IGH that can handle a 7kw mid drive?

Is there any internally geared hubs that can handle a 80100 7kw mid drive?

Is it necessary to have an IGH if I have a 10:1 ratio planetary gearbox and Dalton OSD clutch? Or can I run a single speed cog on the rear

steven.b.watts said:

Short answer: no.

The NuVinci N171 is rated for 5kW as long as you don't exceed input torque limits. I've seen experimental vehicles that put several times that much power through an N171, but they run it at much higher than wheel RPM.

7kW is over 9hp. Why do you think any bicycle parts would be appropriate for that?

You wouldn't be the first to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, either. But it's not smart. Consider for a moment that it isn't just the rear hub of your bicycle that might have issues with 9hp.

I could build a bicycle that would be more than adequate to handle 9hp of motor power. But I'd be making a lot of it from scratch, and it wouldn't have any kind of internal gear hub.

Bicycle transmission parts especially are designed to carry forces from one or sometimes two humans. That's 200W sustained, 1000W momentary per set of pedals, give or take. If you limit yourself to the same maximum torque and chain tension values as a human rider, you can get away with substantially higher power for some time, because of the steady way an e-motor delivers power. It's hard to imagine getting to 7kW that way, though.

Chalo said:
steven.b.watts said:

Short answer: no.

The NuVinci N171 is rated for 5kW as long as you don't exceed input torque limits. I've seen experimental vehicles that put several times that much power through an N171, but they run it at much higher than wheel RPM.

7kW is over 9hp. Why do you think any bicycle parts would be appropriate for that?

You failed in the first part 80100 motor Can't out 7000watt without blow up for long so what point? you bettter start useing 3 or 4 motors

and a motobike internally geared box . You sould read up before posting it be ask been 100 of times . or You a Troll :shock:

If you're up for a fun experiment, perhaps use an IGH as a jackshaft? If an IGH is driving a 3:1 reduction to a single-speed freewheel on the rear wheel (as an example) the the IGH would theoretically see 1/3rd of the torque that it would normally experience if it had been mounted in the rear wheel.

As far as which to use, it's my understanding that the toughest IGHs are the N171 and the Sturmey SX 3-speed "fat" model, as the extra width allows the 3 gear-sets to have longer gears, with more gear-tooth physical engagement.

I believe the Sturmey is $100 unlaced, so it might be the best first attempt?

Nuvinci 171s do turn up on eBay although there aren't any today :cry: I got mine a few months ago NIB with all controls for $150, so they are out there..... Depending upon how much of a hurry you are in it might be worth it to hold off buying the rear hub until the last minute while looking for the 171: the SA hub is a stock item and is always available for immediate delivery if no Nuvincis show up.

What width are your dropouts? The SA Fatbike 3-speed and the Nuvinci are not the same.......

Through axle? If it's a through axle frame, you'll only be using a through axle hub. That simplifies your choices somewhat. But it means a gearhub can only be used as a jackshaft. And that means finding a place to put it. The hub itself must clear the cranks and your legs, and the chain from hub to wheel must clear the bike's rear stays.

Grabbed a Nexus Inter-3 IGH for a heck of a deal. We'll see how long she holds up. I still don't understand the concept of putting a hub in place of my jackshaft.. Running two cogs on one side and one on the other? And there much wider than my jackshaft, not sure how I would mount it. Would look weird too, with all those spoke holes

Back