• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Kelly KLS6030N Working.

NoSmoke

1 mW
Finally received the Kelly KLS6030N. Hooked it up on the bench and ran the ID Angle procedure - the motor made a few sounds like it was trying to move but did not actually rotate. But, the program reported success after a minute or so so I connected the throttle and it seems to work as it should (speed ramps up & down smoothly and it runs in hi/lo speed range plus forward & reverse OK).

Still puzzled though as to why the motor did not rotate during the ID procedure - it was my understanding that it would move randomly back and forwards.

BTW I didn't have to switch any of the phase or Hall sensor wires from the nominal color values. :D

I am not familiar with how that works with Kelly, but if its working now then thats good.

The motor did not move at all and you kept your eye on it the entire time?

It does not need a lot if anything, I know on the cheap controllers I use when I switch from 52v battery at lvc (42v = 3v/cell x 14) to a fresh 36v 10s at 42v my controller will not operate, I literally just touch the learn wires and it engages but in reverse, so I have to touch the learn wires together again to get it going in the right direction. The motor does not spin at all, just jerks a tiny hair. I dont even engage the connector, I literally just barely touch the conductors before the connector engages and locks which it never does because I ride every single day and do that move on every ride.

I bet if the LEARN connectors were snipped off and the wires insulation stripped and you just flick the wires so they touch for a millisecond it would do the exact same thing. In your case to be helpful, you could try just that and all it would do is just reverse rotation.

My total and complete guess is while the LEARN wires are connected together, the controller is seeking a combination that is being changed many times a second. Once a phase combo is hit, a movement occurs along with back emf is detected and it stays on that combo. You paid a lot of money for your Kelly so you have a more sophisticated learn circuitry inside the controller, much smoother.

The sabvoton SVMC series Move the motor only a few degrees Forward and back. There is not much movement necessary.

Thanks to both for your comments - I feel more confident about it operating correctly now.

The motor was not entirely motionless - it jerked a wee bit, in both directions IIRC. Actually the motor itself may have moved more as it remained connected to the axle/differential and all I was watching was the axle movement. There would also be some backlash in the differential gears so that could have masked some of the movement as well.

I was especially pleased that it worked with the default color wiring configuration (was not looking forward to trial & error swapping of the phase and/or Hall leads to find the best configuration), and especially since I did not know exactly what motor movement to expect when working properly or not.

AFAIK the Kelly controller does not have "learn" wires. All that has to be connected to the controller for the IA procedure are the phase, Hall sensor and battery wires plus the USB connector to the PC configuration software.

Re the com port connect failures BTW, emailed Kelly about it and it appears the PC version of the software was originally written for Win-XP and has issues with USB communication with Win 10 & 11. Kinda a lame state of affairs IMO - all I know to get it working is to switch the controller on/off and/or plug/unplug the USB until it connects.

Apart from the connection issue I am very pleased with both the hardware (looks very well constructed) and the configuration software (seems to have a lot of functionality).

Back