Issues sorting out phase timing

Tincan

10 W
Gents,

After getting sick of the scooter, I converted everything from it over to my mountain bike.

However, I'm having a few issues sorting out the phase timing now.

I'm running a Lyen 4115 18 fet with just a generic non geared hub motor.

When I purchased the controller of Lyen, I also snapped up the phase tester, but i'll be honest, I don't have a bloody clue how to use it!

The motor has the usual 5 hall wires and 3 power wires.

Is there a way to use the tester to tell me the correct way i should have it configured?

Below is the ones i have.

ANY help would be much appreciated, so keen to go out and have fun on this!

Shane.

226596_10150273131419018_665889017_9234094_4154432_n.jpg

228586_10150273131969018_665889017_9234106_1386145_n.jpg

223470_10150272953794018_665889017_9231744_4658649_n.jpg

Ok, uploading you tube clip now of what happens when i hook up the tester to the bike.

I found Lyens instructions on how to use it, but when i hook it up, it does the "star" dance on the right hand side, and when you rotate the wheel you can see the second row leds move, but the bike actually doesn't work and the top row do nothing....

No one? :(

the way I do it ( done it) is to connect the phase wires ( just have a random guess ) the swap the hall connectors round until it runs and sounds right ( no load, low current, a small hub I would have thought should be no more than 1A wot ) if the motor is running the wrong way after you found a nice hall combination then you need to swap 2 of the 3 phase wires till it runs the correct way. When testing for the correct combination dont go giving wot only use a very small throttle and watch that the current dont go to high. I dont know for sure if this method will work with your hub motor but as long as you dont go mad with the throttle whilst testing no harm should come to the hub or the controller.

Motor Wiring Hookup

(excerpted from my build thread)

I had to search the motor phase space on this build. Interesting process. The Lyen motor tester showed me that everything was working but didn't directly show which phase combination was the one. It did help though.

On my new setup it is not easy to change the phase of the hall sensors, so I wanted to minimize that. There are six combinations of hall, but due to rotation symmetry only two combinations are truly different. One is forward hall rotation, one is reverse. You can see this with Lyen's tester. Fechter also diagrammed a simple hall tester with three LEDs and three resistors here on ES.

For each hall combination there are six combinations of motor phase. These are currently powerpole 30's on my setup so they are easy to change.

So the process becomes:

Test each of the six combinations of motor phase wiring (for one hall wiring combination). If none of those work smoothly in forward direction at low current, swap any two of the hall sensor wires (leaving ground and power alone) and try the six more combinations of motor phase. Twelve total. Not thirty-six. The other 24 are simply rotations of the first 12.

Test with very gentle throttle. It should rotate smoothly forward at very low current. If that works ramp up the speed, the current should rise some but still be quite low (unloaded wheel spinning). STOP if it is not smooth or takes more than a fraction of your full current (say 10% or so).

On the motor phase, make sure to explore all six combinations. Assuming three colors:

1) colors matching through (one combination)
2) one color matched, other two not matched, for each of the three colors (three combinations)
3) no colors matched (two combinations)

Back