KONA Ute Cyclone 3000

I finally got my Kona Ute back on the road! It started life as an electric Kona Ute, with a 250W 24V front hub motor but after a controller failure and a battery failure I decided that it wasn't worth putting any more money into such an extremely underpowered bike. The 3000W Cyclone is WAY more power to say the least.

I ordered all the parts from Luna and the installation was really pretty straightforward even though I have no experience with ebikes other than messing around with the stock setup a little. I chose to go with a 60V 24.5ah Panasonic GA battery pack and the 60a bluetooth programable controller. Fortunately, the battery pack fits perfectly inside the smallish triangle. I haven't done any modifications to the mount yet but it will be necessary in the future. There is some flex, especially because the motor doesn't sit flush against the frame but rather presses against a plastic cable cover running on the underside of the down tube. I can either remove the cover completely or just trim it so that it stops above where the motor presses on it. I bought the ISIS bottom bracket but didn't realize that it requires special cranks because of the freewheel so I'm using the square tapered for now. I haven't gone on any real long rides yet, but the range should be pretty good, and so far my max speed was about 35MPH on fairly flat ground.

A few questions that I have:

Has anyone gotten the 60A bluetooth controller to connect to an iPhone? I got it connected to an android but my iPhone won't find the bluetooth module.

How does the controller get a speed input? I don't see any wires on it for a speed sensor, but the android app does show a speedometer and it would be nice to have a tripometer/odometer as well.

I'm using a KMC Z510HX chain for the motor drive, but the missing link doesn't run totally smoothly over the tensioner sprocket. Is it possible to put the chain together without using a missing link? Maybe I missed something else, I think this is the first time I've put a chain together.

Attachments

• IMG_9139B.jpg
    IMG_9139B.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_9137B.jpg
    IMG_9137B.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 1,044
At that power level (67v x 60amps=4000 watts) , do not lug the motor. I burned up my C3000 using less power than that. Better yet, install a temperature sensor in the windings and keep it below 110C.

I glued a Grin Tech temperature sensor to my windings with epoxy and I monitor it with a CycleAnalyst 3. Karl's aquarium temp sensor shuts off at 150F. (65.5C). I tried gluing Karl's temp sensor to the outside of the Cyclone 3000. It's better than nothing, but not really fast enough to protect the motor. The windings can quickly reach 120C while the outside of the motor case just gets a little warm.

I've seen posts where someone takes apart a oven thermometer that will go to 400F and installs a longer wire to the display.

sather said:
At that power level (67v x 60amps=4000 watts) , do not lug the motor. I burned up my C3000 using less power than that. Better yet, install a temperature sensor in the windings and keep it below 110C.

What battery is best to use with a Cyclone in an application like this Kona Ute?

sather said:
Thanks for that, I'll look in to it. I'm considering getting a CA, but the shunts were out of stock at Luna. Maybe I should detune it in the controller settings until I get a better handle on it.

Back