Juiced Riders ODK500 (V2) 48v15ah cargobike.

zydeco

10 mW
A couple of days ago I received my new ODK500. Please excuse this incomplete review as I intend to update it in the coming days. I have not correctly range tested the bike yet. I will just list pro's & Con's. http://www.juicedriders.com/

Pro's
This bike is comfortable. With wide handlebars and upright seating position on a big fat seat.
It has plenty of torque. I weigh 264lbs rightnow and this thing pulls me up hills with some authority.
It rides well when the weight is at it's maximum 330lbs. I don't feel unstable.
It has a 48V15Ah battery. What other bike gives you 720Wh without upgrades?
It's like a stationwagon ebike.. It can carry me and plenty more. While I wouldn't want to carry people back there I could easily carry a weeks groceries for a family of 5 like mine.
So far the level of communication with their customer service has been OUTSTANDING.
Cheap but effective toolkit was unexpected and handy during the first couple rides.
Cruise control is freekin awsome!
I have had spoke issues on the other ebike I own. I will not have those issues here. The spokes are huge.
Con's
It's noisy. Kinda cheap noisy geared hub while strong, is loud.
It only does 18.5mph without pedaling.
It handles like a stationwagon.
I paid extra for the double kickstand and I wish I hadn't as the stock one works very well even with a load on the bike.
I think the charger sorta blows. It's slow and runs hot. I feel the substantial battery on this bike should have a more substantial charger.

So far I have ridden the battery flat 3 times. I didn't have a cycle computer on it yet so I don't want to state mileage at this time. So far I am very pleased.

Attachments

• P1050762x.jpg
    P1050762x.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 10,622
  • P1050757x.jpg
    P1050757x.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 10,622
Zydeco,in the article/link Spinningmagnets posted it states the bike does 23 MPH without pedaling, maybe theres a power setting not set to full on yours ? I think theres something wrong if your only getting 18 MPH's , maybe speedo isnt calibrated correctly or ?

It may be that a lighter rider could hit 23 on a fresh battery. With my weight 18.5mph is about all it will do un assisted. The cycle computer is calibrated for the correct wheel size. I can pedal it up to 23mph though. There is assistance there up to that point so I see why that top speed would be claimed. I was also able to finish my range test today. At 29 miles the bike would no longer move with my weight. This is about what I was expecting from 720Wh. My other ebike has a 504Wh battery and pulls me 22 or so miles in a similar environment. I want to be clear that range was with about 280lbs with rider+cargo plenty of hills and headwinds. I pedaled very little and accelerated hard. I imagine a rider who weighed 100lbs less were fit and in a level area would have a 35+ mile range. I am really enjoying this bike. I want to whole heartedly recommend it at this point. I do want a faster charger though. I intend to contact customer support to get the details about the batteries max charge current. The bike itself is of good quality. You can tell that it was intended to be an ebike from begining to end. The dropouts are thick. The gearing is high. The tires are meaty the spokes look like they came from a moped.

I had been eyeballing these bikes for a 2805 9c rear wheel build, but the dealer wouldn't ship the frame to AUs. Now they do apparently (they sent me an email saying that).

I reckon this would be an awesome base for an ebike. Keen to hear how you find it.

Cheers, Phil

zydeco - Now that you've had the bike for a month, do you have any comments that you would share about this bike? Did you buy the bike direct or through a dealer? Are the tires, tubes, brakes, etc. available only though Juiced or can you order from other sources? I'm considering getting an ebike for a 10 mile commute (each way) and also to a little fun/tooling around. Thanks ahead of time for any follow up.

I'm considering getting an ebike for a 10 mile commute (each way)

If you end up deciding that the ODK-2 is the right choice for you, I would recommend a Thudbuster seat-post. From the review:

...The Juiced ODK-II comes with a 15-Ah Lithium Manganese (LiMn) battery equipped with prismatic (soft pouch) cells. According to Juiced Rider, the pack should last 500-700 charges. The battery is 48 volt 15 amp hour, a whopping 720 watt hour (read our description of watt hour) which we would estimate would give you a realistic 35 mile range

I am sorry it took so long to respond!

@Teklek The fender fits pretty close I don't think you could go much wider with fenders on.

@tomred All the bike parts are standard parts as far as I can tell. The tire is a kenda ebike tire. The tubes are thick thorn proof tubes but you could use a regular cheap one in a pinch. The brake looks like an avid BB7 knock off. I bought the bike from their website. The customer service has been excellent. The range of this bike is perfect for your commute without over taxing the battery.

I don't think the bumps on this bike are any worse than on any other bike I have had. It uses a front motor in a specially designed fork so those suspension forks are out of the question. I admit my butt has been staying pretty sore since I got into ebikes but I think thats because I ride alot and I'm heavy. I am at about 500 miles now on this bike and I have had my first issue. The charger died. I sent customer support an email at 2:30am and received a response at 3:00am stating another would be on the way asap. 12 hours later they shipped it overnight and I had it 12 hours after that. I have to say their customer support has been flawless to this point. I asked them alot of questions both before and after the sale and I have received well thought out responses. I was also told to stay tuned for an upgraded charger as I have been complaining about the stock charger. My mipower came with a charger with roughly twice the wattage than the ODK came with. Since the ODK has a battery roughly 50% larger than the mipower it feels like it takes forever to charge the ODK. It takes 6 hours to fully charge the ODK and since I ride it farther than 50% of its range that means I have to charge while on the road and that can really suck when the charger is so slow. So far I haven't had to buy any upgrades for this bike so I don't think it is too unfortunate to have to purchase an upgraded charger.

Great review, ended up picking up one myself.. its my first ebike and I love it!

Seems that I love the juice though :) my range estimation is only about 30 miles in the town I ride in now. which is not bad considering!

I am full throttle all the time averaging 18mph up some pretty big hills, and when straight and level at 20.xx at ~100-200watts cruising... which would of course make my ride much longer!

But I hit hills and its 600-700 watts to pull me up them.

It is loud and that can be weird for me who has never had an ebike.

It IS a heavy bike, and pedaling to maintain 12mph feels like the bike is broken haha

I love mine!

Yes I agree the bike is heavy and not allot of fun to pedal without power. When I am concerned about range I accelerate very slow and pedal to accelerate and up hills. I am glad your enjoying yours. I have been riding mine everyday!

Thanks!

After riding it only about 10 miles now.. and this being my first ebike.. how did I ever ride a regular bike :) this just makes riding so enjoyable!

Its like the thrill of a motorcycle without the speed that kills haha

So after riding more than half the battery (almost 16 miles) my CA says that with my near exclusive powered rides are getting me 21.3 watts/mile

Thats not bad considering that I am going 18-21mph the whole time and chugging up hills as well as pulling my daughter in her bicycle trailer :)

That should net me 30+ miles which is very nice!

So Im a numbers guy and after referencing the motor on (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43106) a table for the BPM 48v500w 20(12) that is on this bike, looks like Tora really did a great job matching this bike to all aspects!

Nominal KV for the motor is 7.231 and that puts you at 394rpm or 23.77mph unloaded at 54.6.. but again that will never happen in respects to MPH. I have only seen 22 or so mph unloaded due to voltage drop.

very cool stuff though, and this also curbs my urge to make it faster since it is limited based on voltage and rpm (i thought the controller was holding back the speed.. but that is not the case)

Sorry to Keep hijacking your review thread, but I figure the more info on this bike in a consolidated space the better!

Here is a ride review (sorta) with the Cycle Analyst in View the whole time.

Really enjoying this bike and what is interesting is I guess after the issues with the charger as stated in this thread, Tora now includes an extra charger.

So this bike comes with 2x the 2.5A charger.

Tora explained that a 4A charger would work, but i'll wait for them to do the legwork and then pick it up from Juiced Riders (rather then source it myself from china)

[youtube]7LIMSEd6Rks[/youtube]

man I do not mind you using this thread at all! I am glad that you are building on it and I think we will make a great community resource for other ODK watchers and buyers!

I see you ordered the same purple color I did:p Was the CA plug and play?

I have a post on my CA problems :) http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49944

The installation was straight forward when it comes to shunt installation but the battery outputs some noise I ran into issues with. But I found a fix action.

Well worth the trouble.

Had a real nice ride with my bike today, towed along my daughter a total of 39 miles today!

Started with a fresh charge, ended up pedaling most of the way downhill (500 foot elevation drop) then used the power most of the way up :) (again 500 ft elevation climb)

So with 3 hours 7 minutes and 7 seconds of riding:
I had an average speed of 12.4mph (casual i know)
Vmin was 43.4 and Watt-Hours were 762.34 with a nice 19.6 Wh/mi and just over 15 Amp Hours

So I proved today with some nervousness that I could make it home under power and still go 18mph on the lowest voltage (which again followed my calculation using the motor Kv)

I am used to the hobby world where I discharge lipos to 3.3v per cell under load before I start worrying. I was amazed that with this pack that I never even reached 3.3 (3.33 but still) before the rated 15AH that it is rated at.

So how do these LiMN packs work? Because on LiPO there is no way I would ever use the rated mAH because that was a full 3.0v discharge which would never happen!

LOVE THIS BIKE!
IMG_1726.jpg

@dnmun I will open it and take a picture. I saved it so that I could use the whip with a highpower charger.

I broke 1000miles a couple of days ago. Everything is still going strong. All I have had to do was tighten the brakes once. I am very happy about the fact that this bike has good enough components that I have yet to upgrade anything. The replacement charger has been getting a bit warm and I suspect will die soon.

I just hit 57 AH and 127 miles... I have enjoyed every moment except the brakes :(

The front disc brake lever does not have enough throw.

Don't get me wrong they work fine, just not as linear as I have been used to on hydraulic disc brakes and matched levers.

They are tektro levers with promax brakes.

The levers are designed for cantilever / hub brakes.

I heard I could just get some Avid BB7 and those have a short enough throw that they might work better..

Any input from you guys or other owners?

Back