Cyclone 1680W Motor Kit $749 USD

richj8990

100 W
250-1680 (k)W Kit - New Single Chainwheel Kit

Anyone try these? Yes, I know the CYC 1500W kits would be about 10 times more realistic (and probably 10 times better); just looking at this Cyclone motor and wondering if it by itself would work with my particular drivetrain setup. I'm also wondering exactly how long (wide) the transverse motor is including sprocket, since in the link's example they mounted it on a 90mm bb frame. Hopefully it's not more than 130mm wide total, end to end.

These have been around for a long time and were one of the first real DIY ebike motors and fairly rugged with a steel gearbox. If you email the site owner he will likely do you a better price.

I had one that did thousands of km at 58v/52A. They need to run at high RPM or they overheat. Mine eventually cooked itself on a hot summer day after a long uphill hammering it.

They spin too fast to be able to pedal along which is an annoyance.

They wrote back and said the 'smaller' motor is 158mm transverse / wide. That's too long for my frame & pedal cranks by 10-20mm. Even a 180mm q factor has an inside pedal crank to crank measurement of only around 160mm. And the average is probably 150mm. Those pedals on the kit must be really far apart.

So I assume the motor is a pure direct drive without any reduction inside; only the outside chain reduces the RPM at all. Oh well.

Like a bbshd or cyc they have a planetary gearbox incorporated at the top of the motor. They provide a new bottom bracket and crankset that are the correct distance to clear the motor. From my experience it wasn’t noticeably wider than standard, maybe 30mm?. Have a look at the Luna site as they used to sell it as the mini

I'm looking for some feedback on this version, single chainwheel, of the cyclone. seems a good improvement over the original double chainwheel just because it has less moving parts. Wonder if some members have any pros/cons of this style?
link to the 3kw version

I'm looking for some feedback on this version, single chainwheel, of the cyclone. seems a good improvement over the original double chainwheel just because it has less moving parts. Wonder if some members have any pros/cons of this style?
link to the 3kw version
All Cyclones have a brutal and aggressive acceleration. If you like pure brute force, does not get any better than this FOR THE PRICE.

Just be sure to have at least 10 gears cassette with big cog on low gear like 48, 50 or 52T to enjoy the acceleration, have high top speed on the same package and not stress the motor

Back