• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I'm missing something very basic here

Jethro56

100 W
I'm wiring my battery box and before I connected the batteries in series i checked the potential between then I got a reading of ~24V. If I connect I have a dead short. What am I missing here?

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

All the Red leads for the left bank go to the left buss bar
All the black leads for the right bank go to the right buss bar

Yes That was my plan. I just can't see why I'm showing voltage between the left negitive and the right positive.

I checked all 48 cells and they were all ~4.13

I think what I'll do it get a 1amp inline fuse and connect the two leads that are reading voltage thru it as a test. if it doesn't blow I'll be Ok. Have to go to store. Will post results later. An open circuit should measure 0 volts and that's what I expected. Sometimes I miss my Wiggy as a high resistance tester can give weird results.

I figured it out. The plywood was conducting electricity. When I removed one of the bus bars from the plywood the voltage dropped to zero.

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a insulated terminal strip to mount in the box.

You might consider using a polymer material instead of wood, perhaps a small cutting board raided form the kitchen or purchased from the house wares section of you favorite mass retailer : )

I suppose the conditions could exist given a sufficiently high voltage & some road salt saturated rain water on the wood to cause an uncontrolled plasma display within you battery compartment...
zzzzzt.jpg

Back