I want to build a cyclone powered bike

mike662

10 W
Hello everyone! Last year I decided to buy a Golden Motor 1000W rear hub motor kit. My goal was to build a bike that was fast and stealthy (not able to tell it's electric). So far the bike has served me well, but my concern is that since the dropouts are aluminum, I won't go past half throttle and even then I'm worried that one day my wheel will suddenly fall off. Now I don't care so much about stealth and I would like to convert to a chain-driven motor, such as the Cyclone. I have browsed around for hours online, trying to find information but I have found little that helped me understand what I need to make this project work. So I was wondering if anyone here could help me out a little to understand what I will need to make this all work. Here are my questions:

1) Will my 48V 12ah lithium battery from Golden Motors work well with the 1200W motor from Cyclone, or will it be under or over powered?
2) What is the difference between the one, two and three chainwheel kits found on cyclone-tw.com?
3) I have attached photos of my bike. Do you see any problems with mounting the motor or anything else?
4) Anything else that I should be aware of in installing the motor and crank and stuff? I see a lot being written about alignment, cadence, etc., but I do not know what this all means. Can anyone explain?

Thanks so much in advance. I know I'm asking a lot but I really don't know that much, even after trying to search through the forums.

Mike

IMGP0221.JPG

IMGP0220.JPG

IMGP0222.JPG

IMGP0224.JPG

IMGP0225.JPG

IMGP0226.JPG

If you're afraid to use the full potential of the motor you have then there's no point in getting a more powerful motor.

The wheel isn't just gonna fall off once you get to full speed - it's more likely to happen pulling off the line or if you hit a ridiculous pothole. I wouldn't worry about it though...give it a go at full throttle and then decide whether or not you want more power.

If. You are planning a cyclone build, may I suggest you give me a little more time and I will have my kit up and running ready to take orders. I have been testing it a bit today and the power and efficiency are both there, I just need time to finalize the design and order in kit parts! I will be the same or less price I think and with far more power potential!

Mike ... Thats a pretty nice set up you have now .. How about puting on some good turque arms ,and keep it as is ... You'll have a lot less noise , and a lot less trouble ... Unless of course you like to experiment , and get your hands dirty.. :) Bill

Do you mean 48 v 12ah lifepo4 pack? If so, then you would have to find a very low amp controller. My experience and guess is that the BMS will cut out the battery if controller and lifepo4 pack are incompatible.
Power-wise, 48v lithium should be enough to do about 30 mph. I hit just over 30 on my Aotema with a Lyen controller (higher amp).
If you are using a 48v 12ah lifepo4, I'll bet that the pack cuts out or never responds unless you have a very low amp controller and efficent hub.
I've also noticed that with a smaller controller, there is a slower top speed. the motor sputters because it's not getting enough juice.

Thanks for all the replies! After doing a lot more reading, I've decided that for now, getting a chain-driven system would not be worth the hassle. It seems there are a lot more issues that people have with non-hub motors than I originally thought. I might eventually install a chain-drive, but I guess I'll just look into getting some good torque arms for my current setup. The problem I've had with installing torque arms on my bike is that I don't have access to any useful machining tools, so it's very difficult to fit on any type of custom-made or universal torque arm.

Does anyone know where in Toronto/North York I could get some custom made torque arms? Or is there maybe somewhere online where I could send out a sketch and have them made?

Today I risked running the motor at full throttle while resisting wheel movement to see if anything would happen to the dropouts. After a few tests, nothing did :) I believe electric motors create maximum torque at 0 rpm, so my dropouts should have experienced the maximum torque they will ever see from the motor in my test. Can anyone verify if my thinking is correct?

Whiplash said:
If. You are planning a cyclone build, may I suggest you give me a little more time and I will have my kit up and running ready to take orders. I have been testing it a bit today and the power and efficiency are both there, I just need time to finalize the design and order in kit parts! I will be the same or less price I think and with far more power potential!

Is this a kit you have designed yourself entirely? Sounds pretty cool. Do you have a link to a thread about it?

Thanks all!

Maybe you can find someone in a local machine shop. It's possible to use a wrench(with hose clamps) as a torque arm. The only issue is that you would have to weld down or close the open end so that the wrench doesn't slip out. make sure it is a tight fitting wrench. Most of the hub axles go 10 mm square or 12 mm square.

Back