Is this amount of drag normal for a crystalyte HT3525?

69er

1 µW
Plese watch the videos and tell me:
1. Is this amount of drag normal for a crystalyte HT3525? Motor spun by hand and no controller connected. If you have a chance, try it with your bike, compare and comment.
2. Is the amount of wobble I have normal/common?

Thanks

(moderator edit: moved this troubleshooting post out of the unrelated topic "PM Motor theory - formulae etc.". Please do not use other unrelated threads for your troubleshooting. It is best to create your own new thread for this, if you don't see a directly-related troubleshooting thread to post it in already about exactly the same subject)

Attachments

• Hub Wobble.mp4
    2.6 MB
i have a HS3540 it had some wobble in the rim but i fixed it with a spoke tool, i has 1-½ mm wobble in the motor
heres a short video showing the wobble

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8lvp5pbkja7wag/test.m4v

is a hall version? probably hall sensors rubbing on the side cover. my ht does that, i epoxied them good and then :mrgreen: greased the side cover so it wont bind too much.......make sure and mark covers when u dissassemble motor, so you can match it back , toerances are poor, halls an afterthought. you could put them hall leads under the windings, as i will next time.......could also be bad bearing had those go so as to allow rubbing on magnets/stator. cheap bearings, lasted 1000km....

Thanks guys!
Yes, it is a hall version. I was going to disassemble it, but then realized it is a little more involved than I thought. Knowing that I would basically do it just to take a look and MAYBE find something I could improve on, I decided to leave the dissasembly for when something is actually broken.
Halls being an afterthought and causing something to rub on something makes sense.

The meow on your 2nd vid is the friction between the rubber sealing of the wheel and the plastic cup where the cables come out. I dropped a small oil there and got rid of the cat :D

I have a HT3525 that i bought from Vbikes in Amsterdam. Brought it back to north america. I know ive seen a few of these miss aligned motors. i mounted my HT3525 and have not connected spoked it out or done anything else. The drag is about the same from a visual comparison. But my motor does not have nearly that amount of miss alignment.

I would assume that Crystalyte does better quality control for suppliers who they do more business with... Like most business relationships the bad/barely acceptable products go to the least connected customers. Where did you get your motor? What kind of customer support do you get? I would check with them and see if you can swap up motors. I would hate to see what that feels like at 60km/hour.

I was also concerned with the drag in my motor but i think it should be just fine. Thanks for the advice with the oil where the electronic cables come out. What type of oil did you use?

Regards

TMC

John in CR said:
TheMechatronicCreative said:
...Crystalyte does better quality control...

Those words should never collide in the same sentence.
Ditto. :(

to clairfy

I ment that they would send better motors to people who order more... I have no doubt that the quality controll is not high. My motor have more then a few defects. But generally speaking if you make a large order of 100 morots from them.... and you complain that they gave you shit cus your trying to run a company.... well they will generally give you their top tier shit....

haha those qoutes can take shit out of context

Also i have a question about the mounting of the motor.

The HT3525 motor comes with two nuts and two washers. as well as the 9 freewheel rear gears that screw onto the hub motor.

for mounting i assume that the washers and nuts both go on the outside of the bicycle frame (the ones that come with the motor). On the inside of the frame does the motor connects directly without any thing else? is this correct?

basicly im wondering if there is anything mounted between the motor and the frame. I see in the video that side where the motor electrical leads come out is attatched directly to the inside of the bicycle frame from OP's post. The other side of the motor is harder to see because you have your gear shifter there.

any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

TheMechatronicCreative said:
Also i have a question about the mounting of the motor.

The HT3525 motor comes with two nuts and two washers. as well as the 9 freewheel rear gears that screw onto the hub motor.

for mounting i assume that the washers and nuts both go on the outside of the bicycle frame (the ones that come with the motor). On the inside of the frame does the motor connects directly without any thing else? is this correct?

basicly im wondering if there is anything mounted between the motor and the frame. I see in the video that side where the motor electrical leads come out is attatched directly to the inside of the bicycle frame from OP's post. The other side of the motor is harder to see because you have your gear shifter there.

any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

I put the washers inside the frame. It is better because the surface of only the axle against the dropout seems too small.
Outside I put on both sides 1-1 torque arm:
http://ebike.ca/store/photos/TorqArmRev2.jpg
Normally this is a front wheel torque arm, but I put this on the rear. I used only the 3/16" thick piece, and I drilled holes on the frame dropouts for the screws. And I replaced the original nuts with locknuts (1/2"), and put without washer - the washer is the torque arm. This way the hub does not move at all.
Well the axle may turn a little bit, because the hole on the torque arm must be little bit larger than the axle width on the flat side. I think the best solution for hub motors would be a wider, at least 10-12mm wide fork end, and a screw across it constricting it on the axle. There are pictures here on the forum, but cannot find now.
The fork end on my new custom frame will be like that. :)

Back