Interbike 2015, Las Vegas, Sept 14-18

DAND214 said:
Marin said:
good article thanks
I liked it too :mrgreen:
Dan

Me Three! :D

From your report so far "... see what the off-road bicycles and ebikes can really do."

Ya know. I've been an "outdoorsy" kinda guy (and sailor) all my life, but basically just Joe Urban as far as "off-road" goes. So lots of more-or-less "flat" on (more-or-less) "smooth" pavements. And by all reports as Earths population increases more and more, for many "off road" is becoming just a pipe dream (amusing expression!)

So for example a "fat bike" w/wider tires is a major plus not for sandy beaches but more for snow and ice and slush - the Canadian in me - but especially more for streetcar tracks. :)

Otherwise? Carry On Sir! Full Speed Ahead!

PS. Re "The three biggest bicycle conventions each year"? Maybe file under "Ones to watch" is the annual Recumbent Cycle Trade Show and Convention? This year the Fourth Annual Recumbent Cycle-Con was held September 25, 26, 27, at the Sharonville Convention Center near Cincinnati, Ohio.

Signed - A recent Convert. :wink:

EDIT: Oooops. Seen elsewhere "Chicagoland Unconventional Bicycle Expo - CUBE". So, on ES, any "List of Bike Shows" yet? :)

recent convert,

I have been an adult cyclist since the late 1960's. I have built/modified/ridden recumbents, along with my uprights, since the 1980's. The pluses outweighed the minuses everywhere but climbing, and I live for hills. After 30 years of trying everything, electric drive finally became practical. The perfect vehicle is now a reality. Recumbents and electric drive go together like peanut butter and jelly. :)

nice summary :) thank you Ron

Recumbents? I have considered a recumbent tadpole trike in my future, but after much debate with myself (scanning and comparing all the great info collected here on ES), I would prefer an electric-assist 2-wheeled semi-recumbent...when I arrive at the time in my life where I need more back support. I am told that it will be easy to tell when I reach that age, because my body will just naturally begin to develop a gray ponytail, and I will experience an uncontrollable urge to build a custom front fairing and tail-sock.

E-recumbents with a fairing rule, TdF wanna-be's drool.

spinningmagnets said:
I am told that it will be easy to tell when I reach that age, because my body will just naturally begin to develop a gray ponytail, and I will experience an uncontrollable urge to build a custom front fairing and tail-sock.

I understand that there are restrictions on sales of recumbents to buyers without beards.

The aero drag of beards are one of the main reasons for switching to a fairing. Here I am in "winter mode"...(*small children nearby point at me and begin to cry in horror)

Has $10,000 E-recumbent...people give you free coffee and ask if you are homeless.

file.php

That's definitely a 'bent beard.

spinningmagnets,

"Has $10,000 E-recumbent...people give you free coffee and ask if you are homeless."

Yup. Back in May I was 45 miles into an 84 mile bike ride, when I rolled into the small strip mall of a struggling Appalachian town. Across from the Sheetz was a small stand selling fancy coffee, and fruit smoothies. I got a small lemon smoothie and settled in on the grass, in the shade of the mall marquee.

Several minutes later a twenty year old Corolla, with weak springs and bad shocks, came tacking across the parking lot, headed for the Sheetz. A heavy set woman of indeterminate age was driving. Four young people in their teens or twenties filled the car. Over the blaring music, I heard someone say, "Hey look! Stop!" The car swerved in my direction, and stopped. From the front passenger seat emerged a giant who could have been mistaken for Queequeg (ear discs, jagged geometric tattoos covering every inch from his close cropped hair down his face, his sleeveless arms the size of my thighs, and massive legs below his baggy shorts) were it not for his milky complexion and reddish blond hair suggesting his people came to these mountains during the Great Hunger.

As he approached I was thinking, "I'm going to get beaten to death by a redneck crackhead." Looking up from my seat on the grass I see him reaching into his pocket...this can't be good. "Hey dude. You need some money?" "What?" "You homeless? Need some money?" "I'm not homeless. I'm retired! You assume anybody on a bicycle is homeless? Put away your money, and get back in your car!" "Hey dude, I was just trying to help. Don't need to be a smart ass!" As he got back in the car, and they drove away, the blood stopped roaring in my ears. :-(

Once, on my day off...I decided to deposit my paycheck and my wifes paycheck to the bank (back when we got paper checks that had to be physically put into an ATM). Both checks were for 2-weeks work, so I had over $2,000 in checks on me.

Instead of driving the car twenty blocks, the weather was nice so I decided to get some exercise that beautiful Saturday morning by riding my bicycle to the bank, wearing my beard and baggy shorts + T-shirt, etc. I hit the drive-through with my bicycle at the local coffee hut, but when I went to pay at the window, the barrista told me that the kind lady in the car in front of me had paid in advance for my coffee...while I was carrying over $2,000. It was very amusing to me, and it was my first experience of having someone assume I was homeless.

After all, if I had a job, why would I be riding a bicycle, right?

Wasn't able to attend Interbike this year, but Ron more than made up for it with his article in electricbike.com. Thanks.

Back