Is there much market for a used BBSHD with very large 52v EM3EV triangle pack?

kiltedcelt

100 W
Just that quick question basically. I'm contemplating getting the TSDZ2B to use with my new smaller EM3EV Super Shark 52v battery - mainly for torque sensing, lower wattage, and lower gross weight of motor. I'm using the BBSHD on a tadpole trike now and it's really kind of overkill. Originally bought it for a cargo bike and didn't really use that cargo bike that much. Not a whole lot of time on the BBSHD or the big triangle pack battery, just pretty much overkill for the trike these days. If I get the TSDZ2B I'd be selling the BBSHD with display, battery and a bunch of cables. Just kind of wondering if there's much market for that, especially since the BBSHD is now discontinued, right? Thoughts? I have some concerns about the TSDZ2B playing nice with my 52v battery (getting full voltage displayed and being able to use full capacity of the battery), as one site indicates the display won't show full charge or allow the motor to make full use of the full 52v battery charge. That doesn't seem up-to-date though, especially with the most up-to-date full color display which I imagine would show the full charge of the battery, not to mention the open source firmware for the TSDZ2. I have to confess I have NOT delved into the now 400-post-long thread about the TSDZ2 yet. That's kind of daunting. Basically I want torque sensing, greater efficiency of motor so I get more range from my pedaling, and lighter weight, and better-feeling pedal assist. Thoughts?

I recommend looking around first at the various TSDZ2 troubleshooting / problem / broken stuff threads, so you get an idea of what you are in for maintenenance-wise.

It has a few well-known serious flaws, one of which is a design issue with the spindle itself, where a circlip groove to secure a bearing has been placed exactly where it will see continous rotational stress; thus it's broken off right there for multiple people. I don't recall if TS has ever fixed the problem, but I think some of the people from TS quit and started their own company (Toseven?) to make a better version of the drive. There's a thread about that one, too.

There are open-source firmwares for the TSDZ2 allowing customization of it beyond the OEM FW, but you have to get the right hardware version for that; and there is a big thread for that, too. :)

This issue mainly presents on the version for wider BBs. Not saying you can't break it on a 68/73... but I never have and I am a strong 190 pound cyclist. As for the other issues, mainly forum obverblow, IMO. My TSDZ2s have been very reliable. Of course, YMMV. For the cost they are worth a try. One thing... the cooling mods are essential if you intend to run them hard. One vendor in the US, Eco-Cycles Nashville, sells them with that and OSF pre-installed.

Edit: Because of the axle design I would not recommend a TSDZ2 as an e-mtb where you would be catching air and landing out of the saddle... unless maybe you are a very light. Otherwise it is fine for normal pedaling forces. IMO. Unless you get a defective one.

As for the toque sensor, it works really well and seamless. Better than the torque sensors on CYC (older versions... I am not sure about current gen 3 offerings. I have a Photon on order but haven't tried it yet), for instance. With OSF especially it is very much like natural pedaling, only amplified. The OEM TSDZ2 firmware was pretty good that way, too IIRC but that was awhile ago since I switched to OSF.

I

It has a few well-known serious flaws, one of which is a design issue with the spindle itself, where a circlip groove to secure a bearing has been placed exactly where it will see continous rotational stress; thus it's broken off right there for multiple people. :)

Last edited:
Just that quick question basically. I'm contemplating getting the TSDZ2B to use with my new smaller EM3EV Super Shark 52v battery - mainly for torque sensing, lower wattage, and lower gross weight of motor. I'm using the BBSHD on a tadpole trike now and it's really kind of overkill. Originally bought it for a cargo bike and didn't really use that cargo bike that much. Not a whole lot of time on the BBSHD or the big triangle pack battery, just pretty much overkill for the trike these days. If I get the TSDZ2B I'd be selling the BBSHD with display, battery and a bunch of cables. Just kind of wondering if there's much market for that, especially since the BBSHD is now discontinued, right? Thoughts? I have some concerns about the TSDZ2B playing nice with my 52v battery (getting full voltage displayed and being able to use full capacity of the battery), as one site indicates the display won't show full charge or allow the motor to make full use of the full 52v battery charge. That doesn't seem up-to-date though, especially with the most up-to-date full color display which I imagine would show the full charge of the battery, not to mention the open source firmware for the TSDZ2. I have to confess I have NOT delved into the now 400-post-long thread about the TSDZ2 yet. That's kind of daunting. Basically I want torque sensing, greater efficiency of motor so I get more range from my pedaling, and lighter weight, and better-feeling pedal assist. Thoughts?
A couple minor quibbles - AFAIK, the BBSHD is still in production, and parts are still a-plenty. Also, if the relatively fresh triangle battery you're considering selling is the em3ev 52-volt 28-30AH battery (with a 60AH BMS), I personally wouldn't lowball the asking price on it. Yep, both are heavy in weight and heavy-duty, and great for applications like a fast commuter.

IMHO and all that.

Last edited:
@kiltedcelt did you end up listing / selling the BBSHD and battery?I
I have not. I bought a TSDZ2B with OSF loaded that I'll be installing on my new TerraTrike All Terrain. For now I'm keeping the BBSHD and will also be keeping the big EM3ev triangle pack battery. The BBSHD will get swapped over to my wife's Trident Spike trike (same make/model of trike I've been using it on), but I may get a programming cable and trying playing with the settings to de-tune it a bit.

Back