Kepler Bottom Bracket Friction Drive For Sale (Finally)

Are you over here in the States ? California ?

If so I do want you to come for a visit. PM me if you wish.

Kepler said:
Sorry, travelling OS at the moment. No problems with a drive. I have placed you on the list.

Kepler said:
I average around 6wh/km on my carbon road bike. That is at a decent pace of around 35kph to 40kph.

That is super impressive :) my daily commute will be sub 200whr , making for a small lightweight pack :) 500w is a perfect assist level too.

I use 2 assist levels to get this efficiency. 200W most of the time and 400W for an extra boost when needed. My pack is a 7S3P using 3500mah 18650 cells and gives me about 240Whr usable. It obviously depends on how much you are willing to pedal however 35km is easy to get with very little effort.

Hi Kepler,

I have gone and made my own friction drive bracket since I got bored waiting for yours to be available and I also discovered on closer inspection that my bicycle would not fit your mount after all, as the BB locking ring has insufficient thread to mount 2.5mm of your device behind it, the BB shells do not protrude out of the BB far enough, it would be a PIA to cut down or replace the bb unit with one that would fit the bracket.

So I attacked a piece of 6mm thick 50x50mm alloy angle section with a hacksaw and drill press to make a mount that clamps to the lower rear chainstays ( mine are large rectangular section alloy frame so a simple clamp mount is perfect . my crude device mounts a 6354 against the tire with about 2 mm clearance, similar geometry to yours and a gravity spring made from a piece of coat hanger wire, I sort of copied your idea but the pivot is a steel door hinge as they are easy to mount, strong and fairly rigid with little play and easy to replace if worn out. , the stop for the range of motion limit is a crude pair of hooks on the ends of my gravity spring that catch each other at full extension The other springs I tried were long curley types and gave excessive bounce as they had a fairly constant rate the short action variable rate of a stiff wire spring is ideal as there is less motor bounce on bumps. I have a couple of extra friction dampers in the system in the form of 2 zipties that rub against the end of the spring they stop most of the jiggling. They seem strong enough so far and survive the repeated drop test ( while holding the handle bar drop the back wheel on the ground from about ½ m) my simulation of curb drops and bunnyhops. I went for a long ride today with the motor mounted to see if it would moveabout or break its primitive stops but it seems tight and the drop test is more extreme than any riding I would normally do .

I have come up with a working solution, Im still soldering all the wires together, a hall thumb throttle, vesc , 440 w/h lipo (20ah 6s), battery mounting to down tube water bottle mounting in a special alloy sheet and corflute board container and vesc in the bottom of the triangle with very short wires to battery and motor. I got vesc to work with bldc tool on my linux computer and it all works but have yet to hook up the motor and throttle and finish programming the vesc. Im waiting on a proper alloy case from poland for the vesc, for now its in a cheap food box with clip on lid … ill put up some photos soon, thanks for the inspiration. I never would have built such a simple device so quickly if you hadn’t done it first or found the vesc.

I had a couple of questions about your setup
do you allow the motor to bite into the tyre as much as it wants to ? or allow only a certain amount of pressure by limiting movement with the stop ?

My setup is presently able to compress the tyre about 5mm when its against its stop , I figure I relax the tyre bite at the desired maximum power level until it starts to slip to find the optimal bite/efficiency

I should with luck finish it in the next few days

I also have the drone pancake motor to experiment with now, an 8318 with 48 poles and 100kv, it turns real slow with heaps of torque thinking of simple single speed left side drive using 219h cart chain and sprokets with custom clutched freewheel on the back wheel to allow freewheel and regen at some later date …. hairbraned ideas abound

photos to come if your interested

Good news. All parts are in! I have a week off next week from my day job and should get them all assembled and sent out by the end of the week.

I will be in contact with everyone on the list next week. Dont worry if you have changed your mind. I know it was a long wait. But i would appreciate if you can let me know so I can plan further sales.

Thanks all for your patience

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 4,966
Looking good!

I wonder if the end of the swingarm could hold a further pivoting plate creating a 'T' shape? Each end of the new plate would then hold a 50mm motor (in close proximity) - providing two points of contact in rotating the tire. Presumably, this would cut the workload of each motor in half, provide better grip and likely be a lot quieter in operation. Or, perhaps, lesser powered motors could be used to achieve the same effect as a single one.

I'm guessing that if the plate was lightly sprung so the the lower motor always contacted the tire first, the downward force of its rotation would force the upper motor to pivot into contact too.

Hi Kepler,

Just wondering if you think this might work on a Brompton foldup bike? Is there one available for me to order?

Cheers,

L

I have fitted the drive to a folder but not a Brompton. Needed to modify the main support bracket but just re configured the stock parts for the rest of the design. Actually using a skateboard hub motor on this one. Works really well but its just a bit slow. On 10S I can cruise on to 20kph to 25kph which is a nice comfortable speed for a folder. Just using a stock 6 fet ebike controller on this one which is only good to 36V hence the limited speed. The skateboard hub is a bit quieter then an RC motor on a square wave controller. I think it would be perfect on 13S using a Vesc. I quite like this bike for use as a runabout and will be fitting a Vesc and 13S in the future.

With regards to a folder version of the drive, i wont be doing one because there are just too many variations. You can see from the pictures though, its not too hard to modify the main mount and come up with a configuration that will suit your bike.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84905&start=250

Attachments

• 20170305_132215.jpg
    20170305_132215.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 4,882
  • 20170305_125233.jpg
    20170305_125233.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 4,882
Kepler said:
With regards to a folder version of the drive, i wont be doing one because there are just too many variations. You can see from the pictures though, its not too hard to modify the main mount and come up with a configuration that will suit your bike.

rats, so I guess no kick stand mount version that you had mentioned before ... Do you think I could take your standard version and drill some holes to mount it to some fabricated L shaped mount that I'd screw to the kickstand mount? I'd love to finally electrify my Dahon folder!

Hello, is there a build thread i am missing. Also the manual as a pdf?
For budget i may start with the cheap seat. A VESC may be a bit steep in learning. I did meetba youg skateboard fellow to guide me. In the meantime im interested in the BMS battery solution. Its just always hard to pay their goofy shipping rates, again. <grin>
Thanks.
Edit answering my own questions. Yes Mac! http://vesc.net.au/BLDC-TOOL/OS%20X/BLDC_Tool.dmg

Enertionboards mac version? Not quite understanding how the throttle sets up. Reading like a maniac...

http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/new-vesc-x-speed-controller/vesc-x-bldc-tool-mac/

Attachments

• IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 4,736
No, just the development thread which I think you have seen. here is a link if you havent. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84905

With regards to an actual manual, I have the PDF version to send out to all those who have puchased a drive. I will email it on the same email address as the person's PayPal address.

Just hold off on the cheap controller for a few days. SamD is testing a cheap sinewave 6 FET at the moment. If it works out, might be a good budget controller alternative.

tomjasz said:
Enertionboards mac version? Not quite understanding how the throttle sets up. Reading like a maniac...

http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/new-vesc-x-speed-controller/vesc-x-bldc-tool-mac/

The throttle setup isnt too difficult once you get your head around it. I have explained it in the manual. Once connected through the ADC port, you just need to scale it in the BLDC tool to get it to work through its full range.

Attachments

• Friction drive assembly manual Page 23-2.jpg
    Friction drive assembly manual Page 23-2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4,733
Kepler said:
No, just the development thread which I think you have seen. here is a link if you havent. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84905

With regards to an actual manual, I have the PDF version to send out to all those who have puchased a drive. I will email it on the same email address as the person's PayPal address.

Just hold off on the cheap controller for a few days. SamD is testing a cheap sinewave 6 FET at the moment. If it works out, might be a good budget controller alternative.
Perfect thanks. Gonna flip some parts and go for the board i listed once i get the cheap seat running. "Get my head around it..." hah! I do see it now. Reading to fast. Got me into an embrassingbthread already this week. THANKS!
Wondering about build thread to see what others are doing. After looking at the VESC software onthe Mac, i think i can manage it. Glad its OSX! Like Grin!

For all those who have put up their hard earned, your drives are packed and will be posted tomorrow. Overseas customers expect deliver in 10 to 14 days. Australian customers, expect delivery in 2 to 3 days.

If you are after a drive and I haven't contacted you, please let me know via PM.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Attachments

• 20170425_162647.jpg
    20170425_162647.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 4,733
Thoughts on this VESC version?

Attachments

• IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 4,750
Back