Is this a good start for a DIY kit? N00B question.

Desired max speed: 30 MPH under hard pedaling
Desired range: 40 mi @ 20 MPH
Donor bike: Hard Tail DiamondBack
Desired bike weight after conversion < 45 lbs
Desired brake type: Mechanical Disc
Rider weight: 185 lbs
Terrain: Flat. Just couple of tiny hills about 3% grade. Not much.

I have the bike already. I am looking to order a BBS02 750W mid drive kit plus a 48V 17.5ah Killer Whale from LunaCycle. The total is coming to be around $1350 shipped for the kit and battery. Is it excessive for my needs? My commute is 20 miles each way. Would I be all right with a 13.5ah battery instead. I plan to charge only to 80%. So, on a 13.5ah it would only be at 10ah.

Please help. This is a big purchase for me.

Do these kits come with everything that I need to assemble like all connectors and what not? I already have the bike tools.

Since you already have a bike, all you need is a DD motor kit. About $200. And 20ah minimum of 12s rc lipo. Last I bought cost $217 shipped, but was on sale. And a charger. $20 and up.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v1000w%20rear&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_FS=1
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/multistar.html

To go 40 miles, you'll need the biggest battery you can buy, so the 13.5ah will not be enough. It's a cruel world out there and too many variables.

I personally would also get the power cuff button thingie:
BBS01/02/HD PUSH BUTTON EBIKE EBRAKE.
It's kinda like a clutch, so you can get into gear before the motor kicks in, saying you're downshifting while going up a hill or you're at a light and forget to downshift. It's cheap enough to just get it and put it away if you don't like it. Or you can get the expensive gear sensor, which I've never tried before, but I like the concept of a "clutch" better personally.

My HWBS (hidden wire brake sensor) Ebrake Sensor broke rather quickly and it's a pain to uninstall it, so I would probably just stick with the simple magnet and ebrake sensor with some tape type.

If you run into some trouble with the installation, come back and ask questions. It will take a little tinkering to get it all perfect. I personally rearranged my rear cassette to get usable gears out far enough for that horrible chainline. I also bought a cheap CNC large cog like 40T off Ebay and modified it to work on my 8 speed and it's working like a charm. Also buy some extra 11T cogs because those will wear quickly if you consider going that fast.

Except for the connector to the battery cradle, all the BBS02 connectors are plug and play. Lunacycle generally puts on the right connectors on the connection to the battery, but they sometimes forget or use the wrong gender, and those who cannot solder will write long rants on forums.

Talk to this guy about commuting. First ebike commute complete.

If you can charge the battery after each leg of your 20 mile commute, the 13.5AH would work. Nice thing about a BBS02 is it pedals like a bike on a flat battery. Can't do that with a less expensive direct drive hub motor, although they do make good fast commuters.

BBS02 will hold maybe 25 mph with pedalling. Even with that lower speed, you'd need at least 15 amp-hours for 20 miles. At 20 mph, you could do the return journey on a 17Ah battery. If you want to cruise at 30 mph, you need a BBSHD, but then you need even more battery. A big DD motor and a big battery would be a good solution, but that won't even be close to 45 pounds.

Roughly, 30 mph needs 1000w of output power, so say 1300w from the battery to allow for motor and drive-train efficiency. That means 30 miles takes 1300wh and 40 miles takes 1733wh, which is 36 amp-hours from a 48v battery that would weigh about 10kg or more depending on what cells you used.

Here's an idea [BTW your location would help us find options]:

Barent is selling a full bike with Cycle Analyst V3, Leaf motor 1000W, on a fully suspended bike for $[strike]850[/strike] 800 without a battery. Take the $500 and buy yourself a nice pack. Bike is already built by a certified pro and will rock out at 40+ mph easy. But if you want to go 40 miles, you'll need a properly sized battery.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Endless.Sphere.Sales/permalink/1114820575289577/?sale_post_id=1114820575289577

A mac motor would fit your needs and be a little cheaper, since you don't have major hills. It's about 1.5lbs heavier, but more reliable than the bbs02 due to a lower amount of moving parts.. the kit is often cheaper too ( see em3ev for mac motors ).

MAC will be more powerful and a bit more efficient on the flats also. Don't buy the cassette model though, get the one with the freewheel.

If you had major hills, i'd say the bbs02 would be the ticket and the extra expense over the mac setup would be worth the coin.

em3v website is a nightmare. They don't seem like they have a kit for noobs like me. It looks like I have to pick each and every component and the descriptions are sparse. Could you tell which ones I should get? Also, they don't seem to have 48V battery at all.

jamesbond007 said:
em3v website is a nightmare. They don't seem like they have a kit for noobs like me. It looks like I have to pick each and every component and the descriptions are sparse. Could you tell which ones I should get? Also, they don't seem to have 48V battery at all.

Cell_man/EM3EV does lots of special packs and custom configuration. That doesn't lend itself well to menu style online shopping. If you email him with what you want, he'll probably send you a personalized estimate with his best recommendations. He lives in China, but he's a native English speaker.

jamesbond007 said:

If you think that's bad, you would have never been able to order one about 5 years ago.

EM3EV has kits in this section:

https://em3ev.com/shop/?prod_cat_=hub-motor-kits-motors

This one being great for your needs:

https://em3ev.com/shop/upgrade-mac-kit-with-4750v-battery-1500w-max/

If you're European or Australian, Em3ev sell the 36v 25amp "250w" kit, which is legal as it's stamped 250w by Bafang. It's nearly twice as powerful as the normal 250w version. It's basically, the 500w 36v BBS02 stamped 250w.

Back