Juicing Up Pictures

Charging up INSIDE Tim Hortons Frozen then Reheated Donuts
I have not been able to find an outlet in this area, so I went ahead and brought the bike inside!

I stopped using my computer power supply had hobby charger rig about a year ago when I installed a MeanWell HLG-320H 42A "charger" in the bottom of my milk crate. But oddly, I've never really looked for places to charge while I'm on the road. That's mostly because I usually have plenty of battery. But since I'm thinking of doing some longer rides, I need to get in the habit of looking. I found a fairly handy live outlet in the patio area of the Via Linda Senior Center where I play table tennis. So I topped off the batteries before heading home. The cord I have is about six feet long. But I think I need to get an 8 ft or so extension cord. I had to unlock my bike from the railing to charge it. Would have been nice to be able to leave it unattended.

IMG_20190608_152042779_JuicingUp.jpg

I keep a 15ft (I think) cord in the trike just in case I need to charge it away from home. Rare, but it's happened a few times over the ~4 years the trike has been around.

The trike also has a Meanwell, HLG-600H-54A , mounted under it, as a traction pack charger, just because it's sealed and potted and basically weatherproof and vibration resistant.

My pack is a split pack, into 3 the and the Dell Laptop chargers spit out 7 or 8A and get quite hot.
The battery is old, probably lost 3/4 of its capacity, and today I charged for 45 minutes, yet still ran out on a hill when I thought I was fine, and I think it was because I went full throttle for quite some time.

The 42A in the HLG model is deceiving because its 42V and 7.65A which is good power. My MW HRP's were 12-24V and 16A I do believe on a split pack. The LED PSU's are ideal, thats for sure!

I have new 13S 25R pack ready to go, needs XT90's just the controller is 48V and I want 36V. Plus the Dell's do 5S at a time, so I got a 3S conundrum. Which reminds me, I really gotta get on that new 25R pack. I bought some 10awg wire yesterday.

For the Dell's you are right, an extension cord would do me well, plus I gotta get on putting all 3 Dells on one cord, as right now I got 2 Dells on one cord, and the 3rd on another cord, so two outlets I require, which got me in trouble yesterday at the 7-eleven when the owner came walking in and saw my wires by the ice box. :lol: See if he encloses and locks that outlet or not.

wturber said:
I stopped using my computer power supply had hobby charger rig about a year ago when I installed a MeanWell HLG-320H 42A "charger" in the bottom of my milk crate. But oddly, I've never really looked for places to charge while I'm on the road. That's mostly because I usually have plenty of battery. But since I'm thinking of doing some longer rides, I need to get in the habit of looking. I found a fairly handy live outlet in the patio area of the Via Linda Senior Center where I play table tennis. So I topped off the batteries before heading home. The cord I have is about six feet long. But I think I need to get an 8 ft or so extension cord. I had to unlock my bike from the railing to charge it. Would have been nice to be able to leave it unattended.

IMG_20190608_152042779_JuicingUp.jpg

markz said:
The 42A in the HLG model is deceiving because its 42V and 7.65A which is good power. My MW HRP's were 12-24V and 16A I do believe on a split pack. The LED PSU's are ideal, thats for sure!

Yeah, the 42A means 42 volts Adjustable, not 42 amps. The 320H means 320 watts. My meter reads 8.3 amps output even though the power supply is rated at 7.65A like you mentioned. My standard battery pack is 2 cases with 4x 10s2p hoverboard modules and I now have a third case with 5 of those modules for extra long distance. I've got them wired so that they all charge and supply power in parallel. I could use more charge power for faster charging, but the bike is already awfully heavy.

An adequate adjustable voltage range is great to have, along with the parallel feature. I noticed that with a lot of psu's I've had, the ampere's range is a tad higher, which is good for us.

I'm just putting all 3 of my Dells onto one cord, using a lower gauge extension cord for where they all connect together, and yes, a good 6' length is enough, but 8' wouldnt hurt either.

Heavy bikes are just what we gotta deal with, its would be ideal to get one compact charger in 36V or 48V in a 15A but the prices for those are a tad high. I'm sure theres compact, but its always the price, always.

wturber said:
Yeah, the 42A means 42 volts Adjustable, not 42 amps. The 320H means 320 watts. My meter reads 8.3 amps output even though the power supply is rated at 7.65A like you mentioned. My standard battery pack is 2 cases with 4x 10s2p hoverboard modules and I now have a third case with 5 of those modules for extra long distance. I've got them wired so that they all charge and supply power in parallel. I could use more charge power for faster charging, but the bike is already awfully heavy.

A train station, deep in the hood/slums of Calgary in the NE.
What was I doing there? Well I went to our only Cabella's store and Bass Pro. I purchased a new smaller telescopic rod and "Sonic" spinning lure which got me a fish on the very first cast, and on its 12th cast.
fish1.jpg

There was a bum sleeping a few feet away from the plug, which I did not mind as he looked like a Native Peoples, besides that there was lots of ethnic pungent smells in the station, as it was semi-rush hour.
View attachment 2

Beside a grocery store, side parking. A block away from that train station. Deep in the hood, stayed right there, in the shade. Turns out, lots of people walk to the grocery store, main route to their cheap shelters. 3/4 of people walked past me, the other 1/4 walked past the back of the car. More bums then usual in that neck of the woods.
View attachment 1

I am seeing correct?
Do you use 3 laptop charges to charge 3 subpacks??
That is one complicated setup.
In last picture definitely are 3 charges stack up together.
I guess you cannot ride 30 kilometers on one charge.

miro13car said:
I am seeing correct?
Do you use 3 laptop charges to charge 3 subpacks??
That is one complicated setup.
In last picture definitely are 3 charges stack up together.
I guess you cannot ride 30 kilometers on one charge.

Yes, well now I am down to 2 laptop chargers on a split pack.
The battery is on its very last leg! Yes singular, thats how bad that pack is! The battery pack does not deserve plural legs.

30km is what I would have gotten when I first had that pack, nicer to have 50km range though. The current pack is only good for 15km if that. A year ago, I should have bought a backup battery with decent range. Two of everything, literally EVERYTHING.... is always good to have!

With my Chevy Volt generation 2. cells pack I can easly ride 70-80 kilometers using 80% of rated capacity.
My edrive is 36V nominal but I charge to 43.8V ,
I never ever come close to 38V , never 39V
I look for outlets when I see 40.2V - 40.3V on CA .
This pack is 11S2P combination.
My pack loves to be trated like that.

miro13car said:
With my Chevy Volt generation 2. cells pack I can easly ride 70-80 kilometers using 80% of rated capacity.
My edrive is 36V nominal but I charge to 43.8V ,
I never ever come close to 38V , never 39V
I look for outlets when I see 40.2V - 40.3V on CA .
This pack is 11S2P combination.
My pack loves to be trated like that.
How big? How heavy? How much $$$$?

weight of this pack 11S2P is 16.5 kilograms complete with connectors, electronics.
size around 20 by 25 by 25 centimeters.
I bought GEN 2 Chevy Volt module containing 25 cells and used 22 cells for my battery.
cost around US$250-260 it was . year is very important I bought from 2017 written off Volt.
from Hybrid Auto Centre.

I scored today, 7-eleven store ice machine, someone had pushed the very large ice machine out a bit out. So I grabbed a drink and people watched this crazy long weekend. Noticing lots of people literally need a mile, and every lane clear to make any moves in their gassers. Frequently, I'm next to a car to cross straight across the street while the gasser is there picking their noses trying to turn as Im looking back at them. Pathetic drivers out there, bunch of pussified punks!

Got stuck in the stix without juice. Walked 2km (1.25m) and up a hill about 800m, atop the hill a brand new strip mall had ZERO outlets, had no gas station either. The 2nd story office entrance was locked, and I could see an outlet. This was 6pm Sunday. Pizza place was open, saw outlets but kept walking.

New homes all around, went to what I thought was an empty townhouse condo. Plugged in to the front outlet.
Sat on a new homes for sale sign, a few units down to not act suspicious, with my bike on the one front step.
15 minutes through my 20 minutes charge time, I realized some units were occupied. :oops: I looked at the second level above the door I was charging at, had shit in the window :oops: :oops:
Waited another 5 minutes so I knew I was able to get to McDonalds/Esso 3km away.

Where I started from, a waste treatment center had a parking lot and stall outlets with LED's.
I plug in my handy outlet circuit tester, and it read good.

The led's on the outlets had 3 led's
1 was left outlet and it was green or off
1 was middle a white and always on
1 was right outlet and it was green or off

When nothing is plugged in, white is steady on and both green leds both rotate on/off for a 1/2 second of rotating left and right.

Plug in my charger to the right side outlet, and it starts blinking faster, while the left side is blinking normally.
I tried 3 different stalls at various points. One at the end of the lot, one a few down from the front door, and at the front door.
All acted the same.

I let it charge for 40 minutes, and nothing.

The charger was not hot, and no juice was added.
I went around the corner of the building, saw a patio and no outlets.
Went around the front to the gated yard and guard shack, no outlets.
Went tot he powered pilon sign, no power.
Went to the entrance entry arm, no power.
Went to its power transformer cube, no power.

Google maps showed strip mall 3km away up a 800m steep hill.

Walk of shame :oops:

Here is the stix, fishing

View attachment 1

Here I was charging up outside a grocery store, when I left my shades had dropped below the bench and near the wall. The next day I retraced my route 15km and had two spots in mind where the shades could have been left behind by accident. I found them.

my favorite for charging are Calgary schools , sport centers, YWCA, government building,
anything payed by my property taxes /$230 !!! per month/
seems new public buildings have less outside outlets but for sure by building code they must have some outlets,
I would never buy coffee to charge my ebike , no way, I have a kitchen in my house, I have thermos also to carry with me.

miro13car said:
I would never buy coffee to charge my ebike , no way, I have a kitchen in my house, I have thermos also to carry with me.

i don't even drink coffee and I would buy coffee to charge my bike ... because I'm not at home and carrying a thermos doesn't get my batteries charged.

In the unlikely event that e-bikes grow in number to the extent that they become recognized as an important component of transportation, then I'm pretty sure that we'll see more "free" or easily accessible outlets. But for now, I assume that many businesses are mostly trying to avoid liability issues and the powering of RVs overnight.

Here for sure knowing people here
when ebikes becomes more and more popular for sure most of businesses would start turning off outlets.
That is just human nature.
I dont want ebikes to be popular
Public properties are places to charge,
security are mine biggest enymies somhow

wturber said:
miro13car said:

In the unlikely event that e-bikes grow in number to the extent that they become recognized as an important component of transportation, then I'm pretty sure that we'll see more "free" or easily accessible outlets.

As soon as they see an opportunity to make another buck they'll find a way to monetize it. Just like the air pumps. We may find more accessible outlets if this ebike thing really takes off as an accepted form of daily transportation, but the number of "free" ones will eventually drop to zero I suspect.

Interesting how people react here in Calgary seeing bicycle leaning against the wall of building.
Most just walk by hardly noticyng is an electric.
I always try to find outlet hidden behind bushes at school, sport centre, goverment.
Out of sight out of mind
I never plug in industral area on private propery
EXCEPT when unit is for lease, sale,
Charging at or near gasoline station, oh no, no, no.

HK12,
HERE in Alberta, Manitoba, coldest places of CAnada there will always be engine heater plug in of course free.
For customers, it is standard
On many, many parking places.
The problem is I noticed some businesses turn of power on such parkings in summer.
It just take 2,3, 4 ?? EV when mostly security notice charging EV s

miro13car said:
HK12,
HERE in Alberta, Manitoba, coldest places of CAnada there will always be engine heater plug in of course free.
For customers, it is standard
On many, many parking places.
The problem is I noticed some businesses turn of power on such parkings in summer.
It just take 2,3, 4 ?? EV when mostly security notice charging EV s

Give it time, they'll have tap to pay on every block heater outlet, lol.

I mostly jest but if these things really proliferate I suspect things will begin to change, for a variety of reasons.

I have found there are schools with literally no outlet at all on the outside of the building. Add to that they parking stall outlets are not even turned on. I have not run into a locked power outlet. I charge up where I ran out of juice, but I notice the less power so I am thinking of a plan of where to juice up. Gas stations yup, parking lots yup, inside train stations yup, home depot, c.t., lowes.

More and more mini strip malls will have no outlet, ran into that a few months ago. Ended up charging out of a townhouse that I thought was being built, but when I went to unplug, I noticed someone living in the unit, and this must've been 6 or 7pm, summer time. It literally looked like a construction site to me. I would have never have done it if I knew it was a private residence.

I noticed one common place I juiced up they disconnected the outlet, it was a rotating sign for a mini strip mall. I now plug into an outlet that is 3' from a pipe fenced patio, outlet located at the exit of a drive through. Even had the franchise store guy, inspecting it not say a peep when he left and walked right by it. Restaraunts are fine, I like to keep an eye on my stuff, ever since the guy stole my battery. Two zip ties, thats why I use hose clamps now.

Community Name sign on the blvd had an outlet.

Oh a community rock falls, had scattered xmas light outlets on the gnd but were turned off, Rocky Ridge blvd.

My setup is totally noticeable, so there are times people stare at the ride.

Back