Kelly vs Sabvoton Controller review 2017

izeman said:
Klasik said:
Change throttle delay, also throttle release delay are possible to adjust, but it doesnt work good. I tried to draw what my piece is doing, and it is really really annoying. Anybody has the same problem ? Anybody knows the solution ?
are you saying that your throttle is OVERSHOOTING? if so, i have the very same problem. i fully open the throttle, the motor revs up to whatever the fully openend throttle "allows", then when i RELEASE the throttle the motor immediately REVS UP higher than before for maybe half a second, and then goes down to zero as you would expect it.
this was the main feature to ditch the controller. no reaching full rpm and this over boost when releasing the throttle made it unsuitable to ride.
Yes, "overshooting" like that. It is maybe OK for some very heavy vehicle, which needs tens of seconds to accelerate, but for bike it is a big deal.

For bike its not ok. Could be ok maybe for car which has 1000kg and 10kw motor. But for bike is really dangerous and very annoying.

Klasik said:
For bike its not ok. Could be ok maybe for car which has 1000kg and 10kw motor. But for bike is really dangerous and very annoying.
even for a car it's not ok. NEVER. it's just counter intuitive. but the question is: WHY is this happening, and could we stop/change it?! is this a bug or a feature.

Is there a website that sells Sabvoton's with prices attached.
What is required to program Sabvoton's?
Confusing it with Sevcon.

markz said:
Is there a website that sells Sabvoton's with prices attached.
What is required to program Sabvoton's?
Confusing it with Sevcon.

QuanShun (makers of the QS205/QS273) sell a bunch of different Sabvoton controllers. Prices included, but not S&H. They provide all the stuff needed to program it. Also, it's not in their list of Sabvoton controllers, but they also offer a SVMC72200 and a SVMC96120.

http://www.cnqsmotor.com

Bumping this thread a bit, recently tried starting my new sabvoton controller but cant get it to connect. Seems to be alot of people having trouble with this, does anyone have a solution?
Getting desperate :(

New Product 36 FEET Sabvoton SVMC96120 brushless controller for Electric Bicycle Motor with bluetooth adapter:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/36-...-Motor-Bruless-DC-Controller/32827617371.html

New-Product-36-FEET-Sabvoton-SVMC96120-brushless-controller-for-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-with-bluetooth-adapter.jpg_640x640.jpg

1). sine wave controller, programmable, with regen function
2). DC Current Limit: 120A
3). Max. Phase Current: 300A
4). Battery Voltage: 24V-96V rated, Max. 120V
5). Thermic Probe: KTY83-122
6). Including one controller + USB convertor cable + matched plug
7). controller size: 283mm*147mm*62mm
8). Net weight: 3.0kg
9). Default not including bluetooth adapter.
10). Default function: Hall, Throttle, Electric Lock, High Brake Level, Temp sensor, 0-5v e-brake, three speed switch, Hall speedometer.
11). Special functions: Reverse, Cruise, Three speed Button, Waterproof, Anti-theft

Notes:

1).We have updated the 0-5v e-brake function.

Old: it should be press the brake switch then can achieve 0-5v e-brake funtion.

Update: you can achieve 0-5v e-brake function without press the brake switch.

2). For no lock type controller, there is warranty service, but we could offer our suggestions for you.

3). CA function not support anymore. You could customize the controller according to our drawing.
4). Pls. make sure all the connection is correct before power on.

"CA function not support anymore."... Watt???

:cry:

Does anybody know if the Sabvoton Controllers are Sine Wave or FOC? FOC is just a type of Sine Wave controller that gets its timing information differently than a traditional Sine Wave Controller.

My electronics understanding is quite limited but I am progressing slowly....the Kelly should have more peak power because there is more area under the trapezoidal curve than the Sine Wave curve but like reported, the trapezoidal controller usually has a bad torque ripple at low speeds. If all you want is power then go with the Kelly, if you want high efficiency and smooth operation go with a FOC. IMO the Sine Wave without FOC is in the middle and doesn't really do the best anywhere but does OK at all rpms.

This paper was helpful for me: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/40ac/06d3db0b82242038c2dcd20c433d5d1c74f6.pdf

Check out Table 2....that is where I draw some of my conclusions above from. The power statement is from Justin at Grin Tech...and obvious to me once he pointed it out :lol: .

All of this is of interest to me because EM3ev is supposed to start distributing QS hub motors and Sabvoton Controllers. I may build a bike for the pavement with a QS motor.

Newbie here. Quick question... can sabvoton w/tft display show correct motor temp w/halls connected? I believe the gray/silver wire is the temp wire thats on the hall sensor. Or is there a special way to wire to show temp on tft screen?

TIA

Chris

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quinc said:
Anyone find any holiday deals on Sabvoton controllers?
Ali Express has decent prices that I have found.

I bought a sabvoton 72150 with tft and the controller didn't monitor motor temp(missing 6th wire on hall sensor plug). The tft screen wasnt great and cut out past 10kw. Also the controller and tft screen blew after just 50 miles. Sabvoton is trash! Buy a mobipus from SamD here on the forum, you wont be disappointed.

Check my thread for the details
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95439

shortcircuit911 said:
I bought a sabvoton 72150 with tft and the controller didn't monitor motor temp(missing 6th wire on hall sensor plug). The tft screen wasnt great and cut out past 10kw. Also the controller and tft screen blew after just 50 miles. Sabvoton is trash! Buy a mobipus from SamD here on the forum, you wont be disappointed.

Check my thread for the details
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95439
Thank you sir for the info! Greatly appreciated!

Kelly controllers I bought both blew fets during regen. One after the other. I lost a lot of money and they refuse to even help. The first controller I recieved had bad firmware. They wouldn’t let me send it back. Made me go through all the trouble to update the firmware on a brand new controller. Worked fine. Set regen to 50%, worked great for a day. The next day I hit regen and after it came to a stop, bang!. Wouldn’t take it back or refund. I was eager to get bike going so I purchased another neither agreeing or disagreeing I messed up or they messed up. $180 down the drain. Got the second. Spend 2 days professionally quadruple checking every single connection and insulated every wire correctly. Worked great. Again when I began setting regen(the only reason why I got controllers from Kelly despite all the bad reviews) I this time set to 25% current. Worked great. For about 5 minutes. Again, after coming to a stop, bang! No support. No help. Won’t even respond back. Let’s not forget they sold me controllers advertised at 220amp, and after receiving them both have 180 amp max on both controllers. They refuse to comment.

Kelly controllers I bought both blew fets during regen. One after the other. I lost a lot of money and they refuse to even help. The first controller I recieved had bad firmware. They wouldn’t let me send it back. Made me go through all the trouble to update the firmware on a brand new controller. Worked fine. Set regen to 50%, worked great for a day. The next day I hit regen and after it came to a stop, bang!. Wouldn’t take it back or refund. I was eager to get bike going so I purchased another neither agreeing or disagreeing I messed up or they messed up. $180 down the drain. Got the second. Spend 2 days professionally quadruple checking every single connection and insulated every wire correctly. Worked great. Again when I began setting regen(the only reason why I got controllers from Kelly despite all the bad reviews) I this time set to 25% current. Worked great. For about 5 minutes. Again, after coming to a stop, bang! No support. No help. Won’t even respond back. Let’s not forget they sold me controllers advertised at 220amp, and after receiving them both have 180 amp max on both controllers. They refuse to comment.

What motor did you combine it with ? About a year ago I had Kelly KLS72150, together with HUB QS 205 V3. I had regen set at 100% and it worked fine all year, really hard breaking which I wanted. Probably 50A back to the battery and rear wheel sliding in some kind of ABS mode.
Unfortunately one day, I was driving, stopped for a charging and have a lunch. After charging I turn the key ON, and controller was dead, just like that. Then I tried to swap for Sabvoton SSC 72150, which was lying in my garage for few years, it is very big, but so far so good. Regen works weird, but works. I had to set it to 400A regen, to be getting about the same 50A braking effect as with kelly. Also bike doesn't come so near to a stop as with Kelly. AT about 10km/h regen gets weak and must use mechanical brakes, or crash to the nearest tree - also works.
Few of my friends are still using same Kelly controller too, and never had regen-burning issue. Is it possible that your motor could be damaged ? Half way burned winding ?

Dui said:
As explained here above, I have the 72150 Version, but unlocked to produce 200A instead of 150A.
About reliability, the Sabvoton is a rock, I made countless stupid things with it, ride it everyday at full throttle for 40 to 50 km under all kind of weathers, it endured every possible bad treatment, even a miswiring of positive and negative wirings once (KABOOM), and it is still working after about 3 years of this treatment. So yes, I have total confidence in its reliability. But it is just my personal experience, far from being a scientific assessment.

Hi

I know this is quite old and hope you're still around. When you miswired the positive and negative of the Sabvoton, did you have to replace any components such as MOSFETS? I miswired battery positive to Green phase terminal while negative was wired correctly, on my brand new 96v 120A Sabvoton. Ofcourse then I had to replace all 10 mosfets of the green phase. But as soon as I connect positive and negative (correctly now), FETS of that green phase keeps blowing. I have replaced the fets 3 times now and cant get it to work. Some other component must be causing them to blow as soon as I connect the battery. I didn't get to even do the hall test yet. Can't afford to buy another controller. Paid £350 for this. :cry:

Roguenite said:
I know this is quite old and hope you're still around. When you miswired the positive and negative of the Sabvoton, did you have to replace any components such as MOSFETS? I miswired battery positive to Green phase terminal while negative was wired correctly, on my brand new 96v 120A Sabvoton. Ofcourse then I had to replace all 10 mosfets of the green phase. But as soon as I connect positive and negative (correctly now), FETS of that green phase keeps blowing. I have replaced the fets 3 times now and cant get it to work. Some other component must be causing them to blow as soon as I connect the battery. I didn't get to even do the hall test yet. Can't afford to buy another controller. Paid £350 for this. :cry:

Its been a while, but my controller is still working just fine to this day :)
My mistake was different than yours, I swapped the polarities on the positive and negative terminals, not to the phases. It made a huge spark and damaged the terminals on the controller, but aside from that I had no issue whatsoever, nothing broke.
I think your controller is toast, sorry for your loss. :(

Back