I think my scooter lead acid batteries died, I want to go with Lithium

I did a full charge then rode about 10 minutes to get the batteries under load, then checked each battery with a multimeter to get the voltage of each. Bad one/s will drop off quite a bit more than the rest after being under load. I also picked up a cheap $20 digital battery tester later from Ali-express which confirmed the one that needed replacement as when I tested the one I changed out it showed "replace".

My bike has a similar setup to you (37a 72v controller and same 20ah batteries). Most in my area replace with a 72v 20ah or 30ah lithium for my style of bike (Honda Grom clone).
what's the price of 72v 20ah lithium? I saw this site but I cannot afford that, I was expecting $600 tops

Here's a battery they have on sale
What scares me it's looks like it's too cheap to be good. 389.00.?

Here's a battery they have on sale
What scares me it's looks like it's too cheap to be good. 389.00.?

$320/kWh plus shipping for a pack that lacks any real packaging doesn't seem especially cheap to me. I would take a second life automotive or data center module over that stuff pretty much every time. And it would outlast and outperform the shady shrink wrapped Chinese pack almost every time, too.

The hard part is this guy is in Venezuela.
I don't know what kind of surplus batteries he could find.
Maybe those modules as he has some room being a scooter.
Yes I think the best way is use automotive battery because it's put together right I hate to have to put $400 for 60 volt 20 ah battery wait a month and a half or two and it only lasts for a month or two.
The only reason I would occupy it if I had to because they have a USA Warehouse.
A lot of manufacturers have had problems Luna, pedico, and those hoverboards ect.
Every South American country is different what type of import tax do you have ?

what's the price of 72v 20ah lithium? I saw this site but I cannot afford that, I was expecting $600 tops
Yeah, that $1200cdn battery ($884usd) is probably about the going rate for 72v 20ah lithium from a North American dealer The one you linked is from Canada and they are a good dealer. If you want to go alot cheaper then your options are amazon or ali-express etc. There all coming from China anyway, even the $1200cdn one you linked, but just make sure you deal with a seller that has a good warranty and/or one that some others have used and can recommend. Or find a local custom battery builder.

Cheapest option if you can't afford yet is lead acid which would be about $300-$350 usd for 6 replacement batteries of the same type or find the bad batteries and replace them for now until you can afford lithium.

The hard part is this guy is in Venezuela.
I don't know what kind of surplus batteries he could find.
Maybe those modules as he has some room being a scooter.
Yes I think the best way is use automotive battery because it's put together right I hate to have to put $400 for 60 volt 20 ah battery wait a month and a half or two and it only lasts for a month or two.
The only reason I would occupy it if I had to because they have a USA Warehouse.
A lot of manufacturers have had problems Luna, pedico, and those hoverboards ect.
Every South American country is different what type of import tax do you have ?
No tax at all if it's a single piece, the cubic feet cost $29 using a fregith forwarder, it'll take like 2 months to arrive.

Yeah, that $1200cdn battery ($884usd) is probably about the going rate for 72v 20ah lithium from a North American dealer The one you linked is from Canada and they are a good dealer. If you want to go alot cheaper then your options are amazon or ali-express etc. There all coming from China anyway, even the $1200cdn one you linked, but just make sure you deal with a seller that has a good warranty and/or one that some others have used and can recommend. Or find a local custom battery builder.

Cheapest option if you can't afford yet is lead acid which would be about $300-$350 usd for 6 replacement batteries of the same type or find the bad batteries and replace them for now until you can afford lithium.
I'm used to not having a warranty, the shipping costs to ship back to the US are astronomical.

One thing you can have a jar with a small neck. And each night empty your change into that jar plus try to put a buck or two and you'll be surprised how fast you can get some money set aside just that extra $1 in changing your pocket.
Something like these modules you can wire them together and they're automotive grade so no funky s*** there's a couple articles here on Endless-Sphere that would tell you how to wire them up into a battery they'll work because you have a big battery box for a scooter. Does Venezuela have any electric cars when they get wrecked or something happens you can buy them modules out of them.

Plus you can use automotive surplus batteries.

Last edited:
I would go with lithium. less weight and greater range.

Back