• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I need helping finding a throttle for sabvoton controller

Hi, I'm going to be ordering a sabvoton 72150 controller and the diagram for it shows a 3 wire throttle connection. I'm not sure it it matters what throttle I buy or is there a specific one I should get? If any of you know of one off aliexpress that would work with it that would be great. This is the controller I will be getting for reference and this a a throttle I found online that has a 3 wired connection. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001278363332.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.459e3c00fSMSMw&mp=1 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035565504.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.459e3c00fSMSMw&mp=1

Eastwood said:
Yeah its the standard 3 wire throttle. Ground wire, signal wire, 5volt wire. So any throttle with three wires will work.
Have you considered a thumb throttle? I see the link it’s an actual twist throttle.

Awesome thanks. I wasn't thinking of having a thumb throttle, do you think it would be worth having that over a twist throttle?

UniversalModder said:
Eastwood said:
Yeah its the standard 3 wire throttle. Ground wire, signal wire, 5volt wire. So any throttle with three wires will work.
Have you considered a thumb throttle? I see the link it’s an actual twist throttle.

Awesome thanks. I wasn't thinking of having a thumb throttle, do you think it would be worth having that over a twist throttle?

I prefer the thumb throttle over the twist for several reasons but primarily it’s just more comfortable. With off-road use I found the thumb throttle more beneficial because I don’t accidentally roll my wrist over bumpy terrain making the bike jumpy. I feel like I have more control over the throttle with my thumb vs the twist throttle.

Some people use 2 throttles one on each side. Gives you the option to rest one hand. Technically I have 2 throttles but one of my throttles is for ebreak/regen.

With these cheap Hall sensor throttles typically order at least two and use the smoothest one. You could always keep a spare throttle with you in case it fails because they’re so cheaply made.

Also a sidenote if you haven’t ordered your controller yet I would recommend you getting the 200 amp or the 200 amp unlocked because they can handle more power even though you won’t be using it. Your controller will run much cooler and more efficient.
I have the sabvoton 200a unlocked and never really go past 160amps but it’s there if needed for drag racing :wink:
The controller doesn’t even get warm at 160 A. the 200a unlock has 30 MOSFETs.

Eastwood said:
UniversalModder said:
Eastwood said:

I prefer the thumb throttle over the twist for several reasons but primarily it’s just more comfortable. With off-road use I found the thumb throttle more beneficial because I don’t accidentally roll my wrist over bumpy terrain making the bike jumpy. I feel like I have more control over the throttle with my thumb vs the twist throttle.

Some people use 2 throttles one on each side. Gives you the option to rest one hand. Technically I have 2 throttles but one of my throttles is for ebreak/regen.

With these cheap Hall sensor throttles typically order at least two and use the smoothest one. You could always keep a spare throttle with you in case it fails because they’re so cheaply made.

That's a good idea. I might go with doing that I was thinking about having a 2nd throttle for the regen/ebrake. Maybe 2 thumb throttles like your setup.

I haven't ordered my controller just yet. Do you happen to have a link to the unlocked controller so I can take a look at it? Thanks

Edit: Do you also have a link to the thumb throttle that you used for your ebrake/regen and normal throttle?

UniversalModder said:
I haven't ordered my controller just yet. Do you happen to have a link to the unlocked controller so I can take a look at it? Thanks

Edit: Do you also have a link to the thumb throttle that you used for your ebrake/regen and normal throttle?

Yeah I’ll post links below. With this 200a unlocked you get the throttle regen connection. also it comes with a reverse, Super useful with heavy Ebikes.

Here’s the link to the controller,
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msshH8g

Throttle link,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KK145CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_V1TVC26A16RB5M48QJP3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

UniversalModder said:
That's a good idea. I might go with doing that I was thinking about having a 2nd throttle for the regen/ebrake. Maybe 2 thumb throttles like your setup.
You should try different throttles before finalizing your choice, since throttles are a personal preference. I'm assuming you've at least tried a thumb throttle before.
My preference, in order, is half twist, lever, full twist, thumb. Half twist allows three fingers on the stationary part of the grip for offroad, and the stationary grip allow very fine adjustment of the throttle with the forefinger and thumb, even with a cheap hall based throttle. Takes practice though. But it still comes down to preference.
Once you get used to a throttle type that works for you, you just need to practice with it. I do almost all of my riding throttle only (slide regen mode), throttle, braking, PAS. Helps a lot off road, only dealing with a single control, and use the brakes only for steep descents.
The lever throttle was pretty nice after modifying it a little. I reduced the spring tension making it easier on my thumb, and heated up the lever and changed the angle to work better for my setup. I might have used it longer, but it started acting up, so went back to my half twist.

Eastwood said:
UniversalModder said:

Yeah I’ll post links below. With this 200a unlocked you get the throttle regen connection. also it comes with a reverse, Super useful with heavy Ebikes.

Here’s the link to the controller,
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msshH8g

Throttle link,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KK145CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_V1TVC26A16RB5M48QJP3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome thanks. I think I'm going to go with the 72200 its only $150 more then the 72150 and might as well have that extra headroom and better cooling. I'll give the thumb throttle a try also. Thanks again.

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:
You should try different throttles before finalizing your choice, since throttles are a personal preference. I'm assuming you've at least tried a thumb throttle before.
My preference, in order, is half twist, lever, full twist, thumb. Half twist allows three fingers on the stationary part of the grip for offroad, and the stationary grip allow very fine adjustment of the throttle with the forefinger and thumb, even with a cheap hall based throttle. Takes practice though. But it still comes down to preference.
Once you get used to a throttle type that works for you, you just need to practice with it. I do almost all of my riding throttle only (slide regen mode), throttle, braking, PAS. Helps a lot off road, only dealing with a single control, and use the brakes only for steep descents.
The lever throttle was pretty nice after modifying it a little. I reduced the spring tension making it easier on my thumb, and heated up the lever and changed the angle to work better for my setup. I might have used it longer, but it started acting up, so went back to my half twist.

You have a good point there, on my current bike I have a full twist throttle and I'm pretty used to that. I'll probably buy a extra full twist throttle and a half twist throttle incase the thumb throttle isn't for me.

UniversalModder said:
You have a good point there, on my current bike I have a full twist throttle and I'm pretty used to that. I'll probably buy a extra full twist throttle and a half twist throttle incase the thumb throttle isn't for me.

A lot of the guidance on the forum suggests that having spare throttles on hand is wise. Plus you could harvest the parts/hall sensors in case you want to build in the regen control into your brake lever, etc. at some point.

UniversalModder said:
Awesome thanks. I think I'm going to go with the 72200 its only $150 more then the 72150 and might as well have that extra headroom and better cooling. I'll give the thumb throttle a try also. Thanks again.

Also note with this 200a unlocked there’s no display function besides a hall sensor. The ignition is simple just connect the ignition to a ground wire and put an on/off switch between. same for the reverse but use a momentary button for safety.

Also note there’s no pedal assist connection. Your throttle is your pedal assist 8) The seller recommends max 550phase and 250DC amps. Technically you could put it any number you want “unlocked” but that’s the maximum recommended power setting.

UniversalModder said:
I'll give the thumb throttle a try also. Thanks again.

Yeah it’s interesting with the thumb throttle with Electric. You could change it up and use one way for about a week and then switch it up to figure out which way you like best. I think everybody’s posture and hand position is shaped differently so the thumb throttle might feel comfortable for some while a full twist for others. It’s weird in my situation because I grew up riding dirt bikes and motorcycles but with ebikes it just feels right with a thumb throttle.

I meant to send you this link for the throttle even though that other one will work too. But with this one you can see your battery voltage and it’s your ignition. Actually that first link is the one I use for the regen. Then this link is the one I use for my actual throttle which has ignition and battery voltage. So you could consider getting both if you go with that controller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YPQLMR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_9906EQGV075Z27RPPBKG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:

Plus you could harvest the parts/hall sensors in case you want to build in the regen control into your brake lever, etc. at some point.

I still need to try that one day. Seems like it would be more convenient to have the regen on the break lever and one less control on the handlebars.

Do you use an on/off switch for the regen on the brake lever so you can bypass it or maybe you just keep it on always?

Eastwood said:
UniversalModder said:

Also note with this 200a unlocked there’s no display function besides a hall sensor. The ignition is simple just connect the ignition to a ground wire and put an on/off switch between. same for the reverse but use a momentary button for safety.

Also note there’s no pedal assist connection. Your throttle is your pedal assist 8) The seller recommends max 550phase and 250DC amps. Technically you could put it any number you want “unlocked” but that’s the maximum recommended power setting.

UniversalModder said:
I'll give the thumb throttle a try also. Thanks again.

Yeah it’s interesting with the thumb throttle with Electric. You could change it up and use one way for about a week and then switch it up to figure out which way you like best. I think everybody’s posture and hand position is shaped differently so the thumb throttle might feel comfortable for some while a full twist for others. It’s weird in my situation because I grew up riding dirt bikes and motorcycles but with ebikes it just feels right with a thumb throttle.

I'm fine with no display. I was thinking of having my phone setup with a GPS speedometer app on screen and my bms app open at the same to be able to monitor both. Thanks for letting me know the details about the controller also.

Yeah the throttle is hard to tell what is good for everybody since everyone is different.

Eastwood said:
I meant to send you this link for the throttle even though that other one will work too. But with this one you can see your battery voltage and it’s your ignition. Actually that first link is the one I use for the regen. Then this link is the one I use for my actual throttle which has ignition and battery voltage. So you could consider getting both if you go with that controller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YPQLMR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_9906EQGV075Z27RPPBKG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sweet even better. I'll give this one a go instead, then I can have my battery connector be where the ignition key was going to be on my frame.

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:

A lot of the guidance on the forum suggests that having spare throttles on hand is wise. Plus you could harvest the parts/hall sensors in case you want to build in the regen control into your brake lever, etc. at some point.

Yeah that is a really good idea. That's a good idea too, maybe one day I'll have to give that a shot.

Back