Jr Brute Sabre Bike

etard

100 kW
My Race bike is down for repairs and waiting on a motor from the Thudsterbater, so I thought I would take the opportunity to pretty it up and make it worthy of all the love Thud has put into the drive system. I want to do a fighter plane theme and since it's already painted silver I have been looking at the gorgeous shiny aluminum skinned airplanes of the past. Two planes I keep coming back to are the F-86 Sabre Jet and the P-51 Mustang. Here are some pics that I plan on drawing the design from:

P-51 Mustang
web_p51_mustang_4021.jpg

21FG-4.jpg

Such a classic shape! I really like the undermounted scoop for putting the controller inside of and adding a cooling fan.

F-86 Sabre

2466255126_7f13e7f42a.jpg

7540775-md.jpg

F16_F86_01.jpg

F86Sabre.jpg

I'm leaning toward the Sabre cuz it's a little more rare and I think the frontal scoop would lend itself to the active cooling of components. "How are you going accomplish this Etard?" you may ask. Well, that is where you come in ES, surely there are a couple guys here that can give me some advice on how to make this happen. I want to make the bike stand alone look like a jet on wheels, or at least appear to be similar in the theme as a whole. It will be an enclosure around the frame, but I will sit around it as if riding on top of a mini jet. I don't want to add a ton of weight, but I want to be able to lean on the topside and it be solid. I want a seat like a cafe racer, so I plan on having a short stubby rear stabilizer behind my ass ending in a shape similar to the plane. I want the cockpit to be a half bubble like the plane and hide the instrumentation in there like a motorcycle. Face on, it will be narrow, like the bike, but directly from the side it will look round, so my enclosure will have to be an oval shape. I wish I had photoshop skills so I could see this superimposed onto the bike, so if anybody knows how to combine two images, here is the bike as it sits:

P5180105.jpg

Now that I look at it, the cockpit would actually go behind the steering stem, more like a crotchpit. :lol:

I'm also thinking a suspended seat arm that pivots off the headtube area sort of like this:

photo-30.jpg

252767New_010.jpg

So the beam would actually be the battery enclosure appearing like a jet, this is my other thought. It's kind of a big project to take on, but I have some fiberglass experience, and want something to ride that I can show off in looks as well as performance.

Any input would be welcome, positive or negative, let me have it.

Updates to come...

Well this could make my life easier:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=7029

Kinda pricy to basicly destroy the thing and not use half the parts. Also a little bit bigger than how I imagined but there is always this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F16304%5F%5FP%2D51D%5F1200mm%5FFuselage.html

With tailsection and canopy could prolly get it for $50 shipped. Hollow out that foam, stuff some batteries in there, try to fit the controller in that bottom scoop, cut out section for seat. Might be pretty cool...

Back