KMX Trip Data - Great Bikes for Long Distance

knoxie

1 MW
Hello

Just got back in from a trip on the KMX, using the 10AH Point-1 and a USPD powered KMX, I used a measly 8AH covering 42 miles only!! using the motor on the hills and on totally flat road.

The range is quite incredible, the wind resistance factor and the low rolling resistance must come in to play, it makes such a big difference, also Bents are well comfy, after a 40 mile bike ride my neck, butt, wrists ache, after 42 miles on the KMX I feel great? no aches and pains.

No I know they are not everyone's cup of tea and people think they are dangerous, I found on the open road people give me a lot more room than when I am on a bike? which is great! I am going to get the flag for mine as it makes it that much more visible.

A great way to get around and so much fun! I have posted up an animation of the elevation data, there were some steep hills in short bursts! I found I can put a considerable amount of force in the peddles to help make the climbs as I am pushing in to my back against the seat.

Anyway I am rambling, we have finally got our summer here in the UK, it was a perfect day for a ride, have a look at the ride data video, its a little tiny flash animation, if you look at the clicker box you can see the distance and the elevation, this info was spat from the GPS.

http://knoxie.ath.cx/kmx2/kmx2.html

Cheers

Knoxie[/url]

hello mate,

thats a great piece of software - even i understand it :)
42 miles is incredible range i think, it is amazing what a little effort on the pedals saves, i went out with the mrs once helping her up hills but just riding on the flat and we were out for 3 hours :) , when i go alone im back in a hour :twisted:
the kmx does look like great fun, they do seem dangerous on the road though, fair enough cars give you a wide birth when they see you but it's when they don't thats the problem :(
get that flag now mate!!!!
i'm really envious of you having this weather too!!!

cheers

D

Wow, good going dude. So that was 1 36v pack? 360WH? great range, says alot for your restraint and leg power. Using it just for hills of course helps a great deal :wink:

Are you using the original hookworms?

Watch out for the flag, its dangerous in its own way, and could take your eye out if not carefull! (I removed mine, and have had only 1 driver come close to not seeing in te last 6 months, and in reality he DID see me, just misjudged how fast I was going)

with 3 of those packs you could make it all the way to my house :lol:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

Oh..it doesnt save sessions...search for BN10 Peacehaven, 114 miles from oxford :lol:

deecanio said:
hello mate,

thats a great piece of software - even i understand it :)
42 miles is incredible range i think, it is amazing what a little effort on the pedals saves, i went out with the mrs once helping her up hills but just riding on the flat and we were out for 3 hours :) , when i go alone im back in a hour :twisted:
the kmx does look like great fun, they do seem dangerous on the road though, fair enough cars give you a wide birth when they see you but it's when they don't thats the problem :(
get that flag now mate!!!!
i'm really envious of you having this weather too!!!

cheers

D

Hi Mate

Yes great day today, one of those happy to be alive days! :lol: The KMX is fine on the road, you have to be a little careful in traffic, but on the open road its fine. Yes I like the exercise I get from peddling and when I feel the heart attack coming on, my thumb twitches the pot and I am off again! ha ha.

Puma Test 2 tomorrow, tune in and find out the deal, may even do a video as well.

Knocko

Jozzer said:
Wow, good going dude. So that was 1 36v pack? 360WH? great range, says alot for your restraint and leg power. Using it just for hills of course helps a great deal :wink:

Are you using the original hookworms?

Watch out for the flag, its dangerous in its own way, and could take your eye out if not carefull! (I removed mine, and have had only 1 driver come close to not seeing in te last 6 months, and in reality he DID see me, just misjudged how fast I was going)

HI Joz

Yes still on the original hookworms, I must get a spare tube for the front and rear, it dawned on me today "what if i get a flat?" I bet a rear is a pain to change on the road? (never had the rear wheel out), the fronts look easy as you dont need to take the wheel off to fix a puncture.

How long do your disc brake pads last? I dont have any bikes with disc brakes, how can I check them? what the best way? and where do you get replacements from? any old Bike Shop? or Ebay?

Yes 1 x lipo got me that far and I didnt kill myself peddling either, I am amazed at how little effort I needed to keep it moving, I get a few problems with the chain skipping when I peddle, I dont think the chain is in great shape (maybe a stiff link or 2) also the middle spring holding the chain tube broke, so it just swings around (this cant be helping things), I must look in the best way to fix it so the chain feeds on to the rear cassette properly.

I wont be up early chasing UFO bike tomorrow! ha ha, Pumas then KMX in the afternoon, fancy a trip to Stratford, scare a few tourists! must pick up those tubes in the morning!

Cheers

Knoxie

The rear wheel is a piece of cake. Find a brick to use as a "paddock stand" under the frame and it just dangles there waiting to fall out. Had my wheel in and out more times than xysters had birthdays this month :lol:
My pads arn't even half worn yet. To check just take a look down the top with a torch, or pull a pad out to check more carefully. Standard shimano pads fit, whip a pad out and go on ebay and buy the shimano pads that have the hole in the right place (some have it on the side not in the middle). Taking one to a bike shop would work too, anywere that stocks shimano should do them.
Chain woes are a feature of 3.5m long chains:( My cain came off the little tensioner in the first week and sawed right through the bolt that holds it (and the metal spring), so my cain flaps too. The back gears work (with an 11t small ring), but for the front I had to remove the deraliur in order to fit an enormous 57t sprocket. So I ditched the deraliur and the other 2 sprockets, but now every once in a blue moon the cain just pops off te front. I can fix it in situ, still in seat and rolling on the road, but end up with black fingers. Perhaps thats one of the things they will change for the new KMX (if it ever gets released).

Jozzer said:
Had my wheel in and out more times than xysters had birthdays this month :lol:

Strange, illogical UK humor, I haven't had a birthday in years. :) And in and out of what? :twisted:

Ok Joz

Cheers for that, I will check them out, I ditched the front mech and the rear brake as well, If I want to drop it down on the front i just lift it off! ha ha.

Cheers

P

Hey Knoxie,

Is that Warwck that you went through on the video? I lived in the area back in the late 70's, and it looked familiar. I spent most of my time in the Stratford - Alcester area, cutting down Elm trees dying from Dutch Elm Disease. Oy was a lumberjack, was oy! BTW, the KMX looks like a lot of fun, and I want one!

Don

I'm jealous! I've always wanted to see what it'd feel like to have power behind my KMX Tornado. It'd be pretty awesome to ride that thing for miles and miles on end. Hopefully you can post some close up pics of that rig.

:lol: Crikey thats an old thread! dont think I have ever had one woken up from such a long hiatus! yes still got the KMX, the Point 1 lipo packs are long gone, when I run it now it runs on HK Lipo, will post some close ups of the drive, controller and mounts soon. :D

That would be great. Good to hear you still have the ride and are checking out the forum. Looking forward to the pics. I'm always curious about e-powered KMX's!

Saying from experience, the KMX's can do well long distances even w/o e-power. The frame is very well built and has the best warranty ever on a recumbent crucifix trike frame as far as I know. I took mine across 545 miles w/no problems. During some parts with harsh roads, I felt like the wheels were going to break, but it did just fine and 7-days later, I completed the trip from SF to LA. It was a blast and I'm certainly glad I was on a bent and not on an upright DF (diamond frame) bicycle.

Good to know that you're able to last so long on the trike. I've always thought about putting some electric juice into mine. Can't wait to see more updates.

Back