iZip Currie e3 Path bike Possible Controller issue? Advice?

izipowner

1 µW
Hi everyone!

I have a izip e3 path Curry bike that's having some issues. (This is the bike in question: http://electricbikereport.com/electric-bike-review-izip-e3-path/)

The first problem I had was the motor no longer worked. This was after my wife had taken it out for awhile and used the throttle a lot going up some hills. After this, when pulling the throttle every now and then I'd feel something trigger for a tenth of a second like the motor was going to do something, but then nothing would happen or the wheel would just move a little. Soon afterwards the lights on the display stopped working and the bike no longer turned on.

I have some basic debugging skills and a multimeter so I've diagnosed that the battery is connected and giving power to the controller unit at a proper voltage (~29V). I've bypassed the switch and confirmed that it isn't the switch. I've confirmed the brake sensors are working correctly.

I discovered that the connector to the motor was stuck. It the bottom connector melted a little bit of the plastic just enough and it made it stick. I imagine this is not a good sign. I'm guessing the controller is bad?

20160718_211255.jpg

For now, I think my next course of action is to replace the controller unit. I called the Currie tech line and they said it would be $160 for the part. Unfortunately they're out of stock at the moment. Here's a picture of the unit:

20160718_211350.jpg

I found the wiring diagram too if that's of interest: http://www.currietech.com/dealers/wiki/images/9/9f/Wiring_Diagram_-_Path_2012_r4.pdf

A couple of questions:

• 1. Is there any possibility this is not the controller? Anyway to confirm the motor still works on this model?
  • 2. If it is the controller, what other options are there for this particular model as far as controllers? Is there a generic/third party controller I can buy for cheaper that would work? (2012 izip e3 path) Or should I just go with the manufacturers?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ok an update.

I've received the new controller and replaced the old one. The lights turn on. However...

Now when I go to turn on the motor nothing happens but I do get a grinding noise... does this mean the motor is bad too? Does it need to be replaced or is there a way to fix it?

Back