jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

Looks like 3 people could fit on that comfortably, here's me thinking only choppers had long wheelbases
now electric race bikes are 8 foot between axles too are they!?! Yet another beadifully built electric bike
showing all the ICE lovers what to look forward to when oil runs out LoL :mrgreen:

KiM

Chris, Why don't you consider the Hub motors from Enertrac? The hub motor option opens up the complete frame for batteries, controllers etc. It also eliminates the weight and power loss due to the chain.
Regards
John

hub motor in race bike = fail
you might have a fighting chance if you can make it ironless with a halbach array to reduce sprung mass
active suspension would also help but would be banned due to cost

Hi John,
I'm not convinced that the in-wheel idea can be improved much. There are necessary weights involved in motor construction; unavoidable weights. While it would free up much more battery space, the motors currently available aren't able to make use of the existing power available. Battery technology is going ahead in leaps and bounds, and it won't be long before a 60 kg battery pack contains as much stored energy as a few litres of petrol. The motors on the other hand, have a lot further to go before they are able to make use of it, and a hub motor is at the lower end of the list of technologies best placed to make use of that power.

At least with a frame-mounted motor, active liquid cooing is practical and the handling of the bike is not affected.

Cheers,
CHRIS

The Catavolt team is using a dual hub motor with "some" success... I do NOT wish to start a "this motor vs. That motor" debate. But I have had nothing but great customer support when working with the Enertrac organization. Granted I did NOT build a motorcycle for speed purposes.
Either way, best wishes to you in your build.
Regards
John Head

johnhead@frontiernet.net said:
The Catavolt team is using a dual hub motor with "some" success... I do NOT wish to start a "this motor vs. That motor" debate. But I have had nothing but great customer support when working with the Enertrac organization. Granted I did NOT build a motorcycle for speed purposes.
Either way, best wishes to you in your build.
Regards
John Head

Its best to let these things play out on the track, I hate to use this phrase but it seems to apply all these people typing themselves smart, just build it and we'll see.
Next year we'll be liquid cooled and be better yet.

markcycle said:
Its best to let these things play out on the track,

Agreed :D We can wax lyrical about the virtues of one method over another, but until they are tested we're just filling up forum pages.

One thing that building Voltron taught me, is that people who don't build bikes are sometimes the most vocal about how things should or shouldn't be done :lol: The dual motor, one shaft thing was a classic - all these people telling me that I needed a flexible element in there, where as the flexibility was the very problem in the first place.

ANYway...

Here is a bit of a MS Paint mock-up of my opposite stacked A123 packs. Two of these would fit snugly into the engine bay of a GSXR1000 frame, but the motor would have to be lowered a bit to accommodate them.

removable110cellbatterypack-2.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Suzuki-GSXR-1000-Frame-and-Wheels-/110719912628?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c76bcab4#ht_500wt_950

Hmmmm. 2002 Gixxer thou... Could be a goer?? Needs straight forks, so there's a good $800 in addition to the $400 to get it to Perth.

Well I might not have the cash to do much on the new bike, but I did score a bunch of cables from a friend's work. Look at this stuff!

cables.jpg

I landed about 8 m of 50 mm2 cable, perfect for HV stuff, and the flexible earth strap is perfect for inter-connecting battery packs. The 6 wire core stuff will no doubt be handy for throttle wires etc. Score! Jeff said they were going to recycle it all anyway, but it's worth a lot more to me than it is to a copper recycler.

Haven't made up my mind on the Gixxer frame yet; I'd need to get a mate in Mittagong to drive down to the coast and pick it up, and that's worth a bit more than a carton of grog I think... Besides, I don't yet know what two new Agnis will cost me :(

Holy thread revival Batman!

Yeah, haven't thought too much about this, but if I'm running a high voltage system I might need to rectify three-phase power to fast charge. I will be charging between sessions, absolutely. Track time is like palladium; rare and expensive! Since most races are 25-30 km long I figure 7-9 kWh is going to be enough, but space is at a premium on a bike. The big motors will drain that in no time, but as long as you come in on empty it's worth it.

I have been looking into EVO-Electric motors - they are powerful and compact, but I'm sceptical of their peak power claims. Still, should be a good place to start. Also learned that the tank bay of most litre sports bikes will barely fit one stack of A123s, so I might just have to go LiPo to make it all fit.

Nothing much to report here, except I think that a mid 2000s Gixxer might have more belly-space than a Fireblade. Sad, cause the 'Blade is a much nicer bike to steer.

GSXR1000K4frame.jpg

Might have to be one tall rack of A123 pouches, or a 400-brick wall of LiPos...

Thanks for the web link, Abraham. I'm finding it would be more useful if they also had the swing-arm attached, but I shouldn't be fussy.

OK, so what better things to do on a windy, rainy Perth September morn, than to draw ideas for my next bike :)

I have two ideas in mind - one bike that can be built fairly quickly using a pre-existing frame, and another that will be scratch built. The former will use a GSXR1000 chassis, as this seems to be the most spacious frame I can find. They are also fairly common. The bespoke frame, one where the motor is right at the pivot point, will take some serious thought, but will eventually result in a completely Japan-independent motorcycle. One for later ;)

My friend Antti was kind enough to bring his old Gixxer frame to Winton so we could take some pictures and take a few measurements.
GSXR1000frame.jpg

GSXR1000frame3.jpg

The battery pack I have in mind would be one hundred and forty A123 cells in series, using the opposite stacked method described above, but with two of them side by side. It makes for a 72 kg block, so a winch would be handy to put it in and out. This block would be about 300 mm wide and 360 mm long, and fit inside a Gixxer bay without too much trouble.

motorplacement002.jpg

The motor would be slung as low as practical, and since the AFM-130 from Evo-Electric is a narrow motor, you can do just this. The reduction drive will take some thought, as there are not many points on the motor where you can bolt a driven shaft. I figure a chain would do reasonably well, and no doubt easier than a series of cogs, stealing power with each rotation. This bit of engineering will be my next project, as I can also use the outer casing of this to invent attachment points for the new stressed member (I was thinking of laser cut ally plate, but no doubt something can be welded up easy enough).

Just got to get the race-prepped bike ready to rip out all the IC bits :D So if anyone has a mid 2000s Gixxer race bike they wish to retire, let me know :)

Another concern is the voltages required to run these EVO-Electric motors.

I got this response from Neville at EVO:
Apologizes for the delay in replying but I have been out of the office for the last two weeks.
The Engineering Dept has made the following comments but based on your original voltage of 420 Vdc:-
The AF-130 machines itself would give about 140Nm continuous torque, 350Nm peak torque, 60kW continuous power, 120kW peak power, which is somewhat below the values specified. Considering the dc voltage of 420Vdc under load, we would need to choose either a AF-130-3 + PM150DZ inverter, which would limit the performance drastically to 140Nm cont. torque, 220Nm peak torque (30s), 60kW cont. power, 90kW peak power (30s) or an AF-130-4 + PM150DZ inverter, which would limit the speed to 6000rpm but give higher peak torque (280Nm) and peak power (120kW). The PM150DZ inverter seems to fit into the space envelope specified (PM150: L:436 mm, W:200 mm, H:87 mm)
The problem for us is that the Rinehart DX inverter’s max dc voltage is 360 Vdc and the DZ inverter is from 500 Vdc. Your original 420 Vdc is bang in the middle of the dead zone!!!
I will have them confirm that the Rinehart PM150DZ is still okay with 500 Vdc max.
Thanks
Neville

The Rineheart controllers actually look bloody good, and they are the same ones that MotoCyzxzyzyxyz is using. It's the voltages required to run the motor to it's full potential that concern me. I can't exceed 500 V, so will I end up with a motor which is pulling excessively high currents for much of the time?
http://www.rinehartmotion.com/products.html

What do you reckon? Would the extra bearing on the driven shaft be a bit of overkill? I figure I'd need some circlips or similar to make sure the shaft doesn't work it's way out...

Jackshaft.jpg

OK so a few more ideas for the jackshaft:
jackshaftmount001.jpg

Sorry about the quality - graphite pencils don't show up so well. But I figure a couple of these standard bearings would suit a 25.4 mm shaft with a spline at one end to suit standard sprockets. The lower bearing would be a 'floating' bearing, meaning that it is a push fit on the shaft, and (probably?) a push fit on the outer race. This way any shaft extension due to hear won't put axial load on the bearings. I have indicated a circlip can be mounted on either the outer race, to stop the bearing from coming out, or on the shaft. Not sure which is better. The unit itself would be made from some kind of lightweight, but strong metal that doesn't expand much when hot, like aluminium :) But there are different grades, so I'd probably go with one that takes a thread.

jackshaftmount002.jpg

The three bolt holes are M8, and probably a good 20 mm deep. The sprockets would need to clear the bolt heads, so dome heads might be OK. I figure the 10 mm plate ally can go on either side of the jackshaft mount, and attach to the M10 holes that come with the AFM130-4 motor. There aren't many bolt holes on these motors, so I might end up making them part of the main stressed member that joins the motor mounts.

Any thoughts?

OK, better idea - having both sprockets on the one side will clearly put a lot of strain on the shaft, so the closer I can get it to the bearing the better. One way of doing this is to have the primary drive on one side and the secondary drive (to the rear wheel) on the other side. Also, the bolts I originally planned on using to hold the whole jackshaft assembly in place would stick out far enough to foul the chains, so I have taken on Eric's advice and arranged for them to be flush with the attachment plates so they can be welded. This means the whole assembly will come with motor mounting plates attached to it. Again, I will need to come up with a way of mounting the whole shabang in the frame of the bike, so I haven't drawn that far yet.

oppositejackshaftmount.jpg

You will notice I have circlip fittings both on the shaft and around the outer race. Since both sides will be experiencing some serious radial loads, I figure locking them in place is a good move. One side will have to be a push-fit, while the other (primary drive?) will need to be press-fit. Otherwise I can't get the shaft in or out!

What do youse reckon this time?

Hey Jonescg,

Been following this a little while and am very interested in what you are creating here.

I am in Perth too bro. Am loving what you are doing for EV racing dude, it's great to see you so proactive with this cause. :mrgreen:

WRT your jackshaft, this cir-clip is not required and will just weaken the shaft.

Without it your shaft is still fully constrained so there is really no need for it.

Regards,

Danny

Hey man! Yeah, I have already worked out that this one would be a bit redundant since there will be a spacer which the sprocket will be tensioned down onto anyway. I have not quite worked out how to tension the primary drive chain, but that can come a bit later. I'm thinking some double-row bearings would be a better option. Do you think aluminium would be as good a material as any? Steel would be too heavy, so I'm only using that for the jackshaft. Also, I might do away with the rounded lips on the shaft, as they are a bit more expensive and will possibly create a weak point. A tube that fits over it will probably suffice.

Thanks for the support and encouragement! Are you building your own e-racer? And if not, why not? ;)

Aluminum is perfect for that, just a matter of working out what thickness...

The primary chain tension would probably be easiest from moving the motor rather than the jackshaft. moving the jackshaft would mess with your secondary chain tension...

These are good for this - http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partslist/eccentricbushings/clampingandlocking/wide/1/ You wont get anything moving on you with these...

double row bearings will obviously handle more load for a given diameter. You can just go with bigger single row though. I guess it comes down to weight and rpm.

If you use a sleeve, it will need to be fixed to the shaft some how. would you spot weld it? I don't think it is an issue machining the shoulders onto the shaft. Otherwise just constrain the shaft with thrust bearings on either side...

Here is my build. A mini version of what you are doing :D http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31705

D

Batteries.

Since I plan on using a 120 kW peak motor, which will probably be running an average of 35 kW throughout the course of a 15 minute race, 9 kWh would no doubt see a throttle-happy punter like me through. So with 7-10 kWh on board as a goal, and a 360 V nominal system (seems to be what the Rhineheart motor controllers are OK with) let's see what can be arranged.

360 V means 110 LiFePO4 cells in series, or 90 LiPo cells in series.

The only LiFePO4 worth using is A123's 20 Ah cells. A 1p110S arrangement would mean a 7.2 kWh pack capable of a maximum of ~500 A discharge. It would also weigh just 55 kg. So while I might be running out of juice on the last lap, I would have got there a bit quicker since the bike would have been pretty light. This would cost about $8.5k from Mavizen, or considerably less from Cell_Man.

LiPo gives a few more options. Using some of those Haiyin 6 Ah cells, I would need 90 in series. A 5p90s arrangement would give me my 10 kWh capable of a stupendous discharge rate. They are small format, so I can fit these into a Gixxer frame with a bit of clever planning and I'd be close to 77 kg worth of cells. At $13,000 that is just way too much money.

Turnigy cells work out much cheaper, and a 5p90s arrangement with these guys would make for a 8.3 kWh pack, weigh only 59 kg and cost about ~$6k after delivery. These cells would need some fancy arrangements too. Alternatively I can try to fit 6p90s, and have a 10 kWh pack weighing just over 70 kg, and cost about $7k.

OK, is there a problem with running a 1p110S arrangement? I'm expecting to be pulling ~500 A on occasion, which is 25C. If one of my cells is not up to the task, I have a whole system failure. A123 cells are pretty darn awesome; safe, easy to balance and monitor with a BMS, but would I be asking too much of smaller pack?

Are these Haiyin cells made from Unobtainium or is there a reason why they are so damn expensive?

Can I trust Turnigy cells to not fail/explode?

... :?

Just wanted to let you know I found this source for a Rinehart here
http://vaxosystems.com.strawberry.arvixe.com/store/products/105-rinehart-motion-systems-inverter-pm100dx.aspx

They also sell Remy. Hopefully this gives you an idea of price comparisons

-Kyle

Cheers Kyle, I was looking at their site earlier. Seems the 150DX is still 'in the pipeline'...

Yea, I have only known of a few people using the 100kW version. I would assume thou that the new Lightning and the new Motoczysz use the 150kW model with the Remy Motors that each of them use. The 150kW controller is also listed on Rinehart Motions webpage and has been for awhile.

Back