Journey to a 1000W Cyclone geared bicycle

The beginning
-------
Heres how my ebike adventure started:

A few months ago, I found myself looking for an easy, low-cost, medium-range method of transportation. It was to be used both for general transportation and for going up a particularly horrendous hill 2-3 times a day. I started looking at electric bikes and scooters and found myself looking at 3 categories of machine:

1) $300-400 commercially manufactured bike with Pb batteries
- Unable to climb the hill
- Batteries expected to die in 3-6 months

2) $900-$1000 hub motor bike (500 series motor, controller, batteries and a steel walmart bike)
- Additional $500 required to move from Pb to Li batteries
- ebikes.ca seems to be the main source for the best hub motors, but they often dont have everything that one needs in stock
- Expect to spend 1300W climibng steep hills (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1177&start=0)

3) $1000-$1500 electric scooter
- eGo2 would have been first choice

The cheap, commercially manufactured bikes were out. Although they would help me get around town, they would not get me up the steep hill.

I had to eliminate the eGo2 electric scooter as well; although the scooter has a 1500W motor, there were reports that it would burn out when climing steep hills. Since a large part of my reason for wanting this vehicle was uphill travel, this wouldn't work.

So I set my sights on building a hub motor bike similar to those presented by the user "d" here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1177&start=0

Specifying myself away from a hub motor
---------------------------------------------------
This is what my rough pricing looked like:
$100: walmart bike
$135: 72V, 40A controller from ebikes.ca (48x20 wont do the 1300W that I'll need)
$450: hub motor from ebikes
-------
$685 before batteries

My expected maximum mass (myself+bike+stuff) was around 220 lbs. I wanted to be able to travel under 1300W of power for about 20 minutes (thats a 3 C discharge, or 390 Wh.

Since 96 Wh of Pb batteries weighs about 5 pounds, I estimated that each Wh of energy from a Pb battery would cost about 0.053 pounds. Multiply that by 390 for 21 pounds of batteries. Sounds acceptable? Because of sulfation, Pb batteries don't live long if they are fully drained. In fact, one common suggestion is that they not be drained below 50% capacity. This means that I would need 780 Wh if I intend to deliver 390 Wh and have the batteries survive more than a few months. That means adding ~20% to my mass and therefore to my energy requirements. Between this and the knowledge that good treatment would bring the battery life only to a year, I decided to eliminate Pb batteries from consideration.

As I was considering the problem of batteries, I started to think about streamlining my propulsion needs. I put together a little calculator which told me that, for a reasonably speciified geared system, I would need 1220W of peak power and 875W of continous power to go up my hill. The 1200W was based on the need to accelerate uphill and the 875 on continuous travel uphill.

The move to a geared bike
-----------------------------------

At the same time, it became known to me that a user on this board had a 500W cyclone geared bike for sale. The cyclone motors (http://www.cyclone-usa.com) operate through the bicycle chain, allowing you to use your rear gears in conjunction with the motor. Although the bike would not be able to provide the nearly 900W continuous that I would need, I decided that I could deliver the remainder via pedaling. I purchased the bike.

A battery interlude
--------------------------
With this system, I would ask the batteries to deliver 750W for 20 minutes (225 Wh). Again I considered and rejected lead acid batteries. I didn't want to have to baby batteries with memory effect problems so I eliminated NiMH and started looking at lithium ion batteries.

I picked out 3 possible sources of lithium ion batteries: Dewalt battery packs (36V), Milwaukee battery packs (28Vx3Ah) and LiFePO4 batteries from China. All three were in the same range in terms of price/Wh, so I decided to compare them on convenience and longevity. With two different sources of LiFePO4 battery packs, I decided to eliminate the batteries from China right off. I would have effectively no warranty with them, and the sellers know it. If they were to die because of manufacturing defects the week after arriving, I would have very little recourse.

I was left with the power tool batteries. Both types of batteries were designed for high current use and both could be expected to last over 1000 cycles (1.3 charges/day->~2.1 years). The longevity of LiFePO4 packs is very well advertised, and Milwaukee thinks enough of their packs to warranty them for 1000+a fractional 2000 charges. Of the remaining two, I chose the Milwaukee packs because the previous user of the bike had used them and because they were available on sale.

At $85/pack, 4 packs would offer 336 Wh for $340, which I found to be reasonable.
I did a little research on what causes lithium ion batteries to die. Lithium manganese batteries such as those in the Milwaukee packs have two (chemical, room temperature) failure modes. At extremely low voltages, the manganese dioxide in the battery dissolves in the electrolyte, and at high voltages side reactions take place which damage the battery. I found out that leaving a lithium ion battery on the charger to "top off" is EXTREMELY BAD and that I could expect my batteries to last an extra 50-75% if I took them off the charger and ran them for just a minute to keep them from being stored full. (side note: much of the reason that LiFePO4 batteries have such long cycle life is that they are charged to lower voltages.)

I would be free to drain these batteries to about 15% after charging them to around 95%. This 270Wh (336*0.8) would be enough energy for my task.

Troubleshooting the geared bike
--------------------------------------

The person selling the 500W cyclone bike had experienced some problems with it.
-Problem: A clicking noise when the bike was ridden
-Problem: Instability to the point of unusability when the bike was ridden with the freewheel on
-Problem: Heat generation near the battery packs

Soltuon: Adjust tensioner The clicking problem was caused by the chain. The tensioner was too loose. I tightened it and the clicking went away.

Solution: Adjust tensioner/live with it I was, however, left with a bike whose pedals spun anytime the motor was on. I looked into the cause of that problem and got a few hints that it might be due to a mismatch of old and new parts. When a sprocket and chain are used together, they stretch and wear to fit each other. Since the freewheel system was a new sprocket, it did not mesh with the old chain. Between this and the (previously) loose tensioner, this resulted in uncontrollable skipping. Improving the tensioner moved the problem from uncontrollable to slightly annoying, at which point I was satisfied.

Solutuon: Replace existing connections with Anderson Powerpoles I solved the problem of heat generation near the battery packs by replacing most of the connections with Powerpoles. Remember when I said that I had identified the two room temperature chemical failure modes for these batteries? Well there is a third failure mode which is made worse by heat. Replacing the existing connections with powerpoles got rid of the main source of heat in the battery bag. (note: the batteries themselves dont get even noticably warm.)

I knew beforehand that the bike was a bit underpowered for my use. It would take me up the hill with a llittle help from my feet, but I would have to stop partway each time because running it at max power (as opposed to max sustained power) for 10 minutes caused it to shut down.

Welcome to Idiotsville, population me
----------------------------------------------

After almost 2 months of relatively happy biking, I had a stupid day and decided to do a little experiment. If I were to switch the bike from 28V to 56V, would I be able to deliver more power and get up the hill before shutdown kicked in. I sorta-kinda remembered something about the previous owner of the bike using it at 56V and figured that if there was a problem, it would simply shut down to cool, resulting in a 5-10 minute inconvenience. I decided to give it a try.

I was right about it going up the hill more quickly, but when it shut down, it was forever. I had blown the controller.

Moving to 1000W
----------------------

I was left with a couple of choices; I could replace the 500W motor (the controller was in the motor housing) for $210 or I could order a 1000W kit from cyclone taiwan for $460. I decided to go for the 1000W unit so that I would not be left needing to fix the same problems as before.

I ordered and the parts arrived about a week later. The old picture on the cyclone-tw.com website showed a standard bike with the 1000W motor arranged in the same way as the 500W system shown here: http://www.cyclone-usa.com/images/hex04-16.jpg
I assembed based on those instructions and found that the chain would come off the motor almost immediately after startup. The problem was the sprocket provided by cyclone.

Problem: Jumping of the chain While the 500W system had a 14 tooth sprocket, the 1000W system from Cyclone Taiwan had only a 7 tooth sprocket. This made jumping of the chain extremely easy, especially at the speeds accessed by the 1000W motor. Partial solution: Change bike configuration Cyclone advised me to arrange the system as it is currently displayed on the website: http://www.cyclone-tw.com/images/1000Wbike.jpg
and I did so.

[Problem: Mismarched sprockets from cyclone[/b] Soon, I ran into another problem. While the large freewheel sprocket provided by cyclone was designed for 1/2" x 5/32" chain (in modern times, the most common type of bicycle chain), the motor sprocket was designed for something different. After spending a lot of time thinking that the problem was the pitch, I discovered that the problem was the width. The motor sprocket was designed for 1/2" x 1/8" chain.
Solution: Use a chain that fits the smaller sprocket well and the larger sprocket decently After a week of frustration, I purchased a 1/8" width chain and attached it; I had a chain that fit the motor sprocket. While it would operate with the larger sprocket as well, it would not be a great fit and would be bound to cause me some sort of trouble in the future.

To be continued......

Problem: Chain jumps off sprockets The next problem was jumping of the chain. The chain from the motor to the front sprocket was extremely noisy and would jump off the sprocket after about 3 minutes of travel for what appeared to be no reason. (note: before changing configurations, the chain would last about 15 seconds.) When I set the system up, I left the motor-side chain slightly tighter than I was comfortable with because I knew that it would be operating at high speeds.

After a few chain jumps, I noticed that the chain was much looser than when I started. Since the effect of gravity is to pull the motor down and tighten the chain, I looked around for a cause.

Solution: Add tension to make up for stretching of the chain It turns out that new chains lengthen over the first few miles that they are used. While the metal itself does not deform, the pins and bushings arrange themselves into the most elongated form possible. Thus, the chain was longer after even a few minutes of riding than it was when I began. I lowered the motor further to add more tension to the line and rode on.

The bike today
--------------------------

While I have improved the front chain tension, it remains quite loud. It operates smoothly for about 15 seconds before giving a periodic "rumble". While the bike is rideable, I am afraid that the chain will break on one of these "rumbles". The rumble gets worse (duration and severity) at higher speeds and under higher loads. The period between "rumbles" is too long for them to represent a particular link crossling a particular location, so I've yet to determine the cause of the problem.

Thus far (I've only had this working for a day or so), I've only ridden in granny gear. However, granny gear is fast. I will probably use the bike in granny gear for accelrating from a stop and climing hills, with higher gears used in short bursts to maintain speed.

Problem: Vibration while operating motor My priority for this bike is ending the periodic vibrations described above.

Problem: The external controller is a theft target. I can't leave the bike locked up outside Right now, the controller is held on to the triangle off the bike with zip ties -- I tried using a triangle bag, but lack of access to air caused the controller to overheat. I'd like to place it on the outside of my battery bag on the rear rack, but the cables are too short to reach.

You might be able to locate the source of the runble with a mechanic's stethoscope:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

41966.gif

Reaches 11-3/4''
Find bumps and squeaks from the engine to the dashboard. Identify piston slap, worn gears, faulty valves, water pump failure, damaged gaskets, defective bearings, and more. Handle is shockproof. 2-piece probe reaches 11-3/4''.

ITEM 41966-5VGA

$5.99

(un?)fortunately, the problem occurs only when the motor is under some load. I have to be sitting on the bike in order for it to skip.

TylerDurden said:
You might be able to locate the source of the runble with a mechanic's stethoscope:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

41966.gif

Reaches 11-3/4''
Find bumps and squeaks from the engine to the dashboard. Identify piston slap, worn gears, faulty valves, water pump failure, damaged gaskets, defective bearings, and more. Handle is shockproof. 2-piece probe reaches 11-3/4''.

ITEM 41966-5VGA

$5.99

lookingelectric said:
I have to be sitting on the bike in order for it to skip.

Well, I guess that's better than trying to run along next to it... :mrgreen:

You might hear something even with no-load, using the scope.

What about wheel-up and partially applying the brake?

Thanks for the detailed report.

I wonder if there is a way to put a spring loaded tensioner for the motor chain. This way it would be self adjusting.

Does the rumbling noise happen if you run the motor with the wheel off the ground?

I would look for runout on the sprockets while it's running.

There could be a tendency for the motor to move slightly under load, causing the alignment to change.

On my first E-bike experiment I put a little scooter motor under the bottom bracket in front of the crank. I used the original scooter chain that had (about) a 1/4" pitch to drive the large sprocket wheel with its 1/2" pitch. It actually worked pretty good, but obviously the pitches did not match quite at a 1 to 2 ratio. Every so often the chain would ride up on the sprokets of the bike's sprocket wheel. This would over tension the chain and make a little rumble before it settled back down. The chain never broke or came off, but after I burned out the motor riding up my steep hill one too many times, I discovered hub motors, and the rest is history. $$$ :D

Thanks for the tip on the mechanics' stethoscope. I'll see if I can replicate the sound with the bike on a stand and the brakes on a little bit. I've tried using a stand with no brakes, but gotten no noise.

I've discovered that the noise happens even when pedaling with the motor off. I'm suspicious that the problem might be related to the master link on the motor->front sprocket chain. I might try pedaling until I get the sound and then checking the position of that master link.

If all else fails, I'll add even more tension to the motor->front sprocket chain.

There is no planetary gearbox on this system.

LE

You might remove your motor – chain wheel chain, take a ride and see if the problem disappears. This would confirm you suspicion that the problem lies in the motor chain wheel drive. Also, how did you gang the chain wheels? Are they across the freewheel adaptor flange, one on each side? Finally, did you get to ride long enough, pedal only, to determine how much drag that 1000W freewheel less motor has? -grant

Excellent topic. I was looking long and hard at the 500 and 1000 watt cyclone kits. I will follow this thread with great interest.

fechter said:
Thanks for the detailed report.

I wonder if there is a way to put a spring loaded tensioner for the motor chain. This way it would be self adjusting.

Does the rumbling noise happen if you run the motor with the wheel off the ground?

It turns out that the rumbling does not happen if the rear wheel is off the ground. It seems to be something that happens only with load, and that gets worse as load gets higher. I might temporarily remove the motor cutoffs from the brakes so that I can very gently simulate load on a stand and understand the source of the problem. My first thought is that it might be the master link on the chain, but it doesn't seem to happen on every revolution.

Also, it looks like the chain is still lengthening. The chain jumped off twice today and I had to release the motor a bit again in order to get the tension back.

BTW, my speeds up the worst part of that hill are far better than with the 500W motor.

Back