to head home to pump it up/inspect closer. I didnt quite make it and about 1km out it was almost completely flat and started flapping around. I stood up and leaned right over the front bars to keep the weight of the rear and cruised the last little bit at 15km/hr. Further adding to my issues earlier in the ride it suffered a weird electrical failure too. At first I thought it was a flat battery as I haven't reconnected the magneto and regulator but when I got home I the voltage was reading 13v. With the new engine I've bypassed the standard wiring loom and only use the battery to power the lights and dash so that's just as well otherwise I would have been totally stranded 30km in the middle of nowhere So that's an added complexity to have to try and bloody figure out now! I could still ride the bike but I have no blinkers or tail lights so that's a bit risky. Urggh, what else could go wrong.
Shit, why did I just say that out loud :?
The only positive is I did my provisional license test on sunday so atleast I got that out of the way before the bike decided to fall in a heap. Needless to say I breezed through the test but seeing noob riders rock up on huge 650 cruisers and wobble around hitting every cone was highly amusing. So that's it for my tests and bike inspections now and I'm free to pull the bike to pieces and start on the electric conversion if I want. The instructor at the course seemed quite interested in the electric conversion and asked if I'd bring it back up and show him again when it's all finished, so that's cool. Though I still need to sort out this other issue as I'll need the lights and blinkers etc working (via a dc-dc converter once running on high voltage)

unlucky mate. well done with the "P"s

my mate went for his a while ago. he used to race bikes at malala, the guy said go through the course and stop on the line. so he came around and literally stoped _ON_ the line, both feet . the tester didnt like his confidance and said no you crossed the line... FAIL. what a frocker!

anyway im sure we'd all love to see the carnage of the bent rim. how bad was it?

hows your fighter going? did you work out that arcing cell to chasis issue, thats gota be the first report ive read of that, any ideas to prevent re-occurance? rebber etc...

btw never leave home with out a tube and basic kit. its like going out to pick up without a franger :p

pendragon8000 said:
unlucky mate. well done with the "P"s

my mate went for his a while ago. he used to race bikes at malala, the guy said go through the course and stop on the line. so he came around and literally stoped _ON_ the line, both feet . the tester didnt like his confidance and said no you crossed the line... FAIL. what a frocker!
Cheers mate. I was actually slightly nervous at first as I've heard so many people fail it(including a guy I know who's been riding dirt bikes for years) but after seeing one of the hardest bits was accelerating up to 30 km/hr and then suddenly swerving around a marker I knew it'd be no dramas. It was funny because the instructor was telling us how to get through the cones and said to keep the revs high and just slip the clutch while on the rear brake to control the speed. I asked if we HAD to slip the clutch and were being assessed on that and he said "well if you think you can do it without slipping the clutch then be all means" Nekminnit, weaving through those cones like I was chasing a rabbit :lol:

anyway im sure we'd all love to see the carnage of the bent rim. how bad was it?
You can see the damage in the pic. I rode the bike home gently then hard the next day and it seemed fine so I'll just leave it as is. Next time I change the tube/tyre I'll try and straighten it out a bit.

hows your fighter going? did you work out that arcing cell to chasis issue, thats gota be the first report ive read of that, any ideas to prevent re-occurance? rebber etc...
Haven't had a closer look at it since, fighter is still going well and I'll be pulling it down for a full rebuild soon. I was holding off as I had 2 people interested in buying it but both ended up pulling out so I'll go ahead and start on it shortly. I'll better insulate the new pack which will solve any issues. Part of the problem was the foam I used to pad the box initially compressed or broke down over time so ended up like 1/3rd of the original thickness allowing the batteries to move around.

btw never leave home with out a tube and basic kit. its like going out to pick up without a franger :p
haha, I had that burning feeling the next day too, luckily it was just from the sun exposure :p

On another note, I'm headed to Adelaide on Friday the 4th of April if you and/or any of the other Adelaide ESers are free in the arvo for a ride. I have a conference which will keep me tied up for the whole weekend but I'm free from lunchtime until 1830 on the Friday.

Facebook update: The hyena electric bikes page is a flurry of popularity with the number of likes soon to hit double digits. Get in quick if you want the exclusive first 10 video shout out :lol:

Liked, like a likely thing...
Da usual, I like your page, pls reciprocate n like mine.
A search on frankencycle will bring it up. :D

Hyena said:
You can see the damage in the pic.
oh i missed the video... just watched, yeah nice change over. older tyres seem a bit easyer to lift on and off a rim in my experiance, new ones can be very stuborn.
Hyena said:
On another note, I'm headed to Adelaide on Friday the 4th of April if you and/or any of the other Adelaide ESers are free in the arvo for a ride. I have a conference which will keep me tied up for the whole weekend but I'm free from lunchtime until 1830 on the Friday.

yeah mate. i got 2 bikes working so you can ride like a fasion victom on the 29er haha, nah ill let you ride the 6kw monster. ill pm a couple locals and see who's keen to join. i should be able to get the arvo off so i/we dont have to rush around.

Hyena said:
I have a conference which will keep me tied up for the whole weekend

Sounds kinky!

but I'm free from lunchtime until 1830 on the Friday.

I think I was planning on having that Friday afternoon off too. Adelaide Uni hosts some great (and only $10) Lunchtime concerts at Elder Hall, the 4th is the Cello Festival concert with full orchestra...

Could meet in the city, ride down to Henley or something.

pendragon8000 said:
i got 2 bikes working so you can ride like a fasion victom on the 29er haha, nah ill let you ride the 6kw monster. ill pm a couple locals and see who's keen to join. i should be able to get the arvo off so i/we dont have to rush around.
Sweet. Thanks for the offer to borrow your wheels! I was nearly going to buy an 800w scooter I've had my eye on buy this will save lugging it down. How far are you from the CBD ? I fly in at 12 and am staying opposite the convention centre so would just need to ditch my bags so I'd be ready to roll around 12:30. I have NFI about Adelaide so I'll let you guys run with it but if there's anywhere scenic or what ever to ride we can do a quick tour around, maybe grab lunch and a beer somewhere ?

Architectonic said:
the 4th is the Cello Festival concert with full orchestra...
I'm not exactly a cello and orchestra kinda guy (unless there's some blazing electric guitar playing along with it :p ) but hey what ever

i can give you a lift in my '85 holden ute. from the air port, its basically around the corner. i order pizza from airport rd :D
and yeah straight upto convention centre no prblem.
if you like craft beer we could hit up the wheaty back near my place just outside the cbd (west) run by a few lesbians that frocking love there beer and music. then off for a ride. i think a skate park chalange may be in order for some fun video. yeah the linier park/torrens trail is pretty good, maby go over to glenelg. i like that ride. although would have to limit power to make it there and back.

map: im in the red spot. glenelg is south of the torrens mouth, its all bike path and no stoping for cars.

pendragon8000 said:
actually going through the city on the torrens is pretty good to, botanic garden and zoo. much shorter and more stuff to do, pubs etc. either way is pretty good.

can you actually ride through the Botanic gardens now? thought they were off limits to bikers...

pub for a palmy and brew sounds like a champion idea.

Architectonic said:
Bit to high-brow for you? More of a Mr. Krinkle man eh?
haha. I haven't heard Mr Kringle in years! I was more thinking along the lines of the sound track from my 2012 year in review video
[youtube]qJF7L0Xs82s[/youtube]

That reminds me I never got around to doing one this year. So little time...

I wouldn't say I'm low brow, maybe just not high society enough :p

sn0wchyld said:
can you actually ride through the Botanic gardens now? thought they were off limits to bikers...
What do they ride that's faster than our ebikes :twisted:

pub for a palmy and brew sounds like a champion idea.
agreed!

Rix said:
Rides, Ebikes, and Craft Beer, you guys are fuqn killing me!!

Sorry buddy. If it's any consolation it's not a patch on Yosemite :wink:

Also apologies for this photo, for the bike is not (yet ) electric powered

madassery.jpeg

Rix wrote: MC wheel next??

I'd like to but the crown only comes with max 12ga spokes. I guess I could make or source some nipple washers to suit but that's a project for another day.

Looks like these should fit. Available as straight pulls @ http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-Custom-Moped-Spokes.html

Max spoke length 245mm
Min spoke length 65mm

Nipple body is 6mm diameter, nipple head is 9.44mm diameter
Nipple length is 16mm
Nipple uses 5mm wrench

Spoke diameter at Hub side is 2.9mm
Spoke diameter at Thread side is 2.6mm
Spoke head diameter is 5.75mm

All you need now is a RIM.

Thanks for the welcome Hyena.

Back