Kona Stinky, no pedals, big block on swingarm.

Wow that's nice ! :)
I follow your project with great interest because you are creating the same bike i want to do (pedal less, moto seat, rc motor in the swing arm,...)

Keep that nice work ! But do you have an idea how you will adapt the back of the seat ? Because he will floating in the air if you didnt make a subframe :)

Yes, I will have to make a subframe.. strong enough to support my bulk crashing down on it but weighing as little as possible, with no fixed place to attach to that is under any part of the seat other than the very front, or is more than 40mm either side of the centreline of the bike, and that doesn't interfere with any part of the suspension mechanism or motor......
That's why I am leaving it till later, when my brain isn't trying to solve other problems at the same time.....

Look forward to see the end result. Hopefully you will be riding soon.

I used to live in broadmeadows and do skyline all the way along the tops of the hills behind wellington to end up in Makara.... Miss having that at the back door! There are no real hills in Melbourne, have to head to the NSW border to find anything worthwhile!

Great to see more Kiwi ingenuity!

Hi, just reading your posts with interest.
I've built two hub drive motors and are considering a mid drive next so I can get better hill climbing without having to stop to let the hub cool down...I've greatly improved my hub setups with oil cooling though.

Anyway I want to throw my 2cents worth in re the batteries...I've just finished a kona stinky build and folded my own box's either side of the frame (10s15ah per side..20s 15ah total); I'm not sure if it is the look you are after though but it allows a 20s 15ah setup, this give me about 45Km range up and down forestry roads at about 25-30Km/hr going up.

Charging is the consideration...for this setup I went for the "iCharger 4010 Duo" from Hobby King. I split the 20s pack to two 10s packs for balance charging with this charger. I bring all the balance leads out to one multi-pin connector, and have made a custom lead for easy connection (if you check out my Giant DH build you can see a similar setup). If you can get a high current 4 pin connector for the main leads, then this makes connection simple, otherwise use the 150 series connectors from HK. A BMS is a tidy way to go but is another thing to fail when you are riding, so I'm riding "bareback" as they say where I use the Cycle analystCA DP v3) to monitor my low voltage cutoff (LVC). I rely purely on the balance charger keep the pack balanced. In 2 years and 3000Km I've been lucky so far, but you do need to look after those LiPo's i.e. put them at storage charge when not using them and keep an eye on the voltages when charging to see how the pack is performing.
I can send some pics and wiring info if you want via email since the files are too big to post.
max.banks@scorch.co.nz

I had stopped working on this to concentrate on my other big project (a 24 inch diameter research grade telescope), which other people are waiting for and I really should have finished over a year ago.
I have made significant progress with the telescope so I have allowed myself a few hours on the bike and have got the aluminium battery mount tray made and ready to mount. I also have the circuit breakers I will build into each battery pack as overload protection and safety switches.
I have now got access to a 3D printer (my brother won it in a raffle!!!) so have also been sketching up plastic parts to mount the circuit breakers in the battery packs, and end covers for the packs themselves.

I will get some photos up soon of the battery tray etc, and try to keep a bit of progress happening.

Meantime, winter is approaching and we have just had the heaviest rain in 40 years, with local flooding, slips, closure of main highways ,cars being washed down roads etc etc, so I guess I am really aiming to have the bike finished for summer (although sooner would be better than later!).
Dave

Back