Is this $1500 cad ebike a good buy?

I am looking at this fat ebike: http://www.daymak.com/pages/classic/wildgoose.php for $1500 CAD locally (no shipping as its a local store, and in theory warranty support locally).

Key specs:
[*]Motor: 500W Hybrid Pie Brushless Hub Motor
[*]Battery: 48V 10AH Lithium, Lithium Ion Polymer, 800 charges
[*]Brakes: Hydraulic front and back disc brakes
[*]Tire size: 26" x 4"
[*]Gauges: Battery level, speedometer, odometer, 6 speed pedal-assist mode, 7 speed Shimano torney Gearing system

I even figure if I build one myself, the 48v 10AH battery alone will cost me about $700 CAD. With a powerful motor like the FATBIKE Magic Pie 5 (VECTOR) cost me over $700. I am at $1400 + shipping, and havent factored the cost of a bike, hud/display, pedal assist, battery mount, etc.

First question: Is this $1500 a good buy?

Second question that might be harder to answer: In the future I might want to swap out the motor for the magic pie 5, would this be a headache? Id imagine (aka hope) I could just plug in the battery, display and rest of wires and it would work (or should I expect to have to buy new specific wires for it)?

edit: Full review here: https://electricbikereview.com/daymak/wild-goose/

Similar bikes do tend to be priced higher. 2000-2500 usd. The sondors aint similar.

The BIG advantage of a kit, is you put it on a bike that suits you. So make sure that bike fits your body, before you pop for it.

Looks interesting. I either like or see no objection to every part of it except the brakes and tires. Cheap hydraulic brakes are worse than nothing. Real hydraulic brakes would add $300 to the cost of the bike. I wouldn't trust those to be a very good set, not on a super cheap $1500 bike.

The tires appear to be Kenda Juggernauts. Despite the name, Juggernauts are a super light weight fat tire. While I think they are an awesome tire, their thin wall and tiny tread block design would be over matched against the power and weight of an ebike. The tread pattern is similar to the Surly Endomorph, the tire that started the whole Fatbike craze... and is now discontinued, for good reason. Endomorphs were very good and efficient in dry hard conditions, but were a handful in the wet and lose. they were also really bad at higher tire pressures, but at the low pressure they needed to work well, an ebike could unseat the bead in a corner. Expect to be buying new tires very soon after buying the bike.

Is that 40 kg weight correct; if so, lots heavier than necessary. Also, make sure there's at least a one year warranty on the battery. That's where they can really save money.

dogman dan said:
The BIG advantage of a kit, is you put it on a bike that suits you. So make sure that bike fits your body, before you pop for it.
Yeah, but it's also more work. And im really not sure what bike to buy anyway. It's what I wanted to do for a long time, but I figure buying one is easier for my first ebike.

Drunkskunk said:
Looks interesting. I either like or see no objection to every part of it except the brakes and tires. Cheap hydraulic brakes are worse than nothing. Real hydraulic brakes would add $300 to the cost of the bike. I wouldn't trust those to be a very good set, not on a super cheap $1500 bike.
Well, I figure I got the warranty. And worse comes to worse, I should be able to install non hydraulic breaks. I am also used to only have one break on my bikes.

2old said:
Is that 40 kg weight correct; if so, lots heavier than necessary. Also, make sure there's at least a one year warranty on the battery. That's where they can really save money.

It's listed as 40 kg there, but 31 kg on the review site. Either way, I understand its a heavy bike, I should be able to handle it. As for the battery, im not sure. Ive been told 1 year by the reseller, but daymak has it listed as 6 months. What usually goes wrong the battery, just stops working?

I am thinking of going down tomorrow to try it, and if it feels right, buying it. It is usually $2000 CAD, but I am able to get it at the $1500 sale price.

There you go, I did not know you could get a test ride on it. If it fits you, you can buy it and make upgrades later, like the brakes, and replace the tires with better ones later.

Personally, I was totally un impressed with the fat bike. Not for hard dirt anyway. But great for a beach I'm sure.

31 kg is in the correct range for an e-fatbike, so that's fine. Cheap batteries (FME) develop problems, sometimes not discernible without taking them apart (not for me). If they don't list the cell manufacturer, guess what. Still a good deal and if you have a one year warranty that you trust will be honored.

Back