If you could do it all again...

Unless like most people on this forum you intend to ride a shitty electric motorcycle that poses as an ebike, then I'd make sure it's fully usable as a bicycle.

My current ebike is worlds apart from my very first one, but it still sucks. It's a fairly recent rigid mountain bike, pretty shoddy but the only original components left on it are the headset and bb/spindle. It's fitted much like a performance hybrid would be, but as an mtb obviously it lacks the performance part.

It's got flatbars, so it allows all of one(1) body positions. Even tho it fits fairly well it gets uncomfortable on a longer ride, gets me looking for other ways to put my hands, trying to sit up or down, etc. Something like road drops, rando bars or somesuch would be a huge improvement.

It's really porky at 20kg, with no battery that is. An absolute tank to ride around, very slow uphill and actually takes effort to jump it over holes in the street and such, painful to pick up over fences or up/down the occasional stairs.

The rear motor has a knockoff regina 3 speed freewheel type thing with a mountain triple up front, the steps between each gear are xbox huge and all over the place, so it's frustrating to ride. This would be fairly easy to fix tho, use a front motor or go singlespeed.

All this limits this bike's range and usefullness quite a bit, so that it's currently a bad weather bike rather then an everyday bike.

This being said I would defo go for a small freewheeling hub motor again, after a couple years of 0 maintenance all weather everyday riding on the P2-A, including through winters, it still runs flawlessly and the freewheel's loosened up. But instead of this one I would get a bafang cause it's a whopping half kilo lighter and has better eff by virtue of being brushless.

Mathurin said:
Unless like most people on this forum you intend to ride a shitty electric motorcycle that poses as an ebike, then I'd make sure it's fully usable as a bicycle.

1238938644605.jpg

If the funds were there i woulda got an X5 5303-4 so i wouldnt have to dump and waste so much power into my current motor to get the same speeds. I would have bought a sturdier bike with disc brakes. Linear pull calipers just sucks. My GM has proven itself to be a worthy motor. The best ive currently owned. But not the best Ive rode. My friend has a 5303 on 66v dewalt packs 3p2s and he goes 43 mph leaving me in the dust on the trail. Ev envy makes you want more but im proud of my current build. It has proved itself on and off the trails and in daily commuting.

Mathurin said:
It's really porky at 20kg, with no battery that is.

This was the best I could do so far:

2 Yardworks 20V - 3.5 lbs each.
Bafang SWXH - 2.9 kg - 6.5 lb.
Infineon Controller 36V/350W - 240g - 0.5 lb.
Bike - Full Suspension - Cross Country MTB - 30 lb.
BMX Seat Post Rack for 2 batteries - 1kg - 2.2 lb.

Bike + (2 x batteries) + motor + controller + rack = 46 lbs = 21 kg.

So apart from the batteries, you're going to have a hard time doing much better.

I have an idea to loose my rack and mount the batteries where I have water bottle
frame mount holes. Saves, 2.2lbs, so I'd be down to 44 lb = 20 kg. I guess I could
look at a hardtail too, but I like the suspension.

Back